UT3 storyline

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
UC2, now there's an underplayed game

I think they could have done both - A Tournament Ladder with CTF, DM, TDM, Challlenge! After completing that a Warfare/Invasion/Assault ladder would open - a prelude to the tournament!

Again, I reiterate just how awesome UC2 was on this front. It not only had a campaign mode, but it also had a tournament mode for all the characters.

I'm not sure what you mean by a Tournament Ladder being a prelude to the tournament....

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Again, I reiterate just how awesome UC2 was on this front. It not only had a campaign mode, but it also had a tournament mode for all the characters.

I'm not sure what you mean by a Tournament Ladder being a prelude to the tournament....

I mean when you finish the main Tournament Ladders, It unlocks another campaign for Warfare/Assault.

In the original UT, the Necris invasion's have already happened - that how Necris prisoners of war are in the tourney!

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .

I liked everything about UC2, but since this thread focuses on plot, I'll stick to that: Having a game where the storyline and gameplay don't conflict is nice. What I mean is that the campaign and multiplayer mode have the same gameplay (same characters, character-specific stats etc) but they worked both ways in either campaign or multiplayer mode.

The thing with UT3 on the other hand, however, is that the gameplay is the same for campaign as it is for InstantAction/Multiplayer but the gameplay for single player just... doesn't work.

"Respawners totally changed the war!"

Uh... I bought Unreal Tournament 3, not Gears of War: Emo Captain.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
I rather like the idea of the Respawners as an actual physical technology. They would have fitted well into tournament plotline. Actually they mentioned them in UC2.

I think Epic could have showed what they actually look like :D I imagined them being like the human cells in The Matrix with a bunch of life support machines. A stealthy space ship or secret building would house the pods.

Either way, the storyline doesn't match the gametypes. Having a bunch of CTF/DM's in a war doesn't make sense - is silly.

Last edited:

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I liked everything about UC2, but since this thread focuses on plot, I'll stick to that: Having a game where the storyline and gameplay don't conflict is nice. What I mean is that the campaign and multiplayer mode have the same gameplay (same characters, character-specific stats etc) but they worked both ways in either campaign or multiplayer mode.

The thing with UT3 on the other hand, however, is that the gameplay is the same for campaign as it is for InstantAction/Multiplayer but the gameplay for single player just... doesn't work.
I'm having some trouble understanding what you mean, but I'm guessing you're saying "UT's singleplayer being nothing but bot-matches is okay, but having it structured in the way UT3 has doesn't work." I'm guessing you say this because of story. I dislike the singleplayer simply because the framework is terrible. 20 matches to progress to the next cutscene. Yuck.

"Respawners totally changed the war!"

Uh... I bought Unreal Tournament 3, not Gears of War: Emo Captain.

Everyone and their grandma knows that the story is weak. But that doesn't throw me off nearly as much as how tedious it is to progress through story mode.

...okay yes I too wish the story mode still involved a Tournament :(

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Since I'm one that brought it up, I should say I don't think the staff at EPIC are Racists with a capital R. As gregori says, they are just reflecting an image exemplified by popular culture. But really this is an image echoed by popular media, which many at the NAACP would doubtless agree is very "racist" with a small r, in that it chooses images that get attention (and sell CDs), and take no responsibility in choosing images that actually reflect culture or reality.

There probably wasn't even any deliberation on EPIC's part to play the characters this way...they might have just got a couple of voice actors who wanted to play as gangstas. It would actually be funny if, like one poster suggested, all the white characters were Texas cowboy trailer trash. But no satire is detectable. It just reeks of a certain degree of apathy toward the human audience that nobody noticed its two male black leads were playing on the same pop stereotype (an ancient one at that). They could have at least made Reaper a Rastafarian or something. Sheesh.

Anyway, I don't think its something to get up in arms about...hundreds of hollywood movies have made the same mistake. I think though that there's been a change in recent decades away from this, which is why it was so jarring to me...it seems like a real throwback to the 70's or 80's. Its just insensitive...and why would I be playing an ultraviolent game if I was too sensitive? Besides meaning soft and vulnerable, the word sensitive also means highly attuned and perceptive, something I've always found in the unreal gameplay to be head and shoulders above the competition.

Critical thinking. Now thats what I'm talking 'bout.

Last edited:

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Anyway my main gripe with single player on a pure gameplay basis is that you can't choose the types of match you want. I'm not always in the mood for a protracted WAR match. UT2K4 was much better in this regard.

The ridiculous technobabble justification for flags and respawners doesn't bother me. I think its pretty funny actually.

MrFish

The Crispy One
Mar 6, 2008
I didn't like the single player very much because I thought that there were going to be certain cinematics that happened while in an actual level (like the one where a city is under attack and Malcom grabs the rocket launcher and the player goes into first person view as him, or where Reaper and Malcom jump out of a building that blows up). It would have been much more immersive, at the very least. :( And I really wanted that cinematic where Othello duels a liandri bot to be in, as well.

Last edited: