An Observation Of Unreal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
I was one of those gamers that never really experienced the first game back in 1998 and had my first taste of blood with Unreal Tournament. I'm playing through it now on and I'm surprised and shocked at the same time.

It's somewhat terrifying in a sense, because you're pitted against some exotic and deadly creatures. In UT99 you had some simple human bots and the ocassional Skaarj (which creeped me out) on the battlefield, but the main campaign is full of surprises. I'm loving it so far, especially the emphasis on the Nali villages and beautiful water, but I'm taken back at how this is a 1998 game. I prefer to play FPS games from 2000 and beyond, as that's just my thing, but the game is quite hard.

Skaarj that run towards you in a open space and still get the drop on you. Slith that lunge and slash at you when they are close enough. Not to mention the enemies with rockets for arms among others. So far I'm on the Terraniux level and according to Liandri Archives, I have quite a way to go. I plan on completing the games another two or three times on the ascending difficulty levels and getting as much as I can out of the game. Bot matches and online matches if I'm lucky will follow.

unreal1.jpg

What were your experiences with it?

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
It's been a while since I got this game. Early autumn 1999 and played it on a mediocre computer. The performance was slow and choppy, and I died quite a few times. But kept going on untill ceremonial chambers. Later in 2000 I got a better rig, and completed the game with mucho gusto.

I've played Unreal to death, first in sp and botmatches (didn't really like the unreal bots though), then through Oldskool online in a long, long series of coop games. Oldskool is a mod for UT, which lets you play the Unreal maps in sp/coop sessions. A must have.

There was even a coop optmised version of Unreal called DKUnreal. Added some monsters to some maps (sometimes quite a lot, with the emphasis on krall). And some people boosted the difficulty on the add-on "Return to napali" calling it Ut-lity.
Think this was made by boomboy (japanese gamer iic). There was a specific mutator, which let you add monsters in waves, darkmatch etc. (some pre-invasion gamemode.)

The Skaarj are actually quite predictable. One you get to know their dodge pattern, it's real easy picking them off. Especially with the asmd.
Krall are fun targets for headshots. The real annoying bastard had to be the mercenary. Well, especially the elite merc. Oh, and those Titan boulders were quite random hits as well. At times.

Have fun completing Unreal. There's one level in particular which might take some time to complete. Most people hated it ( I guess) but I was among those who loved it.

Oh yes, once you get to know the game a bit do this:
Open the editor and look at the pawn list. Most of these things can be summoned in game, and you can mess around with the monster's properties. Just be creative. A main advantages of these old games. Start at any random level from scratch, no problem. Make it your own little game by summoning tons of stuff etc., one of Unreal's biggest charms imo.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
I got the first unreal in 2003 after playing UT, UT2003 and UC but before UT2004. It remains a very good SP game. The landscape and the sprawling outdoors remain impressive despite their blocky BSP and the diversity of nice little villages, narrow ship corridors and amazing structures (sunspire, haven) give it a specific charm I think Half-Life or other SP games of that time never quite managed to catch.

You may know about it already but I suggest you go to http://oldunreal.com/ and grab the patch 227. It gives the game new renderers, fixes about every single bug, makes it stable, provide a new improved UnrealEd (an enhanced UT one), new actors, and a couple of new maps Deathmatch maps for multiplayer.

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Appreciate the information guys. As for OldUnreal, I do know of the site and may visit it some time in the future. One of the members there, a 63 year old man died about a month ago. Was quite surprising to see a man of that age playing this game, then again he must have enjoyed it immensely.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Played Unreal in '98 at res 320x240. Good times. :p

Game was and is beyond awesome. The atmosphere, I almost can feel the humidity of
NaPali.

I miss this type of game. Not looking much for the fast paced shooter element, but for the exploration and adventure element.

Why such games aren't being made anymore? Just why?

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
I run a server you can find in the coop tab. If you are in the mood to explore those wonderful old maps it is a pretty good way to do it. You spawn with a remote control that opens doors and moves elevators (and shows you where hidden ones are too) as well as a portal gun to access places you can see but not reach. The sniper rifle is way overpowered you have too so you can clear enemies if you desire.

It's not my intention to run a popular server (too much headache) but I did want to have a place where people can go to just enjoy the maps and safely look wherever they want. There are hidden places all over, it's so cool to find them :)

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Why such games aren't being made anymore? Just why?

I have often found myself wondering the same thing, but I also have to understand the situation. We were truly on the frontlines of many great things back in those days. Computers weren't as passe as they are today and we didn't take them for granted. Most people who were into gaming back then were also into tweaking out their systems to get those few frames that would make Unreal playable. Computers and gaming were both in their infancy and we were all there, being impressed like no other generation.

So I think a few factors went into Unreal being what it was to us. It is still a great game, but to most of the newer generation, it is a bit of a fossil. They might appreciate its historical value, but not its aesthetic and cultural worth.

I am tied to Unreal as much for nostalgia and keeping some of my best gaming and computing memories alive as much as for the game proper. Its part of getting older too; I want to hold on to these kinds of things. We are lucky to have a still-thriving community full of like-minded people to share our aging passions with.

Additionally, we can be thankful that the Unreal series has enjoyed a long life and games are still being made today, both Unreal-based titles and of course Unreal Engine. Thus, we aren't so much just holding on to irrelevant ideas, but embracing the legacy of something that continues to be a dominant force in gaming.

So, I don't think I can look at modern titles with the same clear lens and as a result, can't speak for how some games might be kindling the same feelings for a new generation of gamers. I hope games are still 'doing it' for young people as they did for us, but we were indeed part of a special time, when hardware was born alongside the games, giving us a deeper, more profound recollection of the 90's.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
this reminds me that I've never actually played the original Unreal.
UT is one of my all-time favorite games and more or less the biggest reason why PC gaming is a hobby of mine, but I don't know anything about what came before.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
UT is one of my all-time favorite games and more or less the biggest reason why PC gaming is a hobby of mine, but I don't know anything about what came before.
Arguably the best mapping is in the Unreal singleplayer/coop maps. UT devolved to box arenas very quickly and few have anything approaching the complexity (and beauty) of the premier levels in Unreal. You should do yourself a favor and play some on a quiet Sunday. You'll be surprised at the depth and complexity in the Unreal engine that UT never really uses to it's potential.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
It's interesting to read your impressions of the game, playing it now for the first time. I, like many others, still love to play through now and then, but I wasn't sure it would be as appreciated by someone playing it for the first time in 2014.

I'm always surprised how many people, who first started with UT, never went back and played Unreal. There are lots of guys in our IRC channel who have never played it, and now I see that Jacks is still missing the boat!

I would think that someone who appreciated the weapons and settings of UT would be instantly drawn to a game at the root of it all.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
There was even a coop optmised version of Unreal called DKUnreal. Added some monsters to some maps (sometimes quite a lot, with the emphasis on krall). And some people boosted the difficulty on the add-on "Return to napali" calling it Ut-lity.
Think this was made by boomboy (japanese gamer iic). There was a specific mutator, which let you add monsters in waves, darkmatch etc. (some pre-invasion gamemode.)

This was on 3's server I think. Not sure if it's still online but the IP was unreal://86.30.232.7:7777

In passing, here's some info I and others typed up on running co-op servers.

http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Running_a_co-op_server_(UT)

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Indeed. 3 ran a coop/monsterhunt server for many years (together with Cardiologist).
I think.. the last time I played there.. must've been a couple of years. It's no longer there.
I really enjoyed playing there. Good times. 3 did an excellent job running that server with card, setting it up to the hardest (but fair and not ridiculous) settings. Well balanced teamplay (no cheating crap going on). We played many third party maps/campaigns as well. In the later days it was mainly Zephon iirc. Once again, good thing there was this mod called "Oldskool". Playing Unreal in UT was just a memorable experience.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Speaking of 3 does anyone have contact with him now? He dropped away while I was sick and has been totally gone since. I've tried to email him but get no answer. I'd love to grab his files, he had so much unique stuff. I'd also like to know he's alright too. I never read anything about him quitting, it was just like he went -poof-.

If you guys that have never played Unreal go spend a little time I can assure you that it won't be long before you go "So THAT'S where <blank> comes from!" *So* much stuff was cut and pasted into UT maps that you've seen a bunch of times and now you can see where it originated.

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
It's interesting to read your impressions of the game, playing it now for the first time. I, like many others, still love to play through now and then, but I wasn't sure it would be as appreciated by someone playing it for the first time in 2014.

I'm always surprised how many people, who first started with UT, never went back and played Unreal. There are lots of guys in our IRC channel who have never played it, and now I see that Jacks is still missing the boat!

I would think that someone who appreciated the weapons and settings of UT would be instantly drawn to a game at the root of it all.

To me it's about great gaming and that's something that doesn't have an expiry date. I have completed Unreal on the second difficulty level and plan on doing so another two times (omitting the easiest level for obvious reasons) and then playing online some more. I've been in touch with the guys from OldUnreal and we've had a blast on the RedRum and MonsterMash servers.

Unreal is a beautiful game with huge environments and lots of adventure. Not to mention an exotic soundtrack to boot. I still love how they weaved a Nali town with a tavern into the game. I guess they played a lot of D&D in their younger days.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
. I guess they played a lot of D&D in their younger days.
As a lark I grabbed a pdf archive of Dragon magazine as well as a bunch of early campaigns I found on PirateBay a couple of months ago. Big mistake. I'm losing entire evenings to rereading old issues and the DM notes on the dungeons. Some of that old artwork and lore surely inspired Unreal. It's cut from the same piece of cloth when you compare them now.

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
As a lark I grabbed a pdf archive of Dragon magazine as well as a bunch of early campaigns I found on PirateBay a couple of months ago. Big mistake. I'm losing entire evenings to rereading old issues and the DM notes on the dungeons. Some of that old artwork and lore surely inspired Unreal. It's cut from the same piece of cloth when you compare them now.

I once had a sealed copy of the Dragon Magazine Archive and it was a nice set to own. The illustrations and alien worlds were something Epic definitely took influence from. As ID Software did with Lovecraft and D&D with Quake.

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
unreal-games.livejournal.com
not so unusual

63 year old man died about a month ago. Was quite surprising to see a man of that age playing this game, then again he must have enjoyed it immensely.
a lot of the folks i know that love the game still are in their late 50's & 60's; I'm 43.

I played ut99 first, didn't even try Unreal1 until like 2006 or so.. but i didn't much like it.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I once had a sealed copy of the Dragon Magazine Archive and it was a nice set to own. The illustrations and alien worlds were something Epic definitely took influence from. As ID Software did with Lovecraft and D&D with Quake.

After finishing unreal that will be just the start. As you most likely saw, there's several community-made campaigns which you can also play offline :p .