Why aren't you playing right now?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Why aren't you playing UT3 instead of reading this?

• Total voters

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
My PC went emo and imploded yesterday evening.
Goodbye Q6600! Goodbye 8800GTS640!
(I won't say goodbye to my PSU that caused all this but won't cover it under the warranty, since such a lowly creation does not deserve to be spoken to directly)

LIES!, you're just fed up of getting owned by Meelobee & Conjo ;)

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
LIES!, you're just fed up of getting owned by Meelobee & Conjo ;)

...How did you get that information? There must be an informant in our midst!:con:

Ehm, well, the PSU was a Chieftec 500W with all the necessary precautions...
except after the fuse went out, the whole PSU started arcing and electrocuted my entire rig anyway...nice...
It wasn't until I pulled the plug that it stopped.
I'm guessing malfunction+fatigue here, but I could be wrong.

Also, I'm wondering how the hell the main fuse in the house didn't blow after a 500W appliance short-circuited :/

Last edited:

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
update on why I am not playing. My computer has video issues, ever since I updated my drivers for my 7900 GS's, i get weird little dots. In UT3 is will just lock up after a few minutes and in COD4, if i pause the game to give my kid a toy he through at the keyboard..again, the screen goes black with more colorful weird dots. I can press "esc" and get back in game, but the screen stays the same. I probably need a new vid card...already :( It hit one year and bam! It went to ass on me.

This post doubles as a reason and a question :p

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Sounds like your card is dying. Sounds like artifacting.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I can't afford a new card, i am still paying for this PC :/ Gotta call Dell I guess.

and btw, I have had a few weird, typically red, dots on the screen for about 7 months now. At first I though it was my monitor, but it shows up on my TV when I connect them as well.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
LostSoul, do you have proper cooling on the card? Do you know what temperatures it runs at? And is it overclocked? Whenever a GFX card is overclocked too far, it runs too hot and starts doing what you describe.
It also does that when it breaks, but it might just be something simple...

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
LostSoul, do you have proper cooling on the card? Do you know what temperatures it runs at? And is it overclocked? Whenever a GFX card is overclocked too far, it runs too hot and starts doing what you describe.
It also does that when it breaks, but it might just be something simple...

I got a huge 120mm fan blowing on the two cards. The last time I checked (while it was having the dots, but not the more serious issues), the temperature was ok, although I have not checked since it got worse, I shall when I get home. It is not overclocked, i have a personal motto of only overclocking my components when I have to start running games at the lowest settings.

Bringing up the temperature thing reminds me that I should probably blow out the computer again, thanks for the idea :D

EDIT
This is what I get for choosing the 2 cheaper cards rather than the one more expensive one :/

Jordan L

Jan 20, 2008
Still looking for a Stainless Steel 800watt 14 Speed Wave Pulse Action Blender, getting closer.

Thanatos45

Frag-tastic
Mar 19, 2004
Dutchieland
I am not playing since the servers are empty anyway (sorry but I'm not hardcore enough to waste my time populating a (near) empty server in the hopes of filling it up that way) and because Epic has removed team shuffling between games, in my experience you lose one game and you're almost guaranteed to lose all following games (or vice versa with winning) until the teams have been sufficiently altered over time by leaving and joining players, which makes things pretty boring to me.

Also I spend a lot of my gaming time playing other games that are simply more interesting to me at the moment.

$hagratH

Jan 24, 2008
I am not playing since the servers are empty anyway (sorry but I'm not hardcore enough to waste my time populating a (near) empty server in the hopes of filling it up that way) and because Epic has removed team shuffling between games, in my experience you lose one game and you're almost guaranteed to lose all following games (or vice versa with winning) until the teams have been sufficiently altered over time by leaving and joining players, which makes things pretty boring to me.

Also I spend a lot of my gaming time playing other games that are simply more interesting to me at the moment.

jipp agree
hope i dnt get a warning now again for quoting you on this:eek:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Because I'm wondering why I can't connect to a/the server to create/register my profile online.

Yes, my firewall exceptions are set but it keeps coming back with connection failed etc.

Can anyone link me to a decent thread on this?

Thanks.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
I just got done playing a bot match and I am taking a break. :)

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Played a few matches on me server. No one showed up :(. I did kick bot ass though!!

Also, that BIAVote mutator I threw on there is awesome! :)

Oh and it helps I got my redirect working!

[edit] Manticore: Disable the firewall altogether.

Last edited: