UE3 - UT3 ASE SmoothGroup Problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

IchII3D

May 5, 2005
I'm using 3dsmax9 to model my models and smooth grouping them under Editable Polygon. Then simply converting my model to an editable mesh and exporting it as a ASE file with

Mesh Definition
Geometic
Mapping Cordinates
Mesh Normals

But still when I bring my model into Unreal or even view it in CrazyBump my smooth groups are not there. I believe its a 3dsmax export issue but was wondering if anyone had a similar ASE file export problem?

I do have smooth groups but strangly they are following the UVW seams instead of my actual smoothing groups :(

Just as a note I am only using 2 smoothing groups no.1 and no.2 so its not like its running out of smoothing bites.

Anyone got any ideas?

IchII3D

May 5, 2005
Sorry AGAIN! but it would seem I may have found the solution, what directs do the Unreal normals need to be facing? As I'm having a feeling I might need to flip my normal map as when my model has a normal map it is causing my model to hard edge along the UVW seams.

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
I never convert it to a mesh before exporting, as I just always have it as an editable poly, both in Unreal Engine 3 and Cryengine 2.
:)