PC Gaming and Piracy: Examined

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
this is a very good article which was posted recently over at TweakGuides, brought to my attention from this thread.

people in the industry, regardless of what side they're advocating, don't usually pay this debate the attention and research that it deserves in order to discuss it properly. because usually those people in the industry have an agenda, one way or another. so you'll only hear the bits and pieces that favor their desired outcome.
and just like any good political issue, there's a metric f*ck-ton worth of misinformation out there regarding the implications of both pirates and the game producers that fight them. both sides contribute to this information, or lack thereof, depending on who they're trying to convince.

so it was nice to see someone try and give this discussion a fair shake.
first, the article: PC Game Piracy Examined
it's 10 pages long but worth every sentence, imo. they look at this issue from numerous angles including international law concerning copyrights, the pervasiveness and economics of software pirates, Ye Olde PC vs. Console debate, evolving business models, and practical solutions.

second, a brief summary from the Conclusion page with the interesting points in bold. this paragraph is referring to pirate providers (like torrent websites), but specifically they make an example out of The Pirate Bay. I'm not sure how much of a secret it was, but the guys who own and operate TPB have "secretly" been profiting from their operation for years even though they contribute virtually nothing to the cycle.
that article said:
What's objectionable about this practice isn't so much the amount of money these people are making, but the fact that they're doing it without contributing a single cent to the people who are actually responsible for creating the content that is being pirated. These sites are the ultimate free riders, because their content is almost entirely made up of other peoples' hard work. It also reveals the fact that there are millions, maybe billions of dollars up for grabs in the lucrative world of piracy, so for obvious reasons piracy sites love to put on the front that piracy is all about freedom and altruism, that DRM and big companies are evil for opposing piracy, and that there are endless flimsy studies which purportedly show that piracy is actually beneficial, despite actual evidence and logic to the contrary. Plausible misinformation is the key to their survival, so they've become extremely adept at it. It's a very successful business model and there are millions of eager users who are more than happy to swallow any excuses given to them as long as it gives them access to lots of free stuff. It appears that the idealistic concept that P2P is supposedly all about sharing without profit is not one shared by those who actually profit from it: piracy sites.
didn't catch the most important part of all that?
here it is one more time, for good measure...

"It's a very successful business model and there are millions of eager users who are more than happy to swallow any excuses given to them as long as it gives them access to lots of free stuff."

food for thought.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
tl;dr

Seriously though, that's a hefty article. I'm sure I'll have something to say tomorrow or something.

~Jason

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
if it was up to me, I wouldn't let anyone reply until they had actually read the entire 10 pages.

but it's not up to me, so I'm sure we will invariably get some people in here who think they already know everything about the PC piracy issue, and will repeat the same argument they pose in every single topic about it.

which is fine, I guess.
however, if you have any kind of opinion on the subject, then it's a disservice to yourself not to read the article. at least for new insights into the same old problem.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
I don't like people that steal.
They can all go to hell.

What about people that make classical music.
Do they pay some one for all the dead persons music they copy.
Funny, that nobody talks about that.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
In the U.S. of freaking A. piracy is illegal. So there isn't anything to explore there.

Also, I didn't finish the article, but how does TPB make money other than selling shirts and junk?

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
but how does TPB make money other than selling shirts and junk?
I don't have the information for you in detail, partly because there are still ongoing court cases and accusations unaccounted for.

but, I've read a little about it (aside from that article) and I can tell you that it has something to do with ad revenue and taxes.
project cofounders Fredrik Neij and Gottfrid Svartholm have admitted to complex tax arrangements bordering on what appears to be either money laundering or at the very least a serious attempt to hide their income. More importantly however, The Pirate Bay doesn't host any pirated material, it has an extremely basic text layout with minimal content and virtually no images (aside from ads served by other parties), which means bandwidth costs and server requirements are actually considerably less than any other major sites. An enterprise class server can be purchased outright for a hundred thousand dollars for example, and obviously you don't need to buy new servers every year. Certainly, they seem to have enough money on hand to offer regular visitors the opportunity to win prizes such as trips to Dubai with $5,000 spending money despite supposedly operating at a loss.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
In the U.S. of freaking A. piracy is illegal. So there isn't anything to explore there.

Also, I didn't finish the article, but how does TPB make money other than selling shirts and junk?
Pretty much agree with this.
"...there are millions of eager users who are more than happy to swallow any excuses given to them as long as it gives them access to lots of free stuff."
I mean, didn't everyone already know that?

Just judging from that quote, it sounds like the article is a 10 page lecture on common sense and other obvious things. (sorry, it's kind of tl;dr atm)

I think he's talking about ppl owning the rights of the creations of dead ppl... like classical music

Your point? The reply still holds true.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Your point? The reply still holds true.
the difference is living ppl holding the rights and making money off of something some dead person created vs. living ppl making money off something they've created. that said, I think there's a certain time period after someone dies where their material becomes public domain.

Last edited:
the difference is living ppl holding the rights and making money off of something some dead person created vs. living ppl making money off something they've created. that said, I think there's a certain time period after someone dies where their material becomes public domain.

75 years after death...unless I'm mistaken.

Anyway, the article is hardly as enlightening as I was led to believe.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008

The difference is dead people don't give a crap and living people get screwed over. A recent example would be Activision bullying IW and not paying them royalties and making **** loads of money even though they didn't do **** and IW made the game and did all the work.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
I think the article glosses over the benefits of new media production and distribution methods, but that's more of a thing for music and video than it is for games. Copyright terms are a bit irrelevant to games too; even modest copyright terms like the world used to have are long enough to go past the lifespan of modern games.

It's pretty astonishing that game piracy is so high on the PC. 90% for a cheap game like World of Goo?

The most retarded thing however is people with pirated copies of games looking for technical support from the developers/publishers.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Just judging from that quote, it sounds like the article is a 10 page lecture on common sense and other obvious things.
obvious to some.
common sense to some.

but not obvious or common sense to most.

I guarantee at least half the people who read that article didn't know half the sh*t that's in it.
you give the public too much credit :p common sense is the most uncommon thing in the world.