Ubisoft browser plugin DRM--uPlay (pre 2.0.4)--has backdoor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
I don't know man, I JUST DON'T KNOW! What are you trying to tell me with this?

97328cd5_mr_horse.jpeg

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Upon opening a box labeled Ubisoft, a door got installed in the home of the unsuspecting, uh, box opener. The shape of the door is such that anything can come through and enter the home.

As it turned out, Ubisoft did not shape the door to prevent non-Ubisoft blocks from passing through, so essentially any blocks can walk through the door and enter your home, when you're travelling the interwebs. Upon this discovery, Ubisoft sent Laurence Llewelyn Bowen and some MDF to hack out some shape to put in front of the wide open door, so now only Ubisoft blocks can pass through it.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Oh yeah, PC gaming is soooOOOoooOOo much better than on consoles...

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Oh yeah, PC gaming is soooOOOoooOOo much better than on consoles...

Consoles are heading down the same road you know

Rumors that next gen will be digital only - like PC
Rumors that both consoles will try and phase out used games - Like PC
Some consoles already have some form of DRM in place

So umm hurfy durf

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
seriously?

and they want people to stop pirating??
yes. excellent strategy.

16hq2hh.jpg

http://www.slashgear.com/xbox-720-d...ves-early-taste-of-next-gen-console-30240799/

Other reports indicate that the next version of Microsoft’s console will ditch the optical drive in favor of digital downloads, something that may not come to fruition given the slow broadband speeds many experience in the United States and across the world. The most troubling rumor, however, is that the console will require an always-on internet connection in order to stave off piracy attempts. Not only that, but both the Xbox 720 and PlayStation Orbis have been rumored to implement an anti used games system, locking out any second hand games until a new license has been purchased.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
In case you haven't noticed, PC isn't digital only.

Next-gen consoles won't be either. That's retail suicide.

Okay sure you can still buy physical copies, but they tie to digital services. Those services go out and you are left with a paper weight. Not saying they will go out anytime soon, but the worst case scenario is what I am looking at.

Also game companies make stupid decisions on a frequent basis so I would most certainly not rule that out.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
You know what else is retail suicide? Putting Ubisoft's DRM on a title... if losing 9 out of every 10 customers qualifies as retail suicide.

Ubisoft considered it a success.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
ah damned it, i knew it had to have a back door :(

I have uplay installed (cos of Driver SF), a pretty good game I got during the steam summer sale, but uplay is such utter pointless shit. to the point where it's known to freeze the game while connected to the internet as it communicates with it's server:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6egdDBAgQZY&feature=autoshare

Same issue apparently happens in the first Assassin Creed although the later titles do not have this issue surprisingly. With Uplay it is apparent that Ubisoft either wants you to skip the PC version, or pirate.

Like I said before game companies seem to be filled with stupid people making stupid decisions at the highest level possible. How some of these companies are even allowed to survive is beyond me.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Stop buying corporate games. They only give a shit about profits, which is why they force you to install shitty DRM software in the first place. They're not retarded, they know it doesn't stop piracy at all. They use DRM to calm stockholders' nerves.

You don't need to play Assassin's Creed 6 or whatever. Pro tip: it's the same fucking game as Assassin's Creed 1 with minor changes that do not warrant a $60 price tag.