Cook-off??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
Well there might be different meanings, but one is using grenades... you pull the pin and release the spoon, and then wait for 3 seconds or so (that is the cooking off part), then throw it... that way you don't give the enemy enough time to run/throw it back at you.

INF_Neo

Infiltration Sound Engineer
Nov 30, 1999
Heidelberg, Germany
Visit site
Another meaning:

The HK G11 fires it's 2000rpm in 3-bursts. It can't fire full auto at that speed or the bullets would cook off. That means they make a little trip out of your magazine and hurt people.

Unicorn

Mar 1, 2000
Visit site
Actually from what I remember of the weird internal mechanism of the G11 I'm not sure it could fire full-auto at that speed anyway. BTW, did they ever actually get the rifle to work in the real world? Either way it's a nice choice for the game...

The usual meaning of 'cook off' is when you've been firing an awful lot of bullets very rapidly -- typically putting a few magazines through an assault rifle or SMG on full auto pretty much non-stop -- and the chamber gets so hot that the bullets fire as soon as they get into the chamber because the heat sets them off. Not good, particularly if the slide/bolt isn't locked closed at the time.

Not sure whether this is what Neo meant to imply with his comment.

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
A cook-off is when your ammunition discharges unintentionally from heat. This occurs after sustained prolonged firing, building up heat in the chamber. When a cartridge is chambered the heat is transferred to the metallic case and into the primer and propellant, setting the cartridge off.

Magazine cook-offs are extremely rare to non-existant unless a direct hit to the magazine manages to set off a primer. To heat the magazine to the point of cook-off would require the receiver or bolt carrier to become that hot too, and at that point you'd no longer be holding it (or one would hope).

------------------
Gryphon
Technical Advisor
i n f i l t r a t i o n
http://www.planetunreal.com/infiltration

Read the Roadmap and the FAQ.
Get the latest scoop on Inf munitions here.

Catalyst

science begets death
Jul 18, 1999
CA, USA
Is cook-off something you must be worried about always when firing a weapon for a longer-than-average period of time, or does it only happen in extreme cases (some gawd awful number of rounds fired)?

No, not really, I was just wondering
sarcblink.gif

------------------
Shoplifters will be beaten, stabbed, and stomped. Survivors will be prosecuted.