Make People Like UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hilo_

Jan 19, 2008
Unfinished is not the same as fully untested (un-bugged).

Are you claiming that UT3 was basically "finished" with the exception of a couple of bugs, which weren't corrected because of a lack of testing? In my opinion, the horrible excuse for a server browser/gamespy integration, leaving out instant action options that we've all come to expect, delivering ONS 1.x instead of conquest, forcing tweaking through inis because the UI options were virtually nonexistant, lack of basic functionality like copy/paste and seeing who is actually in the server you're playing in, the huge downgrade in the ability to mod the game, and many others - are a clear indication that much of the game wasn't given enough attention, most probably to get it out in time for the holidays. Mike Capps even admitted that the UI was tacked on during the final moments of the game's development.

Where are the Linux/Mac clients? Fix for openAL? Fix for client-side demo recording? I mean come on dude, the game is not finished. I'm not talking about a bunch of bugs, all games have those of course. Underdeveloped != finished but not fully tested.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Mike Capps even admitted that the UI was tacked on during the final moments of the game's development.
He's not the only one, and I'm positive that there were more than one or two people who were happy with it the way it was.
Where are the Linux/Mac clients?
Legal problems.
Fix for openAL?
Frankly, nobody knows if this is even Epic's fault.
Fix for client-side demo recording?
They already said client side demos were not supported (and wouldn't be).
I mean come on dude, the game is not finished. I'm not talking about a bunch of bugs, all games have those of course. Underdeveloped != finished but not fully tested.
You ARE talking about stuff that really makes no difference, though. The game does have problems, but it's stupid to blame those problems on features that don't exist rather than problems with what is already there. I'd, frankly, rather have improved server browsing/server/custom content support than client side demo recording, personally. Not only that, but client side demo recording works, it's just unsupported and doesn't work the way you want it to.

Additionally, this game shouldn't have features "just because previous games had these features". That's not a good reason to add something to a game, that's what leads to sequelitis.

hilo_

Jan 19, 2008
Frankly, nobody knows if this is even Epic's fault.

That's not the point. The point is that openAL option is included but is broken for most people. That's unfinished implementation.

They already said client side demos were not supported (and wouldn't be).

Again, it's an example of another part of the game that wasn't properly implemented. The core of it is there, but it's extremely buggy --> unfinished.

You ARE talking about stuff that really makes no difference, though.
Uhh... I am? No one cares about the horrible server browser? Lack of modding capability? etc? :hmm:

Not only that, but client side demo recording works, it's just unsupported and doesn't work the way you want it to.

Client-side demo recording doesn't work for online games, and it's horribly buggy for offline games (who records themselves playing offline anyways?) Excuse me for expecting it to work "the way I want it to."

Additionally, this game shouldn't have features "just because previous games had these features". That's not a good reason to add something to a game, that's what leads to sequelitis.

The reverse of that is even more true: Removing functionality for the sake of avoiding "sequelitis" is stupid. If it ain't broke, why fix it? Why remove perfectly good options and functionality? I don't know about you, but I doubt preserving IA options or including cs demo recording is going to make UT3 feel too "sequely."

DGUnreal

Level Designer
May 22, 2006
[VaLkyR]Assassin;2137207 said:
WHY?? I wouldn't do that for any game - have you got loads of money to waste or something?

You need a unique key for each system...
I have a game development studio with multiple high-end workstations.
Multiple copies allows for multiple people here to simultaneously play LAN or Internet.

Are you claiming that UT3 was basically "finished" ...

Unfinished means unplayable... entire missing components.
Just because a UI doesn't reflect the number of exposed options that some people think it requires does not mean it is "unfinished".

None of the things you have brought up stop you from playing the game the way it was designed and meant to be played. Can you not launch a game? Shoot a weapon? Drive a vehicle? etc.?
If vehicles didn't turn or some of the weapons were not skinned or didn't shoot, then that would be classified as unfinished.

Don't equate your idea of what optional or extra or enhanced feature items you think the game should have to its being "unfinished". There is a massive difference.

By your definition many other games also fall into the "unfinished" category. As an example did you ever play Q3A? It's menu and setup screens are thinner and more poorly done than UT3 ever was. So I guess it is unfinished as well and id ripped us off... I have never seen people whining about its UI.

That's not the point. The point is that openAL option is included but is broken for most people. That's unfinished implementation.

If that were the case, then lack of AA means it is unfinished also.
Does no AA stop you from playing the game?

The reverse of that is even more true: Removing functionality for the sake of avoiding "sequelitis" is stupid. If it ain't broke, why fix it? Why remove perfectly good options and functionality?

It's a new engine... they didn't take UT2004 and remove parts of it to release UT3.
Why should they spend a lot of time on adding features (like demorec) that almost no one uses?
Look back at UT200x, it had a lot of these same issues, which were then patched later (or not).

UT Community: "Where's the game, I want the game, it's been long enough already"...
Epic: "Ok but a lot of the optional non-game stuff won't be finished by then"...
UT Community: "I Want The Game!"...
Epic: "Ok, here"...
UT Community: "Why doesn't this work the way I want? Where's this? Where's that?"... waaah!

Last edited:

Sahkolihaa

Ow...
Dec 29, 2004
England
So you're saying all the other PC games out there that have problems on many configurations are unfinished?

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark

That argument only works for things that nolonger makes sense, and things that where allways disliked by the fanbase, but when you start cutting away things that still make sense, and the fanbase wants, then you are not pleasing your fanbase, and you are not doing yourself any favors!

UT3 has cut plenty of things it never should have, and i should not need to list them, it has been argued many a time before.

[VaLkyR]Assassin

Kidneythieves and Poets of The Fall Fan
Jan 20, 2008
Blackpool, England, UK
valkyrgaming.com
You need a unique key for each system...
I have a game development studio with multiple high-end workstations.
Multiple copies allows for multiple people here to simultaneously play LAN or Internet.

Makes sense. I've never tried LAN so don't know, but does it not allow a single copy to be re-used on different machines for MP over LAN only operation? I have games like Call of Duty that allow that... obviously not for online play of course. Just interested....

Vlad

The Dude
Oct 19, 2000
DC
www.pc-gamers.net
Ya know, I would be a believer and sing to the high heavens if Epic/Creative would just fix the X-Fi OpenAL crash that has been documented since November!

Please don't get me wrong, I want this game to succeed as the previous versions have. The sound quality from the original files, (that crash UT3), vs. the "fix" of using BlackSite's OpenAL files is like night and day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That argument only works for things that nolonger makes sense, and things that where allways disliked by the fanbase, but when you start cutting away things that still make sense, and the fanbase wants, then you are not pleasing your fanbase, and you are not doing yourself any favors!

UT3 has cut plenty of things it never should have, and i should not need to list them, it has been argued many a time before.
As DGUnreal said, it's not like they took UT2004 and started chipping things away from it. This is a new game on a new engine. Those features never existed, and any implementation of them in UT3 is what was WORKED UP from nothing.
Wrong. That IS the point. Epic can't fix a problem that they don't have any control over. This is like saying that if GameSpy goes down they are responsible for it going down. This is a stupid point of view and incredibly ignorant. They are at fault for implementing Gamespy but not for GameSpy going down.

Same with OpenAL (though without OpenAL you would have NO surround support :p).
Again, it's an example of another part of the game that wasn't properly implemented. The core of it is there, but it's extremely buggy --> unfinished.
No, it's not at all. It is a feature that was not important to them at release and is clearly not important to them now (thus, unsupported). You can't just make things "required features for the game to be finished" at will.
Uhh... I am? No one cares about the horrible server browser? Lack of modding capability? etc? :hmm:
I was obviously talking about your final paragraph, which did not mention the server browser. And the game does not lack modding capability, it just lacks the modding capability of UT2004, which is not the same thing.
Client-side demo recording doesn't work for online games, and it's horribly buggy for offline games (who records themselves playing offline anyways?) Excuse me for expecting it to work "the way I want it to."
I'm sorry if an unsupported feature doesn't work "the way you want it to". Are you also crying because the game doesn't include ultra neon brightskins? ;p
The reverse of that is even more true: Removing functionality for the sake of avoiding "sequelitis" is stupid. If it ain't broke, why fix it? Why remove perfectly good options and functionality? I don't know about you, but I doubt preserving IA options or including cs demo recording is going to make UT3 feel too "sequely."
Guess you need to read DGUnreal's post. And re-read it until it sinks in.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
FPS > *

Good gawd brizz, I remember when I had that much free time lol.

Looks like a lot of typing to me, when the only problem that needs to be expressed is Frames Per Second.

Consoles don't have that problem (at least no where near to the same degree). Neither do some of the more popular titles.

A few people may find 35-40 seconds to be "running great", if they really like the title, but if your system is squeaking out 40fps, it's dipping at cluttered times, and that's bad to most people.

There are a lot of variables, and certain things should need to be constants before all these other comparisons are made. The cool thing about a console system is you can take two titles on it, and compare them directly.

So if MOHAA does/did better that UC on the xbox, then arguably one could say "people prefer realism", or "MOHAA was marketed better", or "MOHAA had less bugs."

UT3 PC sits in a very unique spot right now, because only people who are enthusiasts or in the industry (reviewers etc) can run the damned game well enough to really make an objective opinion about it. I know there are a couple other graphics intense games out there now, but none of them are even really doing well enough to the point where you can start to compare styles.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
What I'm getting at is that people who play PC games are starting to act like they are console games. They think that any computer should be able to run any game at the maximum possible detail settings. This is only a recent development, and probably because of the major shift to console gaming over the past several years.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
I'm sorry if an unsupported feature doesn't work "the way you want it to". Are you also crying because the game doesn't include ultra neon brightskins? ;p

But, it does... I have to use a mutator to get the f*** rid of them.
Regardless, I've gotten the impression that BU basically just exists to hate things now. I've stopped looking at it as, "Oh it's this or that in UT3 that made everyone here have so much fun bashing it," and started realizing that if it wasn't the UI or whatever people want to blame, then it would have been something else. UT3, and any future UT titles, are probably doomed from the start regardless of what they end up being.
I have my doubts that a lot of community's actually exist to support the game. They exist to support their own egos and opinions, instead.

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
I've seen stuff like this around:
They removed dodge-jump because a bunch of "pro's" whined that they'd spent 5 years mastering UT99, and couldn't adapt.

Funnily enough Epic listened to them and the result was an embarassingly piece of **** game. Now the pro's are turning around and saying the community is **** for not learning how to not dodge-jump.

UT2004 was a step forwards ffs, if you'd listened to us, none of this would ever have happened.
I don't care about that one.

But this is the part that UT99'ers don't get:
hell u cud jump higher than that in a single jump in ut99, not even a double jump, and ut3 is not even a tenth as fun as ut99 was... and making the jumping nerfed wud be fine, BUT NOT WHEN U have to dodge TANK SHELLS ...
UT3 "failure" is your fault.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
That's just a case of people only wanting the last game they played. That always happens with sequels.
On a side note, I find it both embarrassing and hilarious that people always cite 2k4 as the major innovation step for Unreal, when XMP, 2k3, and UC2 beat the s*it out of it for new stuff, and they were all pretty much universally hated because of that.
Unfortunately, a thread like this might as well just be named, "Everyone come here and bash UT3 some more!"
People don't want to support a game anymore. It's much more fun to hate something.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I remember how nerfed the jump felt in Unreal.

Maybe console games have skewed the relative assessment of how games should look, or play. That still doesn't change the fact that Epic has the wrong aim with graphics.

I was playing HL2 a few months ago, and my GF looks at the game over my shoulder one evening, and makes a comment about "how much better that looks than an xbox game." She's not a gamer at all, and at a glance, that was her first through.

HL2 runs fairly well on most machines (now anyways), and apparently, looks better "at a glance" than most stuff on the bigger console systems.

That's where their aim should be. Best FPS possible, and still look noticeably better than the console games.

At least then we would have more people here to debate gameplay and polish with. In the mean time, they are going to play COD4 or CS.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
People don't want to support a game anymore. It's much more fun to hate something.
Random blanket statements with no backing kick ass!

People want to support a game that's fun and good and all that. You can't make people like something they don't like. The very idea is retarded and totally against what the genie said in Aladdin (about how he has phenomenal cosmic power yet can't make someone fall in love).

Example: CoD4 certainly isn't perfect. In fact, it suffers from a lot of the same issues UT3 has -- crappy server browser, gameplay designed with consoles in mind, mysterious patch that takes forever to come out, etc. Yet many people like it because it's fun. It's the #2 game behind WoW, at the moment.

Just keep in mind that it's troll statements like yours above that keep other trolls around to argue with you. :)

I'm not saying I'm a troll; I'm just saying. I'm sure everyone already considers me one, though. D:

Last edited: