Damn, there are some garbage cameras out there. (long thread)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Yeah, sorry, no TL;DR version. You wanna hear this, read it.

Okay, long story short: My mother ordered a camera. It got sent to Calgary, Alberta, Canada instead of Ontario Canada because Canada Post are total and complete retards that UPS does better than in every way.

We call them up and bitch them out for being retards, then we call up the shopping channel (.com) and tell them Canada Post f*cked up. They send out another camera and put a trace on the first one.

Meanwhile, Canada Post's only good worker woke up and saw the mistake, and they successfully retrieved it from Calgary. Yeah, we ended up with both of them.

So I decide I'll take one, and pay for it. I call them up and tell them the story. Habib, from the middle of buttf*ck, cuts me off and says "We lost it, don't worry about it". I tell him we have it and I want to pay for it (yeah, my morals suck :p)

We make arrangements to pay for it, and I start playing with my new toy, the HP R937 camera with a 3.6 inch screen and touch screen interface. I love it. I zip through the menus, setting it up.[/long story short]

The problem begins when I take a picture. First, I notice it's numbered 0129. Unless I am mistaken, a "new" new camera should be "unused", being that "unused" is "new", and have a picture number of 0001. First clue something is wrong.

Second is when I take the SD card out of the camera and put it in the computer, and look at the picture full-size.

THEY. ARE. AWFUL.

"Grainy" would be the most generous description I can give them. Looks like static running through the entire thing. I snapped a few more with different settings, some actually managed to look worse than the original pictures I took.

Well okay, maybe I just have a sh*t unit. Lemons happen. I understand. I had a couple of those in my life that got replaced with the same model, and they worked fine.

Try my mother's camera (same camera).

Yup, pictures look the same as the other camera took.

I liked the fast startup time, huge screen, the touch interface, I wish my Nikon Coolpix S51 had that stuff... but yeah, if the pictures look horrible, then it's not really a keeper. <3 my Coolpix.

In short, I cannot recommend this camera to anybody. At all. Whatever. I don't care if you are a point-and-shoot artist, and you don't need an SLR or other super-camera, and you just want something to take for picture albums. Stay away. HP needs to stop spending so much time on the presentation, and make something that doesn't reek. They're not there yet.

Selentic

Out of your mind.
Jun 9, 2008
tl:dr

This gif will help you feel my pain
emot-goat.gif

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
That is awesome. If that can be trimmed down a little to have just the guy with the :V face doing that dance, that'd be great. (edit: And the ninja with the nunchucks.)

But yeah anyway, the HP R937 takes pictures that have quality that blows goats.

Selentic

Out of your mind.
Jun 9, 2008
I bought some olympus camera and it works great for me. But lol@how they sent you a used camera.

Also not my gif
downs.gif

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
So I decide I'll take one, and pay for it. I call them up and tell them the story. Habib, from the middle of buttf*ck, cuts me off and says "We lost it, don't worry about it". I tell him we have it and I want to pay for it (yeah, my morals suck :p)

Moral of the story: Be grateful of the good luck that lady luck gives you or she will turn that **** right back around on your ass.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
My mom's first two cameras were HPs. They were ok I guess but nothing fantastic. The latest one, an M417 I think, still takes a while to capture a scene (this increases the risk of blurry photos) and the battery life is dismal.

The latest one is a Lumix which in a big improvement in terms of speed and picture brightness. The unit is also made of shiny metal and the usual viewfinder has been replaced by a big LCD.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-...gital-Cameras.75046_11002_7000000000000005702

Last edited:

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
I also have an S51, and I love it. I'd only trade it for an SLR.

Do you find dust and other particulates get under the screen? That's my only real problem with it, the underside of the screen is dirty as hell and I can't clean it out myself. And I'm not sending it to Nikon every month either...

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
That is awesome. If that can be trimmed down a little to have just the guy with the :V face doing that dance, that'd be great. (edit: And the ninja with the nunchucks.)

But yeah anyway, the HP R937 takes pictures that have quality that blows goats.

Lucky for you I loved that SA thread so much I saved the images.

vdance5jg.gif

ninjadance.gif

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
That is awesome, thanks. You are currently my favourite poster. :D

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Do you find dust and other particulates get under the screen? That's my only real problem with it, the underside of the screen is dirty as hell and I can't clean it out myself. And I'm not sending it to Nikon every month either...

Nothing yet... I've only had it for a few weeks though. I'll let you know in the future if it gets anything.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Mine lives mostly in my pocket though, when I take it with me, I stick it in my pants pocket. May have something to do with it.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
I got my compact from US, to avoid the duty my brother got it without the box, lost the zip pouch in the process :( Mine suffers from some dust too, makes most pictures granier.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Really? I find the dust doesn't have any effect on the quality of pictures it takes, it's just annoying as hell when viewing the screen. What kind of camera is it?

I can vouche for HP cameras sucking fat horse cock.

On the other hand, my Kodak camera is a beef cake. It's a few years old now, but it's been crushed (LCD screen no longer works), melted, stepped on, dropped from over 10' high, rained on, and weathered. And it still takes pictures like the day we bought it :)

Going for an XSI or 40D though. I'll make sure to take care of that one alot better.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
All Consumer based digital cameras tend to be shiot in the image quality department. Being spoiled these last few years with Canon and Nikon DSLR's image quality, there is just no way I would pick up a consumer camera for any reason other than for testing purposes. This isn't me being snobbish either. Its all about having a wide range of features and having excellent image quality. Can you really take excellent photos with a camera that isn't able to deliver excellent quality images? Isn't that the entire basis behind photography? Excellent image quality?

In this case I would say "you get what you pay for" but its simply not true since you can still pick up a first generation digital rebel for under $300 used. Light years ahead of any pocket sized camera. Its a gamble, do you want to show off the photos you took or do you want to show off the size of your camera? As I have learned working in the industry... nobody cares what you used to take the photos with, just that the photo looks freak'n sweet!

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Oh Btw if your terrified of the used market... look into the Canon EOS 1000D. Its a hybrid of the Rebel XTI and the XSI. Retails just under $700. Your better off going for a used XTI or 20d IMO. More bang for your buck!