UED question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
fireball said:
How do I place the supply stations (health/shield/armor)? It's the only thing I can't find...
in the Actor class browser, go to Inventory->PowerUp->PowerStation-> and the placeable classes are listed there.

Peter Carlson

XMP Programmer
Sep 4, 2003
I think the icon points "forward" so just rotate the thing until it's where you like it? Been a while since I looked at that stuff so I may be totally wrong.

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
if you're talking about the sprite that shows in game to i.d. the station, that's supposed to be off-center, between two of the uprights, is that what you mean?

fireball

Reach out and torch someone
Ok, I've been working on improving XMP-aftermath (nice map but some wierd flaws). I couldn't find who made it so I hope they don't mind. So far I have:
Rotated Blue Raptor 180 dregrees so it no longer faces the base wall
Fixed the triple hack-time on the ridge generators
Unhacked all generators by default
Added two deploy points (opposite corners, away from the bases)
Both bases now have a health depot on the lower level and a shield depot on the upper level
Ammo depot in the central tower
Added a lot of landmarks (the original had two)

Only problem is the bases I placed the deploy points on have textures that don't match the map and I don't know where to find the proper ones, having examined every file in the XMP directory. They look a tad too yellowish. But if someone could host this I'd be happy to allow people to download it :)

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
In a Nuclear Missile Silo
While we are on this subject, how do I make a skybox?

I know how to do it in the UED2, and set it up. Made seperate box, popped in skyzone info thingie, set the appropriate texture to fake backdrop, clicked the little joystick.

Nothing happens though. So could somebody post a step-by-step walkthrough for how to do this? Thanks.

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
click in a Dynamic Light mode viewport to make it the active window then hit "K", the hotkey for View>ShowBackdrop. that should do it.

alternately, right-click on the gray strip at the top of the viewport, select View in the pop-up, and "Show Backdrop" from the rollout.

be sure to add a ZoneInfo to your main subtract (with the FakeBackdrop surfaces) or your skybox won't work online -- this added ZoneInfo will override any LevelInfo lighting, fog, etc., that you may have set, so you may need to tweak it a bit.

fireball

How does one place turrets? My turrets never actually appear there when I tell it to place "GardenTurret" or whatever. (Using Pawn->XMPStationaryTurret->Whatever)

Edit: second problem. On spawn, I immediately "fall to my death." Not a clue how to fix this one, and yes I did rebuild the map.

Last edited:

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
this is what i do for Garden-style turrets:

select the GardenTurret in the Actor class browser;
right-click in map to place GardenTurret & move to position;
select TurretProxy in the Actor class browser;
right-click in map to place TurretProxy & move to position;
in TurretProxy properties, got to UseProxy>UseMaster & enter object name of the GardenTurret.

note that in the Editor, only the base of the GardenTurret is visible -- the rest spawns in-game. same for the TurretProxyBall.

which brings up a prob i've been trying to solve lately with very erratic results -- the TurretProxyBall spawns in proper alignment with the TurretProxy when you playtest from the Editor, but not in net play. i've tried literally dozens of code methods to realign the TurretProxyBalls after they spawn, but haven't been able to get it to work properly. has anyone found out how to do this reliably?

edit____________
well, i seem to have found an answer to the TurretProxyBall alignment prob, though i can't say for sure why this approach works & others i tried that were nearly identical didn't. gremlins, i guess.

Last edited:

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
fireball said:
Thats the problem. Right-click to place the turret has no effect.

does the "Place GardenTurret here" option not come up at all? if not, try right-clicking in an ortho view after hiding the other actors in the map.

if the option does appear, immediately after choosing to place the turret, hit F4 to bring up its properties -- sometimes the actor gets placed way the hell & gone if you place in the Dynamic Lighting mode (3D) window, making it practically "invisible." set its location to 0,0,0 so it'l be easy to find.

otherwise, i can't say what the prob is -- never ran into it (yet).

fireball

Ok.. I got turrets by opening another map and copy/pasting them. Problem is, they don't respawn. I suspect it's due to conflicting actor names - but where do I change this?
[Edit: nope, UED did assign them all the correct names and references.. still working on this one]
[Edit2: Argh, turret base thingys have thier own spawn delay.. which was set ridiculously high. Solved.]
I also found out the reason I was dieing on spawn was that the deploys were just ever so slightly in the ground. Oops.

Last edited:

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
here's something else to try -- make sure you're right-clicking in a subtracted space when trying to place the turrets. i could only get the CarnivalTurret to place properly outside my main subtract -- the others gave me the same results as you report. within the main subtract, no probs.

fireball

Ok.. I now present to you XMP-Boxworld! Complete with Lighting From Nowhere (tm), turrets that can point at spawn points, misaligned textures on every wall, all of 6 (!) textures used, and no room to hide whatsoever!
Yeah, whatever. I proved that I can actually use UED, so I'll let people have it so they have something to refer to as one of the worst maps ever ;)
Oh, and when you load the map, look in the server console (might only work with webadmin, didn't check)

Attachments

• XMP-boxworld.zip
    88 KB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.