UE3 - UT3 A Quick Rigging Question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Da Big Cheese

Dr Robotnik
Feb 28, 2008
Huddersfield
I'm looking forward to posting on this forum! Looks like a really good resource for all things UT...

Anyways, I got a character modelled and ready to go, but I wanted to know before I rig it, is there anything that I should take into consideration? I've only ever rigged a character for 3ds Max animations, never for exporting to a game engine before. Do I need to name the bones specifically? Can I use biped, or do I have to use a skeleton specifically from Unreal Tournament?

Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance

InAction

I make things move
Jan 21, 2008
Rule number one and the most important. Your highest parent in the bone hierarchy should be named Root and should be placed at Origo (0,0,0) in your scene. Other than that keep your own structures. If I don't recollect wrong the new Patch v2 now allows for custom factions which essentially means that you now may create new characters from scratch - which also means that you don't have to use Epics skeletons.

I'd recommend making a normal skeleton hierarchy and skin your mesh to that. Then make controllers to animate the character. Lastly you bake the animations to the skeleton and clean up the scene so only the skeleton and mesh is left.

That's about it. :)

fleshsniper1

Jan 21, 2008
thanks inaction that was also helpful for me. im glad epic has implemented the ability to use own rigs and characters for the ut3 game. well at least thats what i assume you meant :) let me know if i assume wrong.

have any suggestions for inspiration for me to stay strong working on a big project? cause my project is a TC using the UE3 and im doing all the work. i believe you are one of those elite UT3 modders right? lol