Welcome To A New America!!!!! (For the better even)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Nah, I hope he gets 8 so that we can watch you suffer and complain like many of us did for 8 years.

Better yet, I hope the next 8 years are the complete opposite from the last 8, including resulting in the future years being part of a social, economic and geopolitical renaissance for the country.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Better yet, I hope the next 8 years are the complete opposite from the last 8, including resulting in the future years being part of a social, economic and geopolitical renaissance for the country.

Seriously. My IRA is depressing as ****.

~Jason

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
This has nothing to do with politics, and everything to do with the fact that you're a black hole of negative soul-sucking energy.

Geez, I try so hard and still I can't get the black hole of negative soul-sucking energy reward. :(

---

and everyone knows what I think about him and really guys he made mistakes already its just that you guys don't pay attention much to what dems do. No, I'm talking about a stupid speech problem.

Anyway whatever, enjoy yourself guys. I know it will be a failure and I know his ideas aren't really american, but whatever enjoy yourself guys.

Oh and I think I lost all my enamel on my teeth during his speeches. :(

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
There's one thing about Obama that does give me hope for the future, he has not been shy to deal with both sides of the 2 party system, and if there's one thing the US desperately needs, it is less of this "you're either a lib or a neocon" bi-partisan BS that has been the standard for far too long now.

I hope this man can rattle some cages and make people look at the politics again, instead of mindlessly supporting the same guys out of habit.

But as has been said, Obama could spend the next 8 years in the oval office playing Xbox, and he'd still be doing a better job than Dubya.

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
I displayed my ignorance today when someone asked why Obama was such a huge deal. I said 'He's the worlds first black president!...Oh... Wait...' :(

I am such a dumbass.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Voted Obama.

Weren't you originally a Ron Paul supporter? How did you manage to go from there to Obama? :eek:

Anyhow, it was a pretty awesome crowd they had there in DC. I gotta say though, it's a little disturbing to see how people have bought into the personality of Obama so heavily. When I see all the pop-images of Obama and people swooning and crying out for him... images of crowds adoring dictators always pop into my head.

Now I'm not saying he's a dictator - obviously that's not true. Perhaps it's a product of some people just being so glad to be rid of Bush? I read that there were whole sections of people jeering Bush as he made his way to the stage during the event. It's utterly shameful, but perhaps exemplary of the feelings of many.

It's almost as if people are desperately glomming onto a man with messiah-like expectations. I dunno... just something weird about the whole cult of personality thing going on there. At the very least, it's awesome PR and packaging.

Anyhow, I'm always proud to see the peaceful transfer of power on display in the inauguration of a new President. Hooray for that anyway.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Lets not forget that the beloved democrats, of whom Mr Obama is a part, have been running congress for the last couple years.
Let's not forget that the **** hit the fan 2 years before dems even overtook congress! :rolleyes:
But then again I just heard a neocon yesterday blame Obama for the CURRENT state of the US economy!! :rolleyes:

Not to mention the whole "OH NOES MOAR CLINTEN" dramabaww...
Seriously, that man's rule was one of the best things - believe it or not - to ever happen to the US, with the exception of the DMCA.

Last edited:

Latent Image

Bring the rain!
Jun 3, 2001
Zer0's Anus
<rant>

He basically told y'all that it is ALSO up to YOU as individuals and as a people not just him to effect change, so for Larkin and Snow white and others, sit on your no doubt fat white asses and do nothing... much like you and others have done the past eight years while watching your country (and the world) turn into, well, basically what you(we) have now. I do not understand how you can be so blatantly negative about what he is trying to undertake. I understand that he is going to need longer then one term to achieve good however if he can achieve what he wants to achieve I hope he deports you hopeless SOB's from a country where the majority has voted for the future not the status quo.

</rant>

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I understand that he is going to need longer then one term to achieve good however if he can achieve what he wants to achieve I hope he deports you hopeless SOB's from a country where the majority has voted for the future not the status quo.

Explain what you mean there.

By status quo, I assume you mean John McCain? On a certain level that's true. Bush and McCain both share a somewhat government-centric view of the country and merely dabble in social conservatism. I wouldn't say that either is a strictly fiscal conservative. So, in that sense, they are similar.

By future, I assume you mean Obama. But what does that mean, really? Voting for the future? It's really a very platitudinous statement at face value.

By the way - nice avatar and sig image. :tup: Just finished that one myself.

Latent Image

Bring the rain!
Jun 3, 2001
Zer0's Anus
Explain what you mean there.

By status quo, I assume you mean John McCain? On a certain level that's true. Bush and McCain both share a somewhat government-centric view of the country and merely dabble in social conservatism. I wouldn't say that either is a strictly fiscal conservative. So, in that sense, they are similar.

Yes, however not just fiscal, I believe that you would have been stuck basically with what you have now and that Mcain/Palin would have only continued bush's legacy and only made minimal changes overall, only doing so, if they felt it necessary to keep themselves in office (like most politicians). I NEVER believed bush had the interests of his country and his people at heart. Obama, no matter how grand one may think his plans are, I believe, is trying to institute some kind of positive change.

By future, I assume you mean Obama. But what does that mean, really? Voting for the future? It's really a very platitudinous statement at face value.

Many quotes from many people could be considered platitudes however these words, these platitudes, can provide meaning to people, am I then not to regard anything he says as what he says appears only to be a chain of platitudes?, no, if his words motivate people to work toward a future were by which the people are a part of progressive positive change that influences the economy, environment, science, health care and education while being supported by the government in doing so, how on earth could that be a bad thing?

The last remark about deporting people was only a silly remark, just venting.

Please also consider that I live in Australia, however I understand Americas ‘influence’ on not only us but the rest of the world and not just economically, therefore I take an interest in those that take office in your country and the far reaching consequences of the decisions they make.

By the way - nice avatar and sig image. :tup: Just finished that one myself.

Thanks :) I am yet to pick it up for PC. I will eventually!

Last edited:

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
Weren't you originally a Ron Paul supporter? How did you manage to go from there to Obama? :eek:

While I can't speak for T2A obviously, I can provide some insight on this. Ron Paul was an.... odd third party candidate. He was pseudo-libertarian, but much more towards the conservative side of things. In the end, like all third-party candidates he had zero chance of ever winning, so voting for him is just wasting one's time. But again, he was more of a conservative on many issues, and I suspect a number of former Ron Paul supporters went for Obama because they feel that civil liberties are the most important things.

See Also: why a number of independants didn't vote for McCain/Palin. Neo-McCarthyism is not worth giving up civil liberties for.

hal said:
Anyhow, it was a pretty awesome crowd they had there in DC. I gotta say though, it's a little disturbing to see how people have bought into the personality of Obama so heavily. When I see all the pop-images of Obama and people swooning and crying out for him... images of crowds adoring dictators always pop into my head.

Very true. People seem to forget that Obama is a politician, just like every other politician, and says what people want to hear. I'm certainly glad to be rid of Bush, and doubly so to have kept Palin away from the white house -- but Obama isn't deserving of the vast amount of hype and praise heaped upon him. It's historic, certainly, but people are going a little nuts about it. But meh, as long as they keep it orderly, they can do whatever they please.

hal said:
Now I'm not saying he's a dictator - obviously that's not true. Perhaps it's a product of some people just being so glad to be rid of Bush? I read that there were whole sections of people jeering Bush as he made his way to the stage during the event. It's utterly shameful, but perhaps exemplary of the feelings of many.

Having 20% approval ratings will do that to you. When the vast majority of the country is not pleased with the job you're doing as their president, and you then say that the opinion of the people with regards to your leadership doesn't matter and you'll do as you damn well please (Of course, couched in terms like 'security' and 'justice' and 'doing what's right for America'), people tend to get a little bit pissed off at you. For me, the final days of President Goofus were the final straw, as he basically said he's not beholden to the will of the American people. That arrogance and self-righteous crusading attitude is what people hated about Bush. Politicians going on and on about 'democracy' and then turning around and saying that the majority doesn't know what's best for themselves just looks bad to any thinking person.

hal said:
It's almost as if people are desperately glomming onto a man with messiah-like expectations. I dunno... just something weird about the whole cult of personality thing going on there. At the very least, it's awesome PR and packaging.

Anyhow, I'm always proud to see the peaceful transfer of power on display in the inauguration of a new President. Hooray for that anyway.

Yeah, again the hooplah is fairly disturbing, but hey -- at least there weren't any riots. Fact is, the country's in the dumps, going into the eight year of a war that has no clear end or victory conditions, the economy in shambles, and people need some hope. Though a lot of people made fun of the whole "hope and change" message, it got him elected because that's what people need and want right now. Hope, and change.

Now to see if he actually delivers. I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see. He's got four or eight years to do it.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I didn't subject myself to.. what was that 5 hours of TV footage but I cuaght a short glimpse of the inauguration on CNN. They showed Bush leaving the Capitol. I've never seen that guy so elated.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
I still contend the most important part of President Obama's inaugural address was the message that all this change that people want needs to be brought by the people themselves. The citizens of this nation need to start paying attention to the functions of government, to hold officials accountable for their actions, to let their representatives know what they want. One of the main ideas behind our system of government is to make sure that the will of the people is represented, but it is the responsibility of the people themselves to make their voices heard and not to just sit back and complain about the government. I can assure you that people and groups with their own special interests at heart sure as hell do get the attention of Congressional representatives, and they hammer on them day after day after day. They are organized and they have money, and in many cases those groups don't represent the best interests of the average citizen.

I think that it could be a good thing that so many people are excited about this administration. However, I am not convinced that will translate into actual change. It will probably be business as usual in a few weeks, meaning people won't give a **** except to say hey we have a black president. I'd love to be proved wrong.

Also, I'd like to pose a question to the Americans here, very specifically to those who voted for and believe in Obama's cause, but others are welcome to respond as well. What changes do you want to see in the American government?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I personally couldn't bring myself to care much about the inauguration. I admittedly never have for any President, but the hoopla and hype surrounding this one was so overbearing it has made me want to puke for the last few weeks.

My question is: how long is the honeymoon going to last?

Everyone whines and moans about Bush, but what President has ever been liked much, if at all, during their Presidency? I'd say the people that appreciate the President's work just shift around depending on what party they are, what position they take on certain issues, what kind of personality they have, etc. I think it's probably safe to say that any President who has an inordinately high approval rating is probably not doing things that are in the best interest of the country.

The quality of Bush's presidency isn't going to be determined right now, anyway. It will be determined 8/16/24 years down the road by how people remember it based upon the actions of the Presidents that come after him. Example: Obama is going to reap the benefits of Bush working to draw down troops in Iraq and everyone is going to say he is doing what he said he would do when it was started before he even took office, much like everyone blamed Bush for the near economic collapse near the beginning of his first term.

I hope Obama can do good things while he is in office, but he's made some hefty promises and I'll be shocked if he delivers on half of them (or, even more so, half of what people expect from him). I'll be interested to see where this "change" he is always talking about comes from, so far he has stuck with the status quo (in terms of his cabinet).

Status
Not open for further replies.