Why an expansion?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mabz

Mar 31, 2005
A storyline is something I look forward to simply because I do not have a fast enough connection to play UT on-line. It really adds to my satisfaction of a game I purchased. Sure there are bots but AI at some point gets limited and sure there are LAN's but unfortunately, once in a while for me.
IMOT

Forgetful

Here is party?
Sep 21, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
Visit site
Single player is a waste of time if you are trying to appeal to the old school FPS gamer. Make some tutorial levels and go! Concentrate on community tools and network tools. Scrap everything else because it doesn't matter.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Single player is a waste of time if you are trying to appeal to the old school FPS gamer. Make some tutorial levels and go! Concentrate on community tools and network tools. Scrap everything else because it doesn't matter.

That's not really correct, whilst its true that the SP ladders/campaigns are not very important in the grand scheme of things, sure people have played them, even enjoyed them, but its not what people have been playing much of Offline, Instant Action is.

UT has allways had a big offline community playing Instant Action matches, and thease are all copies sold, more money in Epic's pocket, and that means they are more willing to spend time and resources on post-release support for the game, getting rid of this portion of the community would not benifit anyone, on the contrary.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Story-shmory. Why really look for a story in UT at all?

Single player nubs who want a story just don't understand what an arena FPS is all about and what the real stories in an FPS are. The real stories might take the form of:

"Clan X defeated Clan Y to take the top rung of the Competitive Ladder, making them the current champions. Clan W is now issuing a challenge to Clan X."

"Player J and Player K have been doing a lot of **** talking lately and will settle it in a 1v1."

"New PUG match channel for 125 speed regular weapons CTF is now open and gaining in popularity and activity."

"Player G just formed a new clan and took half of his old clan with him, creating bad blood between clan members who were loyal to the clan leader."

"Custom map A looks to be one of the hottest new maps."

Last edited:

Forgetful

Here is party?
Sep 21, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
Visit site
Single player nubs who want a story just don't understand what an arena FPS is all about and what the real stories in an FPS are. The real stories might take the form of:

"Clan X defeated Clan Y to take the top rung of the Competitive Ladder, making them the current champions. Clan W is now issuing a challenge to Clan X."

"Player J and Player K have been doing a lot of **** talking lately and will settle it in a 1v1."

"New PUG match channel for 125 speed regular weapons CTF is now open and gaining in popularity and activity."

"Player G just formed a new clan and took half of his old clan with him, creating bad blood between clan members who were loyal to the clan leader."

Wow. That has to be the most accurate statement I have ever read regarding arena FPS. My hats off to you sir.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
It's not the story attracting us to the game as much as it is the notion that once you establish a universe, and it gains a following, you should stay true to it. Doing otherwise is just kicking yourself in the foot regardless of whether the story is complex or not. You are fragmenting the franchise with a half assed reinvention rather than building it up. I could even understand if they decided to make the games have NOTHING to do with each other, but they all share a handful of characters and weapons - however those characters and weapons never stay remotely consistent with their namesake counterparts, and everything else is so different that the games could have easily been called Toontown Tournament 2004 or Unreal: EmoGuy vs DemoGuy - same difference.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
If you're going to call 'us' names then you've already lost any hope of ever attracting new players to your games.

Besides ... if it were that easy then why have multi-player fags like you not made a mod ?
An arena-style game only needs a few maps and weapons, doesn't it ?
Should cost you no more than a week ...

Mabz

Mar 31, 2005

Well then, thank goodness for the selfless guys at Epic who took their time to actually code a single player experience and bot AI for us 'nubs' who have been playing the game since Unreal was born and couldn't play it on-line because of our connection. I'm sure there are a lot of players that would have been part of a clan and competiting with clans worldwide if they had the means to.

Rujman

Mar 20, 2008
Epic should just have one or the other so that they can focus on polished products. Single player people with bad connections can then have their own game dedicated to an immersive single player experience rather than a series of botmatches thrown at the end of the game's production. Multiplayer people can have their own game with perfected online play.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
It's not merely bad ... it is awful.
Besides we already know that on-line games without story-lines don't sell ...

Mabz

Mar 31, 2005
Come to think of it, there are not that many games made solely for on-line gaming (I could be wrong); WOW does come to me as an all on-line game. The whole Call of Duty singleplayer was superb and the multiplayer experience as rewarding. Quake 4 is a combination of both multiplayer andd singleplay. So is Crysis.

To Rujman: I didn't get you right; are you suggesting an immerse singleplayer such as Half-Life 2 and later on a completed expansion to add on multiplay, like TeamFortress (ofcourse not cellshaded, but more developmental focus on multiplay)? Cause if that's your point, it could give the community time to help Epic develop maps, mutators etc.