Adrenaline in UT2007, Yay or Nay?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should Epic keep Adrenaline in UT2007?

• Yay

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • Nay

Votes: 67 58.8%

• Total voters

UTGirl

Link(gun) Lady
Adrenaline is a quite cool thing, I voted yes (or yay) but the consumption rate should be revised as well as the possibility to gain (maybe remove those pickups, they are pretty much useless IMO) and make more combos! eg Shield Belt-like Invulnerability for some secs...

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
EL BOURIKO said:
In fact, the REAL skill is maybe to collect or gather adrenalin faster than your opponent.

Kinda sounds like "The real skill in a Mario game is how fast you can collect coins."

It seems like 50% of people who play this FPS think it should be mainly about the art of fraggin, and for some reason the other 50% think it should be focused on something else. It's a first persons shooter. It's not first person item collector.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
-AEnubis- said:
Kinda sounds like "The real skill in a Mario game is how fast you can collect coins."

It seems like 50% of people who play this FPS think it should be mainly about the art of fraggin, and for some reason the other 50% think it should be focused on something else. It's a first persons shooter. It's not first person item collector.
Fighting for pickups causes players to be aggressive. It makes for more "inyourface" combat. If players couldn't retreat from a long-distance attack and replenish their health. Players would rely on long-distance and spam, because those are easiest and they require the smallest engagement possible, and the other player can't replenish his health so there isn't a need to keep the heat on a player.

Without items there wouldn't be a need for moving through the map. There needs to benefits for moving through a map. Camping punisher thing is cheesy.

What is this art of fragging? Without pickups it's hardly about the art of fragging. It's more about the art of not getting shot and not going into uncomfortable situations. Not getting shot is fun, but it would be nice if players could fight aggressively over things, like pickups. The only reason so many people grow to not like pickups is because it requires some thought and multitasking which most newcomers aren't likely to be able to do when first learning the game's movement and weaponry. If the pickup system was more intuitive for newcomers(pickup countdown timer or a loud sound through out the level when a specific pickup is about to spawn), then more newbies would know when the pickup is spawning and when they have to fight for it.

Some other players don't like fighting for things. They like sticking to high ground and staying in situations that make it easier for them to control their surroundings. I don't care for this. I prefer having an objective important enough to make me go into uncomfortable and less easily controllable areas, to add more action to the game.

The last thing I want to see is a TAM-like TDM for ut2007. :thowsup:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Heh, yeah, I know your opinion on that, I've heard it stated in as long a thread at least 6 times.

I take it that means you still haven't seen how one can be aggressive in TAM. Damn shame, it's extremely entertaining to watch.

The really funny thing is, not being equipped in TDM makes me totally stand offish. I run until I'm comfy to frag, and don't engauge until then. Being equipped is what makes me aggressive. Why would you not be unless you were out matched? Why wouldn't I run from a confrontation I'm losing if I know I can re-up and possibly not die? You got nothing to run for in TAM, and the better players, know and display that.

Might as well put your head down, shield up, and charge.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
briachiae said:
So.. play CTF...

There should be more pickups, imho, like back in UT to help make people see the benefits of moving about mind.

But TDM is about owning zones, not running willy nilly. That's what FFA's for, which could see more pups indeed.

If you want a real *purpose* to playing the game, play the gametype that *has* a purpose. ONS/CTF/BR/Overdose(UC2)/DOM....

That's what they're there for.

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
-AEnubis- said:

OK, let s say that collecting adrenaline is one skill (in the middle of many other ones). IMO adrenaline adds a bit more tactic since it gives the chance to take control over one more parameter.

If everything is about art of fraggin (if I understand correctly what you say), then in a way you suggest that everything else (health and shield items, Flag, goal,...) should then disappear. i respect your point of view, but for me, I really doubt that the game would remain as interesting as it is then.
I use to agree with most of what you say AEnubis, but on this special point I do not.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
Adren for CTF is fun but i dont think it works well in the end...

maybe the best option is to go back to pickups (random like relics) and have them off by default.

the biggest prob with Adren i think is that it split the CTF community up over its use and players still cant decide if its great or stinks...

i like it, but im just as happy without it and think that a better system of special powerups can be used.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
edhe said:
So.. play CTF...

There should be more pickups, imho, like back in UT to help make people see the benefits of moving about mind.

But TDM is about owning zones, not running willy nilly. That's what FFA's for, which could see more pups indeed.

If you want a real *purpose* to playing the game, play the gametype that *has* a purpose. ONS/CTF/BR/Overdose(UC2)/DOM....

That's what they're there for.
Yes I agree with you on pups > adren, and I think pups > no pups, aswell. That is what I was trying to communicate in my previous post.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
EL BOURIKO said:
...but on this special point I do not.

Few do. I've been doing a lot of thinkin' about the subject lately, and I used to think it was fixable. Unfortunately, all the aspects of how items are handled that I don't like, to fix, would make them so random, that it would make luck to large of a factor in a game.

One thing I had kinda forgot about, or not considered, is the idea of having so many powerups, that it would be next to impossible to "control" all of them. That I honestly think would be a good idea for DM/TDM.

I just like to BS about it for fun though, I'm pretty much done with TDM unless it changes drastically in the near future, or I get stuck with nothing else to play.

I really only strayed from the subject, because I think it's funny when people refer to collecting items as an important/difficult skill in this game.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
-AEnubis- said:
Few do. I've been doing a lot of thinkin' about the subject lately, and I used to think it was fixable. Unfortunately, all the aspects of how items are handled that I don't like, to fix, would make them so random, that it would make luck to large of a factor in a game.

One thing I had kinda forgot about, or not considered, is the idea of having so many powerups, that it would be next to impossible to "control" all of them. That I honestly think would be a good idea for DM/TDM.

I just like to BS about it for fun though, I'm pretty much done with TDM unless it changes drastically in the near future, or I get stuck with nothing else to play.

I really only strayed from the subject, because I think it's funny when people refer to collecting items as an important/difficult skill in this game.
It's not a skill. It focuses the combat and adds more stucture to the game. If I previously implied collecting items is a difficult skill, then I'm sorry for doing so. Pickups forces the players to confront eachother or pay the consequences. It also adds more flow to the map and brings more tactical and strategical elements to the game.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
nELsOn said:
to me adrenaline was one of the worst things to happen to ut...
Personally, I think it's the way that adrenaline was done that was so bad, not adrenaline itself.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
Sir_Brizz said:
Personally, I think it's the way that adrenaline was done that was so bad, not adrenaline itself.
How do you think it should have been done?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Neophoenix said:
How do you think it should have been done?
There shouldn't have been pickups, nd IMO it doesn't belong in the Core gametypes. Adrenaline seems much more fit for the warfare gametypes (excluding AS) than for the standard ones.