UE3 - UT3 massive WTF dealing with terrain

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shivan Hunter

May 29, 2009
[screenshot]http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/9162/wtfev.png[/screenshot]

If I add a layer, in this case the second "dirt" one, to that square area, the entire area immediately looks like a bad trip. If I remove the dirt layer (subtract it from the square area until there's no dirt left there), it disappears. There are several of these, in different locations, that screw up all my layers except for the base layer.

WTF?!

What is this and how do I get rid of it? I've been able to work around them so far, but I won't be able to do that for long.

Pookycs09

Jun 14, 2009
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think it has something to do with the complexity/amount of the materials you are using in your terrain materials.

To fix it I think you have to use materials that don't use as many textures or cut down on how many terrain materials you are using for a single terrain.

I've only had this same problem once so my memory might be off but I think that's how I got around it.

Shivan Hunter

May 29, 2009
This started happening only after the third layer! I need those three layers!

*sigh...*

I may be able to work around them. If I can't- any good rock or dirt materials that only use a couple textures?

Odedge

Keeper of Tutorials
May 26, 2009
www.odedge.com
I haven't worked with terrain for a while, but it should be a problem with the amount of texture samples you have combined in a terrain actor. See this page for more info.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
This started happening only after the third layer! I need those three layers!

*sigh...*

I may be able to work around them. If I can't- any good rock or dirt materials that only use a couple textures?

Then make copies of those three materials used, and then simplify those. Get rid of expressions you dont need. You should be able to use at least 4 or 5 layers if the materials are simply enough.

Odedge

Keeper of Tutorials
May 26, 2009
www.odedge.com
Then make copies of those three materials used, and then simplify those. Get rid of expressions you dont need. You should be able to use at least 4 or 5 layers if the materials are simply enough.

To be specific and if I remember correctly, terrain can display any info going to the specular channel of the material, so that's just wasted resources and a texture sample.