Direct3D is being a bitch.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Eternus

lolwhythe****areyoureadin gthis
Jun 7, 2013
Unconfirmed
Everytime I play UT99 in Direct3D the game just stutters and plays very slow motion like. My PC is Windows XP and it's not dual-core. Does anyone have any solutions?

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Newer OpenGL can sometimes do miracles. Look my sig. for more info.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Only UT? Sounds like a heat issue, but if its only with one game, then I guess not. Something else using your CPU? Check device manager to see if something else is hogging resources.

I can't understand why you would want to run UT in D3D when OGL is much better looking; closer to the original Glide, IMO.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Performance depends if you have nVidia, ATI or intel.
Updated D3D9,10 or 11 should generally be used with ATI and intel.

ATI cards do not use the on onboard RAM with OpenGL.
Depending on how fast and how much system RAM you have left, as to how much slower it is.

Intel disabled several GL functions years ago, so it runs certain features in software mode.
Depending on the speed of your CPU, as to how much this will effect things.

Back on topic, it does seem likely that 1 or both of the previous suggestions are the problem.
Sometimes a task will not finish loading properly when you log into windows, and sits there eating CPU cycles til you kill it.
Try logging off and back in again. This often helps as Windows has less to load.

If you are running low on drive space, then it could be your swap-file killing the performance. If so, a clean-out and defrag are in order.

CPU-z will show you your temperatures
http://www.cpuid.com (PCWizard is it's big brother)

Startup Control Panel, is the most perfect little tool for configuring the startup programs.
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Process Explorer, Task Manager replacement can show the CPU usage of individual tasks much better.
www.sysinternals.com

Cacheman, is perfect for tuning Windows memory usage and switching off pointless services. It also memorises "sticky" priorities (useful to tame CPU hungry tasks)
http://www.outertech.com

Tweakers and diagnostics tools
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/blog/tweak-windows

Eternus

Jun 7, 2013
Unconfirmed
I took your advice Carbon and I tried out OpenGL, version 3.7 (the latest). It works perfectly. D3D worked fine in The Wheel of Time, I dunno why D3D wouldn't work on UT.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Good...glad it worked out. Still odd why it would stutter in D3D. May I ask the exact specs of your machine? As for task manager, it isn't so much about which applications are running (assuming you aren't multi-tasking), but the background processes. Anti-virus scanners, indexing features, automatic backups/defragmenters...these things can mess with framerates on lesser machines.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I think I got these problems too a long while ago. Had to switch to OpenGL. Didn't like it for UT. Decals looked completely terrible and I couldn't adjust the brightness either.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Same here - UT always looked really dark and as you say, I couldn't figure out a way to adjust brightness.
I never had a problem with Direct 3D though, so always left it on that.
Gotta be honest, I'm surprised people are still playing UT - can't remember the last time I fired it up but it's quite a few years ago - it's still the best multiplayer game I've ever played though.

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Older OpenGL/ATI driver combinations had brightness issues that were solved long time ago. Default OpenGL settings may look odd with some configurations (mainly image quality), but if you tune each setting manually you can achieve good looking (and performing) results.

dr. flay - I use OpenGL with my ATI GPU and it works flawlessly =)

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
As do I...OGL, R7850 without issues. I have my .ini tweaked right out and the high-res textures...still looks great.

As for still playing UT?! It's still a great game, even by today's standards. I do have a sense of nostalgia/loyalty as well....I have always been a big fan.

Unreal, RTNP, UT, 2K3, 2K4, UT3 have been on every machine I have built since '98 and will be until I am dust. Whenever I need a quick romp, there is nothing like the UT series!

:)

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Been using OpenGL for my UT installs for a while now. And, yes, I agree with that last statement and I will be doing that until I die as well. Next time though, I will include Unreal2 as I have the anthology and excluded on my present system. There is a way to install one of the anthology games by itself after others are installed, but it's a PITA and involves screwing with the uninstall files in the registry and stuff. I had to do it for UT2004 from the anthology, because I wanted to install the games in release order......not knowing it was difficult to install one at a time.

One thing I did noticed in OpenGL is the angels (women) in the stained glass in some of the maps are too bright, but everything else is fine.

Last edited:

Eternus

Jun 7, 2013
Unconfirmed
I'm using Microsoft's Windows XP Professional, Version 2002 with the 3rd Service Pack v.3264, AMD Athlon XP 2600+. 2.17 GHz and 1.50 GB of RAM. My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
my card is an Nvidia GTX-280

I'm not using OpenGL 3.7, but either 3.5 or 3.6 so you'll have to check which settings don't do anything anymore but here's my OpenGL settings:
[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
UseGammaExtension=True
UseModulatedGamma=False
GammaOffset=0.000000
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
UseS3TC=True
UseTNT=False
MaxLogUOverV=8
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxTMUnits=0
LODBias=0.000000
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
MaskedTextureHack=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
ShareLists=False
AlwaysMipmap=False
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
UsePrecache=False
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailClipping=False
DetailMax=2
SinglePassDetail=False
singlePassFog=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
ZRangeHack=True
UseTrilinear=True
OneXBlending=False
RequestHighResolutionZ=False
SwapInterval=0
FrameRateLimit=160
UseAA=True
NumAASamples=8
AAFilterHint=0
NoAATiles=True
MaxAnisotropy=16
NoFiltering=False
Use16BitTextures=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseBGRATextures=True
UseFilterSGIS=True
UseVertexSpecular=False
UseVertexProgram=True
UseFragmentProgram=True
UseZTrick=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
BufferClippedActorTris=False
BufferTileQuads=False
UseSSE=True
UseSSE2=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseTexPool=True
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
DisableSpecialDT=False
SupportsLazyTextures=False
CacheStaticMaps=False
NoMaskedS3TC=False
DescFlags=0
Description=Nvidia EVGA GTX 280 1GB

Eternus

Jun 7, 2013
Unconfirmed
So you want me to tweak my OpenGL to look like that? (This might sound like a dumb question, if so, my apologies for being so dumb!)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Depends on what system you have and video card.......I'm not sure about your video card but mine is about 4.5 years old. If you're not using the S3TC textures, then change those settings in there. I checked all these settings out and what they did about 4 years ago and decided to set them that way for my system and they seem to work for me. There's an old thread here where some BUF people and I talk about it.
WOT....here it is:;)
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=185463

Looks like I am using 3.5, but that just means you have less commands to worry about.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering makes my game lag though.

Then forget those settings. Of course, if it's working fine now with default settings or whatever and it looks good to you and runs good, then no need to change anything. These setting lists are just in case you want to try out some different settings and see if it makes things look better and/or play better without effecting what it was like before.:)