Gamespy & Unreal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clock

Nov 12, 1999
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Visit site
Are other people having difficulty finding servers using Gamespy? It seems to be very flaky lately. I tested it by setting up my dedicated Server (Dangerous Visions) and seeing if Gamespy would pick it up. It didn't. But the multiplayer search engine in Unreal DID pick it up! Furthermore, even with a ping display of 9999, I could enter my own game through Gamespy, and play it with a ping of 54.

What gives. Is this a problem between me and Gamespy, or do any others have similar complaints. It USED to show my server. Mind you, I haven't upgraded Gamespy, but it worked before.

BadAss

Nov 10, 1999
Visit site
Did you go to Tools->Gamespy Updates and update the "games" and "master server" lists? That's the first thing you have to do after install gamespy because GS is always being upgraded (not the version, the server and map lists).

If you don't you are still using the default server list which may be outdated, depending on the version you have.

I have no problems with GS recently. GS picked up my server right away after starting it up.

BadAss

Clock

Nov 12, 1999
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Visit site
Yes, Badass, I regularly update the server list. Thing is, Gamespy has been working up to very recently. I fired up my server today, and came back about 30 mins later to find no-one had shown up. Nor an hour after that. A little detective work showed me it was because Gamespy, which is what most people use, would not list me as available. My server name was amidst the plentiful 9999 ping group. And nobody trys to join with a ping like that :-))

Thanks for your input though. I'll try again Sunday.

bullet2.gif

Clock
Unreal, Heretic II, Hexen II

Status
Not open for further replies.