Unreal Unreal PSX Rework: Rise of Jrath Episode 1 Part 1 Release

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
After such a long time, the "demo" is finally done and finished. The most troublematic was creating the additional content/coding, there were multiple issues too that I in the end got help with or had to somehow solve on my own and of course the fact that important person left the project didn't make it easy.

Whatever the case this is no longer issue because the pack is out.

Four level "sets" consists of Episode 1 part 1, since part 2 should end with e1l8 levels.
Part 2 will be hard to complete too, due to the fact most levels are missing from part2 as they were not recovered fully, while the other two episodes are mostly complete. I will surely need some help still regarding mesh work etc.
Multiple new items/enemies are present, but new enemies mostly make up the "dream-in-your-mind-like" levels. That is also because e1l3 concepts were heavily unfinished.

New creatures should be good news for certain people, especially the minotaur rework. There is a special secret level featuring big variant of the minotaur also.

Gameplay in the usual levels was kept as intact from original as possible. For those not familiar with the original levels using the low res psx textures, this pack should really feel fresh and new and should be at least of quality of good expansion pack.

New textures, loads of new textures and player skins, some coming from the graves of Unreal developement, some are completely new and fresh.
You are free to use the textures in your projects for example because they are imo worth it. One particular texture set: UPB-Crypt2 was extremely difficult to get hold of the unresized originals, being it old and forgotten texture set from the beta days, a nice "Egyptian/Persian" alternative to the later Sumerian-like Crypt set. This set is not used in the rework but is included here but it plays a large part in part 2 of episode 1.
Enough talking, download links below:

UnrealPSX_E1P1.rar

UnrealPSX_E1P1.zip

Screenshots:

[Screenshot]http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/screenshots/UPSXR02.png[/Screenshot]

[Screenshot]http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/screenshots/UPSXR04.png[/Screenshot]

[Screenshot]http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/screenshots/UPSXR05.png[/Screenshot]

MakeMeUnreal

Oct 6, 2012
Hungary
Okay then...It worked fine for me.
Very good work there Leo!

PS. Can I use the minotaur pawn in my custom mappack?

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Thanks. Why did you edit your post before with removing the old one? But sure, you can use the pawn if you like.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Hotfix for the masking problem with Krall under oldskool. oldskool forced sty_none even when not necesary, while I had this fixed in earlier version of upsmon2 to prevent oldskool overriding, this was forgotten when alcapowned updated his earlykrall stuff thus I didn't check for that part again. However it is more of a fault of oldskool because it really forces the change upon one and with custom skins can happen that the mesh will appear full of holes which is not nice. This was only relevat for the old d3d anyway but it was not a good way oldskool solved it.
UPSXpackf.rar

Also updating the main archives now of course.
EDIT: Meant to say sty_masked, ugh what a "hangover".
Either way it is recommended for player to play as male3 with the "Jack" skin since it's meant to be the character.

Last edited:

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
I've only made it to the Vortex Rikers, but I really like the pack so far. There are a lot of little things that I would have liked to see in the original Unreal, like the sliding chairs. I haven't noticed a single BSP hole, so I'm assuming the maps were optimized. Great work!

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I've only made it to the Vortex Rikers, but I really like the pack so far. There are a lot of little things that I would have liked to see in the original Unreal, like the sliding chairs. I haven't noticed a single BSP hole, so I'm assuming the maps were optimized. Great work!
Yea, the maps were optimised however some were pain to rebuild properly and on the original 220 the node builder was much better to begin with, I mean through the unreal psx developement 220 kinda became obsolote sine new patches were coming out but they continued the developement mostly on 220 because of the stable bsp build and because they had no actual need to switch since it was meant to be released on playstation anyway and online play-compatible woldn't be problem there.
The sliding chairs and other dynamic stuff are one of the things that make the VR maps by Eric Reuter quite good, which is a bit sad since most of his maps were lost, only the vortex rikers set of him was complete. E1L5 has missing/non recovered parts, e1l6 part a is by Eric too and e1l7 only early protoypes were recovered, e1l8 only a terrain of the map exists, so yeah lots of his work was lost on the project and episode 1 became very incomplete thanks to that. Not to mention that he was part of the original Unreal team as well, and left the developement at march 1998, his later work included the expansion pack and the psx version of Unreal by Pterodactyl, but both were not released either way and practically only his psx maps were recovered.
The original Unreal maps he made were mostly of SkyCity themes, yes even the really early stuff and the map seen in background of the hard crash book and unreal box cover.
For the expansion/addon pack he also made various Crypt themed levels, but those are lost altogether...and for Unreal PSX he was responsible for the Vortex Rikers maps, Power Facility, Temple of Retribution, Temple of Purification and Skaarj Fortress.