Upgrading for Unreal ????

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogga

Hey there,

Wondering ppls thoughts on upgrading with a very small budget - ive got a PII-350 with 128MB and thinking of selling the CPU & MB and getting a CEL 500 (cheap). My Video is ASUS 32MB TNT2 o/clocked to 160 core & 170 mem ...... ????

BadAss

Nov 10, 1999
Visit site
With your system, ALL you need is a Voodoo2 or Voodoo3 to play Unreal. You don't need an upgrade if you just want to play Unreal or UT.

Unreal doesn't run in D3d (which your TNT uses) as well as in Glide (which Voodoo2/3 uses).

BadAss

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
Unreal and UT both run in D3D, quite well in fact. I know, I've got a TNT2 Ultra /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif And I can get 35fps @1600x1200 in UT 8), not that I ever play in such a silly rez, can't read any of the onscreen displays /~unreal/ubb/html/biggrin.gif

You don't really need to upgrqde at all.

Bugsy

Nov 10, 1999
North Richland Hills, TX
Visit site
Rev, Badass said it doesn't run as well as Glide mode, and he's right. A good cheap choice is 2 voodoo 2's in SLI. I get avg. 55fps at 10x7 with everything turned up on a P400. And glide mode looks very good too. Oh, thats UT I'm talking about.

[This message has been edited by Bugsy (edited 11-10-1999).]

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
Bugsy, I agree it doesn't work as well as Glide, but it's pretty good, at least for Unreal. UT runs pretty much the same in D3D as Glide apart from the precaching which takes a little longer to load a level.

The question is tho, is it really worth shelling out for an old (but admittedly good) video card when the one you already have is perfectly up to the job? You might just as well spend the cash on a V3500.

Just my 2p tho /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

EASY_Target

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
Well ..I just downgraded ..had to return the V3-2000 I had for a few months..been back on my Voddoo-1, don't let anyone tell you a vid card isn't important..my game has really sufferred..biggets reason? : It locks up on me / screen freezes with any type of moderate action..or if i use the 8Ball with 5 rockets..it freezes just before I fire..sometimes blowing myself all to bits..that never happenned with the V3.. heh..heh

Thinking of getting the TNT2 or the ATI Maxx..we'el see what comes up in the next few weeks..I think that glide has reached the end of the line.

Fragmiester

Nov 10, 1999
Marshfield, WI USA
Visit site
**** that **** Ihave a 466 celeron 128mb ram a ati rage fury 32mb and have unreal installed on a 7200rpm hrad drive. What do you say to to that mother ****ers! iand what really is ****ty is that i get really ****ty frame rates on a 480X680.

NOW Bitch What

bullet2.gif

C-ya
Fragmiester

Status
Not open for further replies.