Computer Problems/Upgrades/Info

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
12-19-2003

Got a big night tonight.
Have to move the room around for the new desk (it's gonna be sweet!)... which means I have to take the comp apart and put it back together... and since I'll be doing that, I might just install XP Pro tonight too.
That, of course, will require a slight bit of cd burning.
Once I get everything put together, I'll come into IRC while I'm burning my backups... then I'll be gone for another hour or two... and return when the change is complete.

:)

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
«BuA»Lurker_71 said:
Got a big night tonight.
Have to move the room around for the new desk (it's gonna be sweet!)... which means I have to take the comp apart and put it back together... and since I'll be doing that, I might just install XP Pro tonight too.
That, of course, will require a slight bit of cd burning.
Once I get everything put together, I'll come into IRC while I'm burning my backups... then I'll be gone for another hour or two... and return when the change is complete.

:)
'
Well while your doing all that lets go ahead and MOD you a Black Sonata case. It would look sweet with the new desk...
Note for all Assassins: If you are in the market for a new case check out my Sonata, I can custom mod the window for ya..

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
I've been postponing wiping my system drive and doing a Fresh OS install for a while now, but seeing as I just received XP Pro from the FedEx guy, I think I'll do that now.
Considering the ease with which XP Home installed my cable modem, I don't see there being any problems getting the internet back up... but I wanted to leave this note just in case.

Seeya soon. :)

Shattered_Steel

Birthed of Destruction
Mar 9, 2002
Kettering, OH
I've been having some problems during my comp restarts sometimes, where it would lock up just after I rebooted. I've tracked it down to my anti-virus program, which I've now uninstalled. Anyone know of any good free anti-virus programs to replace my old one?

DarkGeneral13

ÐârkGéñ
Apr 14, 2004
UK
When i had a problem with windows i found that a free programme called XPDite stoped those annoying "can't find DLL" from showing up. Not sure if the problem is fixed or not but it's ok now :D

DarkGeneral13

ÐârkGéñ
Apr 14, 2004
UK
Yup, got them m8, they came out last Monday *i think* What do you guys think of Dual Screen ? I bet it's gonna be expensive :(

DrahguneyeZ

Spirit of the Dragon
Jul 23, 2002
Canada
cynicdesign.cjb.net
Dual screen only means you gotta buy another Monitor. I have 4 monitors in my house but 1 is on another comp 1 of them is like a yellow color (really ugly) and the other 1 has to monitor cable.. I just gotta get a monitor cable for it and ill set up dual monitors.

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
*Bump*

I wanted to alert you all to a lil problem I had to deal with for about 2 hours yesterday morning.

Downloader.Apropos.D

This is spyware, but much MUCH worse... it's a trojan... and it's damn hard to get rid of.

Spybot S&D couldn't get rid of it.
Webroot Spysweeper couldn't get rid of it.

AVG Anti-virus couldn't get rid of it.

I had to manually remove this Trojan, myself... but there's more to it than that...
You see, if you try to delete this straight off your HDD, it reboots your system and reinstalls itself.
There's only one way around it;

Boot into safe mode, find the directory that it was installed (Root:/Windows/system32, in my case), and manually delete it.
No no.. that's not all.
Then you have to go to Start>Run>regedit and look under Local Machine>Software>Auto Loader and delete any references to ADupdater, etc... there was only one under auto loader, so it was pretty simple for me.

After doing this, you'll want to go reboot and run Spybot S&D, Spyware Sweeper, any other adware proggies you have, remove everything regarding Apropos, and then run your anti-virus again to make sure there are no other trojans on your system that Apropos was hiding from you.

After doing this, AVG found another trojan called Siboco embedded in my windows media player, and the only way I could fix it was to completely uninstall it.

You guys should check into this immediately... as in right now.

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
I suppose the most important question I have is What Program did you install or Email Attachment did you open that caused this Trojan to install itself??

Did someone send you something?? Was you looking for a good Donwloading Program?? Can you give us more detail as to how you got infected??

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
TAZTG said:
I suppose the most important question I have is What Program did you install or Email Attachment did you open that caused this Trojan to install itself??

Did someone send you something?? Was you looking for a good Donwloading Program?? Can you give us more detail as to how you got infected??

I wish there was something specific I could tell you, but the only things I've downloaded in the last few weeks have been from BU, on the server, and my email... all of which were scanned automatically.
Besides that, I really don't surf much... so I have no idea how it got there.

I know I contracted a virus from browsing through a web page, while looking for pics for a sig... sucker just popped right up.

Sorry I couldn't tell you more.

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
I just found a Trojan today, it was caught by McAfee when I started TS up.

Scanning now for more crap..

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 11