Install Error (I *think*)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mike

Dec 28, 2005
Shrewsbury, UK
After playing an old version of the mod from a demo disc to death (Pc Zone November 2001) I decided to update. So I did.

Installing the mod (NeoCairo Beta 5.2) in my Unreal Tournament GOTY folder I found I couldn't run it as a 'Critical Error' keeps on coming up (see attachment).

Using my limited knowledge I'd say that I've installed in the wrong place, or something like that.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards, Mike.

Attachments

• temp.bmp
    171 KB · Views: 29
PC Zone mag. I remember that version. I never personally owned the GOTY version of UT '99, so I am not certain where the challenge may lay. However, I would recommend making sure that your UT'99 is patched to its newest revision. Also as usual, we used our own launcher for that release, so you might want to look for a "Launch NeoCairo" shortcut in the folder.

Nice to see others playing the ol' gal. She's still got some steam for UT'99.

I wonder if anyone else has used it with the GOTY edition.

Mike

Dec 28, 2005
Shrewsbury, UK
Cheers for the tips.

I can actually run the launcher bit (the thing that says 'Mode/Single Play'?) its just when I go to run the actual game itself (the UT engine?) it comes up with the error.

Looking in the UT folder I'm seeing lots of "NC_SomethingOrOther" (e.g. NC_Maps).

Do they want to be staying in there or putting in the original folders (e.g. Maps).

Oh and yeah - UT 99 is still very hot online.

Comrade Jerkov

You are in contravention...
Dec 23, 2005
Brittannium
I own the GOTY version. I've never had that issue.

I think your problem is the file locations. I'd advise making sure you have the latest UT, and downloading the installer exe that Sandrock is suggesting. That'll install everything to where it needs to go :)

I am guessing you installed from a zip, and put your NC maps in the UT maps folder. NC searches for map files in UnrealTournament/NeoCairo/Maps, not UnrealTournament/Maps. I'm guessing this is where your problem lies :)

Ensure anything you installed from NeoCairo is in the NeoCairo folder.

Last edited:

SandRock

Team Orbit
Nov 24, 2003
NeoCairo Temples
Comrade Jerkov said:
I am guessing you installed from a zip, and put your NC maps in the UT maps folder. NC searches for map files in UnrealTournament/NeoCairo/Maps, not UnrealTournament/Maps. I'm guessing this is where your problem lies :)

Ensure anything you installed from NeoCairo is in the NeoCairo folder.

Its probably not got to do with maps being misplaced, since this error says the problem lies somewhere in the engine.gameengine part of probably the main neocairo ini, or else the unrealtournament.ini

Mike

Dec 28, 2005
Shrewsbury, UK
I could run the old version I had off the demo disk great, its the new version that I'm having problems with.

I've just checked, I'm all patched up to the newest UT 436 Patch - and I installed with the neocairobeta52-max.exe file of your site.

Perhaps the only thing I don't have is the OpenGL on the BeyondUreal page as I downloaded the OpenGL Driver of the (official site.

All the same I'll add it in.

One question, when I'm edditing the .ini file do I want the [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] part to have exactly what it says on the handy instructions page? i.e. get rid of the lines that are already there and replace them with the ones on the site?

What doesn't seem to match up is the folders - all mine seem to be in the UnrealTournament folder (C:\Program Files\UnrealTournament) - Check the attachment.

I tried installing it into the default "C:\Unreal Tournament" folder but it didn't like that (which kind of makes sense, seeing as the rest of my files are in the other one).

And yeah, the amount of cheating that goes on online is sick.

Attachments

• temp.bmp
    236.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Mike

Dec 28, 2005
Shrewsbury, UK
SandRock said:
You defenatly need the mods files to be in the UT folder, try copy/pasting them over!
Thanks for the suggestion(s) but the Mod files are in my UT folder - as shown in the attchment above, I just don't know if thats where they are supposed to be - from what I gather from Comrade Jerkov's post the NC folders should be in their own NeoCairo section, i.e. C:\Program Files\UnrealTournament\NeoCairo\Maps.. Not as it stands, which is just in the C:\Program Files\UnrealTournament\NC_Maps folder.

Last edited:
Weird.. should've run out of the box. I wonder if the install is somehow borked. Sounds like the files/folders did not even copy over properly.

Cheaters can thin a good community pretty quickly. Epic should place more safeguards in their updates. It would not surprise me to find out that some cheaters were part of industrial espionage-like attacks, waged to make UT seem like a poor gaming experience online. That hassle is enough to drive many gamers to a rival game, and engine. Food for thought.

Mike

Dec 28, 2005
Shrewsbury, UK
ThunderBear said:
Weird.. should've run out of the box. I wonder if the install is somehow borked. Sounds like the files/folders did not even copy over properly.
So probably the best thing I should do is re-download the installer. I think I'll do that sometime in the New Year though.

Any other suggestions will still be taken onboard. :)

Edit: those are some very deep thought ThunderBear - I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft where behind all this cheating. ;)

Last edited:

SandRock

Team Orbit
Nov 24, 2003
NeoCairo Temples
Heh, Microsoft would probably get a blue error screen trying to run their own hacks :p

Anyway here is the file structure i got after downloading and installing the release, as you see i have no UT installed, so i couldnt test it ;)

The attatchements show the file structure and the file to load the game with.

Besides that, all i can think of is that maybe some mods/mutators corrupted your UT ini's, or are conflicting with NC. Or perhaps you tweaked your INI's. Maybe a fresh install of UT99 would help..

Attachments

• Installation.JPG
    Installation.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Installation2.JPG
    Installation2.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: