lol is english

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
you're not going there because you don't have an argument.
at least not a good one.
Oh wow, nobody fools you. :rolleyes:

This is exactly why I wont bother to write it all out and why I definitely don't participate in threads like these or controversial political threads. You're always going to be a raging idiot to one or more people who are so damn cocksure they're right.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Because it has been cultured and popularized by world of social networking and I think that describes the frequent users of said websites. Are you really going to tell me that the majority of the comments you find on social sites aren't the worst and most trivial diarrhea to find on the internet?

This has nothing to do with anything. Also, the only comments I read on social sites are those from my friends, so, no, they aren't the worst and most trivial diarrhea I find on the internet. BUF is waaaaaaaaay worse.

So, you're perfectly okay with one of your students handing in a paper using OMG/LOL/♥, as long as they're used correctly and proficiently? I can't even imagine where I want to use that unless discussing this very topic. They're much better ways to describe that feeling when you type out "lol" (and you're not even laughing), it's just quicker and easier to most people.

1day we all b typing liek dis cuz every1 on da interbutts b doin it. nething else wuld b intolerance & fundamentalism kk ^_^
**** evolvs yo, git used 2 it

No, I'm not okay with my students handing in a paper using OMG/LOL/♥. Likewise I'm not okay with my students handing in a paper using profanity, nor overly archaic language, nor language that is overly familiar and casual.

Different types of language are used for different occasions. You wouldn't use a second person address (such as began this sentence) in a formal paper. Likewise, one would not use a formal third person address (such as in this sentence) in a more casual article. Likewise, lol is a perfectly acceptable form of speech within the context of digital communication (and since a HUGE percentage of communication is done through electronic means and since it is imperative, because of the confessional and yet impersonal nature of the internet, to have a shorthand for tone, things like lol become absolutely vital); even though it would not be acceptable within more formal types of speech where even full, grammatically correct sentences which announce intention (such as: Of course, I'm only joking) are gauche.

If you don't yet realize that different circumstances have different accepted forms of accepted language and tone and that there is no one which is the only correct one, I cry for the stilted nature of your social interactions.

& hoo cairs th@ 1 dei well all rite like this? We uesd 2 rite like: "Whilom, as olde stories tellen us,/Ther was a duc that highte Theseus;/Of Atthenes he was lord and governour,/And in his tyme swich a conquerour" shuld we stil rite liek th@? How DARE we bastardize the language from "tyme" to time and "highte" to height! OH THE HUMANITY! IT'S DIFFERENT! EVERYTHING IS HORRIBLE NOW!

Seriously, chill.

~Jason

Last edited: