Boycott Cooking for PS3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
I have seen a couple people mention the way the PC community is being exploited and treated as nothing but a mapping asset for the more prized PS3 community, and the suggestion that people not cook their maps for the PS3 as a matter of principle. It got me thinking about the nature of mapping and what role it plays in Unreal Tournament... I know it is probably an absolute fantasy, but does anyone think that we might be able to improve the state of UT3 on the PC by absolutely and universally refusing PS3 cooking? I mean I know there's no community mapping union... so a full mapping strike wouldn't really be feasible, but if such a thing could be accomplished would it be able to change things? If tons of great custom maps came out for PC and the authors universally refused to allow for use on the PS3 or for anyone else to cook their maps for the PS3 until certain demands are met regarding patching and modifications to the PC version of the game, what might happen? I'm inclined to think that Epic would completely ignore it and pretend it wasn't happening, but eventually maybe it could accomplish something... probably not. Then again though, custom content has always been a huge selling point of UT, so maybe it could have an impact. So anyway, I'm wondering what people's thoughts on this matter are, and also if such a strike were to occur which mappers would be willing to participate and why.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2006
I've considered boycotting the Playstation 3, since the general impression that I get is that a lot of PS3 users are unappreciative little kids.

However, so are a lot of PC players. And I don't have a particular grudge against PS3 players for the state of the game.

At this point in time, though, I don't even know how feasible cooking any maps I make to PS3 will be. I plan on using my Configurable Weapon Lockers (and more custom stuff, once it's made) in pretty much every map that I make, and I don't really know how custom non-mutator script will work with the PS3, if at all.

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
My own map in its current state is unfit for cooking for the PS3, for the simple reason that there's no way to add custom sounds to PS3-cooked maps. Imagine a harbour/seashore thingy without waves and seagulls and gurgling water, and you see what my map would be without that. So for the time being, it'd be a pity to cook it, and consequently I won't.

Not sure if I'll do something about that eventually though...

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
NO COOKING FOR CONSOLES!!!! IF THEY WANT (OR MAKE) A CUSTOM MAP OR MOD, THEY NEED TO PURCHASE UT PC

YEAH, BECAUSE THAT'LL REALLY SHOW EPIC!!11!1one!;)

I'm not sure that was the wanted effect of a "mapper's strike".
More that Epic would go out of their way to fix UT3 and meet our demands, before we start porting maps over.

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
Well, the PC will soon have its 2nd patch, while the PS3 (with the same codebase) didn't get a single one - guess we can't complain that much...

And Epic is working on satisfying the PC community, I just hope they're not too late with it. They really should've finished the game before releasing it.

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
EPIC (or Sony) can always pay for 10-20 good maps/year and 2-3 good mods per year. It is very difficult to stand by your principles once money is thrown at you :D

Anyway, I find such a boycott a bit immature. It has been said in other threads, and I believe is it happening, that good mod teams, mappers are moving away. Time will tell.
I am still w8ing for my UT3 TAM :D

The_Amnesiac

Feb 7, 2008
No, cook for UT3.

Just make the requirements so horrendous that it equals no map at all. Much better impact, and much funner on the PC side.

Still in conclusion, it's really immature as a whole. I do hate Sony though for being such a whore for dragging an "exclusive" franchise to their system and starting this whole sale/e-peen thing.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
It is a petty endevour, and it is likely to accomplish nothing, there's no denying that.

But there is a principle involved here, pertaining not only to Epic's attitude twords modding (sometimes it really seems we are just free labour, and they want us to fix the game for them), but also the more fundamental issue of cross platform gaming, we do actually have the oppertunity here to show Epic that we want platform exclusive titles, and are not happy with watered down cross platform ones, that are splitting our allready small community.

To me, its not about the people playing either version, its not about punishing any player base, it is about showing Epic where we stand.

unbecoming

The Money U Could Be Saving W/out Barry
Jan 21, 2008
St.Louis,MO
My few petty maps a year are insignificant either way,however I cannot help but feel like a sheep sometimes by helping the Epic and the consoles prosper after the way the pc crew has been treated.Doing so just emboldens Epic's belief that the console is where it's at and the pc is secondary when the pc community's custom content is some of the reason people are buying UT3 and even the ps3 in the first place.

It'd be nice if the consolers would realize how much better the games can be on the pc and switch,but I think I am dreaming there.

I personally am just making sure my levels are pretty demanding and have a bit of custom stuff in it.Also I would more than likely to follow the lead of the community as a matter of principle because over the years it is the custom content that kept me enjoying UT.I have the utmost respect for modders and I feel doing anything more to hinder their works would not be right.

TBH I more than likely would not have even got UT3 if I wasn't holding on to the belief that the community would make the game into something I could enjoy.I never thought for a second I would love the game out of the box,because I never have.

It is just very disappointing to see that the best thing about UT has been damaged.Why would u try to stop people from donating their hard work and resources to promote your product is beyond me at this point.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
What really would upset the PC community would be mappers only cooking for the PS3 not releasing anything for the PC version.

I don't have a PS3 and I'm not going to get one either.

Not cooking for the PS3 will damage the community and the game itself, because people will play less and have arguments like this online. I say let people play the game, regardless of platform. It's the same game after all.

Cybro-Thing

Feb 4, 2008
The United States of Holland.
you're probably the type of person that thinks buying ut3 for for a console is a bad and evil thing to do, right?

Making the game unplayable on one part of the community (yes, ps3 ut3 players are part of the ut3 community) just to make it better on the other is by far the worst idea ive heard of so far - no offence.

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
Well, I'm no mapper, but all my attempts to cook mutators for the PS3 have failed miserably.

It's probably an issue with the way the mutator is constructed rather than the cooking process, but since I don't have a PS3 it's not something I can test easily.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Making the game unplayable on one part of the community (yes, ps3 ut3 players are part of the ut3 community) just to make it better on the other is by far the worst idea ive heard of so far - no offence.

Well see I kinda see it as they are the same community in spirit perhaps but not in the flesh, I would have liked cross-platform multiplayer to truely unite the community. You can see the games arnt that different really but hey people dont seem to like the state of UT3 on PC, so if they were gonna make it a console game why not let us in on it hey.

Its kinda like, oh you are good enough to provide us with mods but not good enough to play against so it only makes the issue worse really. There probably are some dual gamer/modders though and thats kewl, theyd know where its really at but one shouldnt be forced to a platform to get that experience.

Perhaps cross-platform is not the word Epic should be looking for maybe its platform independant, then again thats in the global gaming utopia of the future. The PS3 is simply no PC though so thinking otherwise is just wishful, if it was the same game and we were the same community we'd be using UT3 more often than PC and PS3.

Heres to removing the platform from the equation!

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
As a musician/sound designer this point is moot. Being able to cook for ps3 is the closest thing you can get to homebrew w/o having a devkit/unit. I thought it would have been kinda cool to see a console user enjoying my stuff but me and mine don't have this option.