Will Epic guarantee the elimination of cheating in 2k7?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
What ? Do I hear that Epic should waste their time anticheating efforts and put up with constant whining from certain players instead of concentrating on polishing the game off ? Leave that to third parties. There are a few masochistic mod authors out there who are more than willing to put up with insults and personal attacks ^^ .

Persefone

Ms God!
Jun 2, 2005
Azura said:
What ? Do I hear that Epic should waste their time anticheating efforts and put up with constant whining from certain players instead of concentrating on polishing the game off ? Leave that to third parties. There are a few masochistic mod authors out there who are more than willing to put up with insults and personal attacks ^^ .

Yes, Epic should waste their time, an online FPS without an efficient anti-cheat system is useless.

Of course third parties efforts are welcome.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
There is no such thing as an efficient anti-cheat system.
Every single one causes too many problems for legitimate players, while the cheaters won't have any at all.

If Epic were to hire cheaters then you'd get all kinds of idiots writing cheats just so they can be hired. I'm not sure that's a good situation either.

But suppose Epic manages to kill any cheaters that directly interfere with their program, while still allowing for customcontent. The next point of entry would be the communication between player & server which would make reliable netcode for low-bandwidth connections a problem (any security/encryption will result in more bandwidth and thus more lag & related problems).
I'm not sure if that is a desirable endresult.

And if it is anything like WEP-keys as used by WiFi then you might as well play on password-protected servers.