Bullet Run Using Unreal Engine 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
It's hard as hell telling which games are using the Unreal Engine these days, unless they come right out and say it. I'm now going to assume that they all use UE3 unless told otherwise. Yes, it's like that.

But I digress.

Bullet Run (Steam), a free-to-play FPS with a Running Man-type storyling, is one such game using UE3. One of the developers of the game is a reader of BeyondUnreal and wrote in to give us the heads-up and I am now passing it along. While I'm not usually one to get into F2P models, I must admit that this one looks pretty damn good. Have a look:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
reality TV game show

One thing for sure the originality isn't really there: TV Show / Bullet Run.

Well at least it's free to play and it looks pretty well polished by visual quality. Might as well give it a shot.

While I'm not usually one to get into F2P models..

I see this very often around here, and I don't get it.

It seems like people MUST pay for their games, but they won't necessarily dedicate the same amount of time they would with a F2P game, which they don't have to spend money for (Most real$ items in F2P games are obtainable to free players, it just takes more time and dedication.) and even if they did, it's probably 10 to 30$.

I have exactly 200 hours logged into Tribes Ascend, at least twice the amount in Vindictus, and easily close to the same amount on TF2, and I'll probably spend all these hours combined together on FireFall once it is released. All F2P games (except I bought TF2 back then)

It's not even a choice, it's just design concepts, these games were more enjoyable than most paid games I've had recently.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
OK

After installing all the bloatware like Punkbuster this thing comes it, I was greeted with at least 5 logo screens.

They have an option for Crouch toggle on/off, but not ADS toggle on/off??
I am pulling my hair right now, I do not want ADS toggle on, it is the most horrible thing ever!

EDIT:

Can you expound upon that?
I can, I played an hour and half. I can't recommend this game.

• EU/NA-W only servers.
  • It is very inconsistent - doesn't feel like guns, it feels like random airsoft.
  • The only sense you are getting when you hit someone are the hit markers, remove them and shooting is 100% bland. Even then...
  • The shooting/moving mechanics are nothing you haven't seen before (Crouch/Jump/ADS)
  • Level design has a lot of "Looks like a place I can go" blocked-off by invisible walls.
  • Everyone starts with MP5, I got an assault rifle, SMG's are pretty much the only thing you need with the mostly cramped level design.
  • Odd healing design (starting with a level 1 medigel which adds you +20 HP for every use on a ~4 minutes cooldown.. really?)
  • Leveling is everything and has huge advantages (can't be a good thing in a open shooter like this)
  • Quick-join matchmaking returns quite a few "Match is full" popups.

I don't understand why anyone would want to keep going. Their character customisation is very, very limited even. They currently lack content to make it up as well.

I like good F2P games, but this is not a good F2P game. If anything, BulletRun is a mediocre-average shooter with odd and redundant design decisions.

I'll pass.

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
From what I gleaned, it uses a "wear'n'tear" system
Weapon starts at 100 usability. Get to 0, you do half-damage
Ingame gold can only get you up to 90, real cash, 100
Supposedly by the time you wear your weapon down to 0, you've barely earned enough to repair it back to 90. Also means if you wear the weapon down to 0 and you don't have enough ingame gold to repair it, you're stuck with a weakened weapon

Basically it sounds like the game is set up to elbow you towards paying real cash to avoid massive amounts of grinding

And apparently paid subscribers don't have level restrictions on weapons

Take this with a grain of salt tho as the complaints I found were on 3rd party forums as BulletRun doesn't have it's own dedicated forums(not even on Steam's forums)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I see this very often around here, and I don't get it.

It seems like people MUST pay for their games, but they won't necessarily dedicate the same amount of time they would with a F2P game, which they don't have to spend money for (Most real$ items in F2P games are obtainable to free players, it just takes more time and dedication.) and even if they did, it's probably 10 to 30$.

Because I have yet to play one that I liked well enough to continue.

Basically it sounds like the game is set up to elbow you towards paying real cash to avoid massive amounts of grinding

And apparently paid subscribers don't have level restrictions on weapons

And this

Go&nd

Meow
Jul 3, 2002
Visit site
hal, have you tried Tribes Ascend and given it a fair chance? I haven't enjoyed a competitive online shooter like this since the days when I played way too much of the original UT from 2000 to 2003. For me personally, it's sort of like the spiritual successor to UT I never quite found in any of the official sequels.