What makes a good map?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro-Pain

¹²M UTXMP Captain
Feb 15, 2004
I agree with iddQd about the importance of basestructurs. I also like when the maps offer something more than just defence v attack like energy-fighting on Lowlands and controling sertain "key points" of a map.
Imo the more tactical a map is the better it is.

...andrelax

SkyBum
Mar 14, 2004
london, uk
unbalanced can be good

FurociousFa said:
sirocco (imo) is a good example of non symmetrical map that is even in terms of tactical advantage/disadvantages, a poor example would be beach assault.
i agree - beachassault was better in intention than execution, though i still like the idea of it, and to be fair i didn't get to test it with teams. the plan was to give one team advantages like a defendable base and the other team different advantages like more power/fast vehicles.

i still think that making a deliberate imbalance like this is an option for others to consider in mapmaking; it just needs a LOT of testing with teams.

(if you get the chance, i'd appreciate comments on beachassault here or on pm.)

Last edited:

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
One thing I forgot.... stagger the deploy times, PLEASE. Its very frustrating get killed, and have to wait an eternity to get back on the field to just miss the spawn, and all the spawns go at the same time. grrr.

Go-Bot

Shadow Leadership
Jan 23, 2004
over there somewhere
all i have to say is lowlands or rampant .. by far the best maps ever in xmp many routes to take. not to much energy(one enclosed other seaside exposed). lots of deploys allowing the battle for ground be intresting. (well sorta lots of deploys) and both the bases are the same making it fair for defensive strats and not only that a player doesnt fall asleep tryin to get to the other base or to backup up teammate or artifact carrier ... and most important of all FPS!!!!! a map with bad fps isnt worth playing in my opinion

1. FPS!
2. good balance
3. cover but not to much like rolling hills or something (the node needs cover)
4. allow the characters in the map to depend on eachothers abilities health,ammo,repairs .. but shields and health stations slightly away from the node is awesome . no ammo! (stops deployable spamming)
5. only a few gens 2 or 4
6. awesome stationary guns/turrets also make the map fun (but not over kill) always liked the carnival turrets hehe :p

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
energy fights are fun
lowlands,naularn are good maps that demands strategy from both teams to succeed at winning and teamwork!!!!

fireball

Reach out and torch someone
Two energy maps are a different gameplay from, say, Nakoja. Lowlands/Naularn (I love Naularn btw :)) require much more effort on midfield while Nakoja requires more offense/defense. Different player classes prefer different maps. Being a tech on mid/off, I like Lowlands and Naularn. Arti carriers and gunners (defense anyway) won't because they won't be able to whore energy usage.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
um.. yeah.. I guess.. if strategy means, don't ever deploy anything and don't drive the jugg or your team will run out of energy and die...

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
you can deploy enough when the game gets going,most of the turrets get destroyed inmediately, it's just that the beginning of the game shows the teams strength and weaknesses. If you go turretfarming in the first min of the game without gens
well that's just silly.

»Bb«StarFox

Aug 18, 2004
hey, i have some sketches of sum maps i thot may be good. i can send them to u raptor if u want. it may give u some good ideas, unless ya dont need them.

Last edited:

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
»Bb«Ñ£§ said:
i like the nbk server map :)

The 12M dueling map? I'm not sure if Dust still reads these forums, but I'm sure he would be pleased to have a fan :)

Status
Not open for further replies.