JB-Egypt

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Please not the work in prgress title - map is pre-alpha, been working on it for about 2-3 hours at the most.

Ok the Pics so far:

Jail.jpg

Base.jpg

aboveJail.jpg

So far its essentially empty. But once it is semi playable I'l put out an alpha release for you to take a look around. I'l aim to do this by the end of the week. (would be sooner if it was for damn exam revision)

Any feedback please post.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
erm :p

Its bigger than it looks. It is sort of scaled up. To put it into perspective that picture of anubis sitting down, he is 768 uu's high. approimatly 8 times the height of you. Its not a highly complex route though. The escape route I have only tried on my own in the map so far. You cannot make it without a beserk combo shieldjumop. But with a ladder on 3/4 players you should be able to get get out with a Shieldjump. Working on getting the difficulty on the escape will come later though.
There is around 4/5 routes to get from one switch to the other. But it is set up so they overlap so it is easy to defend.
As I said though this is still in its early stages, but I'm on a role today, (first bit of mapping for over 3 months aswell :p)

2 more pics:

arch.jpg

greenroom.jpg

(I'm gonna attempt to put up some half decent pics every post I make in this thread :p)

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
The reason I mention it was because I think JB-Tomb was just too big (and lacks optimizing in the bases).
The layout of JB-Templar(-beta) was a bit ... ehhh ... strange?

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
In my defense JB-Templar was my first jb map... and it would seem that the map is destined to get more complicated as time goes on. My clan kept telling me that it needed more routes to the locks, so I put them in and now it's a convoluted mess of sorts.

But hey, that's how we learn right?

If that's only a few hours of work then you must work WAY faster than I do. It takes me that long just to decide on a basic layout. Nevermind any lighting or textures at that point.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
So far its about 10 hours work. (I got bored of revising.....)
The reason I have put it together so quickly is that I knew how I was going to do the layout ages ago. Its very similar to another map I made but gave up on due to optimisation problems (CTF-Equilibrium) - It only got released as a beta.
I layed it out similarly to that one and the 10 hours were spent litrally making it.

I just took a look at Templar, interesting layout... I got completely lost even with the map. But for a first effort at mapping I have seen much worse. GL with finishing it.

Aersik

Turbo charged pogo stick
Feb 9, 2005
For reference on the shield gun escape, it's going to have to be around 900uu high to stop people getting out without help from their teammates. (More specific numbers: with 100 health I can quite happily climb a 832uu wall, but not 896uu.)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
I can get up a 896 loosing about 60 life. :p
The actual jump to get out from top to bottom is 1024uu

I Have a problem at the moment. For some reason when I open up UT2004 and select the map and press play it wont open. It just reloads the map choice page :s
Hopefully I can fix it

/edit:
Problem solved. I hadn't saved a texture pack I was using. I didn't realise this was the prob at first as I would expect that problem to just replace the textures with others.
Will all be in the mylevel package when done though.

Last edited:

Aersik

Turbo charged pogo stick
Feb 9, 2005
The_Head said:
I can get up a 896 loosing about 60 life. :p
The actual jump to get out from top to bottom is 1024uu
That's with berserk isn't it (or have I got my numbers wrong)? I meant without berserk, so you can't get out "freely".

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
The curved staircases look too brush-shaped. I think you should replace them by jumpads. Pads will look better and you'll have less polys. Also, taking a jumpad to jump up quickly will make the game faster and more fun... :rolleyes:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
If you mean in the centre of the map (2nd pic in my last post) I could consider that.
By the jails though it would make it too easy to get to the switch. I need it to be more tricky to get up there.
Also Stairs like that fit into the theme imo.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Here's the Beta01 version.
Enjoy. Gimme feedback into where to place the weapons especially.
There is no bot support at all here. They wil stand around and commit suicide lol. You will see that I have not properly lit a lot of the level yet. Lots to still be done.
Give the escape a go, lemme know If anyone can get out please.

Download Now!
ty The_YT for the hosting

Last edited:

Spudsy

Unreal Tournament Junkie
Feb 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
By the way head, before I start to beta test this, I want to say that I think JB - Egypt is a fine name for this map. I personally would not like to see it changed.