framerate diminishes when playing online

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Piccolo_Daimaou

Jan 25, 2001
Visit site
After a recent HD crash and a complete reinstall, for some reason, any game I play, UT, unreal, Q3A, all slow down and get choppy the more I play online. In the case of Unreal (because it loads quickly and it has the timedemo feature in multiplayer) I run timedemo at startup, and the castle passes by happily at 40-80 fps. When I join in a multiplayer game, however, it immediatly gets knocked down to 30, then slowly dimishes after that. Now, I know it's not my ping (as horrible as it is, it's never done that before). I installed all the MS updates, updated drivers for everything, defragged my HD, set my network setup according to this guide: http://maniac.reload-software.com/entered_pings.htm, I've re-installed the TCP/IP stuff a couple times, my modem at least 3, and Win98 once, I've set a nice big swapfile for Windows to munch on, and made sure no backround programs were running that would hurt my ping or framerate.

My system is as follows:
Win98
A7V
800Mhz T-Bird (not o/c)
128megs of PC-133 SDRAM (brand name)
V3 3500
SB Live X-Gamer
Adaptec SCSI 1,2, Fast scsi, PCI Card
USR OEM sportster 56K ext. fax modem (for which no drivers are available, so I use the standard modem driver. If you want to look for one, you can, it's model Sportster 00568600)
Maxtor ATA/100 40GB 7200rpm HD
Maxtor 10GB (older) housing Linux at the moment
Matsu****a 6X DVD-Rom
Creative 32X CD-Rom

I guessed the problem had something to do with packet loss and the way Win handles it, but I checked with UO Trace, and I don't have any packet loss. I'm thinking it may be that IP diagram fragmentation problem that one of the Win98 updates is 'supposed' to fix, but I installed those updates. Of course, I'm really not sure what's wrong because I didn't do anything differently when I re-installed everything. Any help would be appreciated (I'm itching to get back to playing UT online). Thanks, -Piccolo Daimaou