Steve Polge about UT3 Expansion Pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No, in order to breathe new life into the game it needs to and probably will be a retail patch.
Unfortauntely, I think it's set up for failure if all it is is a retail patch (unless they break network compatibility).

There are lots of netcode level issues would requires this, but I honestly can't see Epic doing this for a retail patch.

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
No, in order to breathe new life into the game it needs to and probably will be a retail patch.

A free expansion or patch is probably not going to encourage new sales of the game nor is it going to encourage gamers to reinstall the game if it's been taken off the hard drive. An expansion that's for sale might spark enough interest to dust the game off and get someone online.

The other thing is that a if it IS a retail expansion, that means that there's probably going to be considerably more effort and change than if it was a free expansion. Obviously, just a map pack is not going to be something (at least historically) that Epic has charged for. I think that some major changes in game play without discarding the classic format for the gamers that still play. Probably a considerably different game type included in the mix, probably one that more closely resembles some game mod from a more popular game.

And completely unrelated, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the UT3 armor system. Much better than UT2kx's.

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Unfortauntely, I think it's set up for failure if all it is is a retail patch (unless they break network compatibility).

There are lots of netcode level issues would requires this, but I honestly can't see Epic doing this for a retail patch.

Then what is it going to be? The game, in its current state, is fundamentally bugged and broken. Epic has to do SOMETHING, they can't just release a couple maps and call it a day.

This will have to be a 2k3-2k4 style revamp to have any sort of impact at all.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Depends on what you did to change the armor system. UT3's is bollocks, IMO, because the belt is equal in armor to collecting all three of others together. Since it's far easier to grab and control one item instead of three, the belt is actually better than all the others combined.

The change I was going to make to UT2004's system would be to get rid of the variable damage absorption rate. For some reason, when you have 50 armor it absorbs 50% of the damage, 100 does 75%, and 150 does 100%. This puts a lot of value on being completely stacked but means that a 50 armor doesn't help you that much.

I was simply going to give them all a 70% absorption rate and let the 50 armors stack. This would help 1v1s be less about camping the 100 (or belt in UT3) and more about moving around the map continually.

Like the others, I don't see what's bad with it. Currently the system works just like in UT3, just that there are no thigh pads nor helmet as there is nothing to replace with them.

That sounds strange - "I want a patch that breaks network compatibility!" :D :D And I agree with everyone that says it must be a UT2KX style revamp.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown

That would be a very bad idea for Epic to do if they're attempting to make a UT2004 type re-release of UT3. Because when UT2004 broke compatibility with UT2003, it screwed up a lot of mod projects that were started on UT2003. Jailbreak and ChaosUT 2 managed to adapt because they were already done on UT2003 and needed only a few changes. Mods that were unfinished had to either start from scratch or make major changes that eventually screwed the whole code up.

If Epic were to do that again and force mod makers in the current MSUC to make their incompatible UT3 mods work with the new update, it might be the final straw for these dev teams...

keith1818

Sep 25, 2008
... But the huge mishmashed array of characters with varying sizes was a valid criticism of UT2004.

i guess the idea behind having a huge mishmashed arry of characters is the tournament idea. in a tournament all kind of characters compete and that's why i think it's NOT a valid piece of criticism!

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
Content sizes are increasing quickly, but remember the speed of the internet is to.

I remember taking hours to download the bonus packs for UT99 at 5kb/s..
I remember having to miss out on things like the CBP on UT2k3/4 when they came out as it would have took so long to download on 512kb/s....

As it stands now UT3 is working out the best for me, I've got 20mb, can download nearly anything I want in no time, problems is its the servers that aren't quick enough most of the time now.

Its not the games fault that other technology aren't keeping up with the ingame content size.

That's true. Internet is much faster today but the problem is often the server connection. I have a 16.000 Kbit/s link but it's only average busy with 6-8Mbit. If I download a map with redirection I often have 2-4Mbit or less.

And I say yes, it is a games fault that other technologies aren't keeping up with the ingame content size. You must adapt your game to the average avaiable technology and not the best possible. You can't blame others because your game is not running well. They don't care about.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
i guess the idea behind having a huge mishmashed arry of characters is the tournament idea. in a tournament all kind of characters compete and that's why i think it's NOT a valid piece of criticism!

Well if you put it that way though with all those characters of different sizes, skills and whatnot... Why do they all have the same hitbox, health, carry the same amount of armour and all use the same weapons?

If Epic were to do that again and force mod makers in the current MSUC to make their incompatible UT3 mods work with the new update, it might be the final straw for these dev teams...

This is certainly a concern of mine as well! As much as I would like to play with the new features UE3 has added enough extra work in the pipeline as it is without changing versions mid cycle. UE3 is gonna be around for awhile and look good for perhaps longer then any previous UT so I really do think there should be some interest in stickin with whats compatible for an expansion.

If this were an entirely new game that happened to use assets from UT3 with a few updates here and there, that might be another story, especially if there was some porting utils for maps.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That would be a very bad idea for Epic to do if they're attempting to make a UT2004 type re-release of UT3. Because when UT2004 broke compatibility with UT2003, it screwed up a lot of mod projects that were started on UT2003. Jailbreak and ChaosUT 2 managed to adapt because they were already done on UT2003 and needed only a few changes. Mods that were unfinished had to either start from scratch or make major changes that eventually screwed the whole code up.

If you're not done it shouldn't affect you that much :p

But frankly, it comes down to, do you want UT3 to have another chance at success or just let people play mods and forget about that? I'd really like it to have another chance.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Well if you put it that way though with all those characters of different sizes, skills and whatnot... Why do they all have the same hitbox, health, carry the same amount of armour and all use the same weapons?.

No idea about the hitbox, but everything else is different. Don't you use the Species Stats Plus mutator or what? :p And as for the weapons, well, Liandri gives them those.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
well i have no idea what theyre going to do, but maybe if they did something like release a UT3 eXtremeTournament Edition, and re-release UT3 as a finished polished product with new Server Browser & UI with the emphasis on the Tournament then maybe thatd stir the pot ... fix the major issues, add some factions, fix modding issues and add some more content ala 2k3 -> 2k4 then we're talkin' ;)

keith1818

Sep 25, 2008
Well if you put it that way though with all those characters of different sizes, skills and whatnot... Why do they all have the same hitbox, health, carry the same amount of armour and all use the same weapons?

just for the case you're being serious:
they have the same hitbox, health and carry the same amount of armour and same weapons cause everything else would not be fair.

to put in in other words: if the tournament competitors cannot differ in armour, weapons and health then let them at least differ widely in their appearance.

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
If you're not done it shouldn't affect you that much :p

But frankly, it comes down to, do you want UT3 to have another chance at success or just let people play mods and forget about that? I'd really like it to have another chance.

This ^

What good is keeping compatabillity for mods if it'll only be played by the 200-500 or so people who actually play this game? there are crummy Flash time-waster games that get much more traffic than UT3 ever had..

Eh, you can't really loose what you never had to begin with, so whats the point of trying to hang on to it instead of giving the game another chance at the big leagues?

well i have no idea what theyre going to do, but maybe if they did something like release a UT3 eXtremeTournament Edition, and re-release UT3 as a finished polished product with new Server Browser & UI with the emphasis on the Tournament then maybe thatd stir the pot ... fix the major issues, add some factions, fix modding issues and add some more content ala 2k3 -> 2k4 then we're talkin' ;)

Thats what we all hope, because, that's whats needed, only this will make people take another look at UT3, if its anything less than that, well, i don't really see that working out all that great..

But with the info we have now (or rather, don't have), i dare not be optimistic at this point, i know there are many ways they could mess this up, even with good intentions, but the road to hell is paved with the stuff afterall..

Hell, we don't even know what platform(s) they have in mind yet.

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
Well a lot comes down to personal preference and I don't think the grungy look adds to the game experience. And I think the game takes itself way to serious now. I would have been very happy with the original simple UT99 tournament story instead of the overblown, story. But I suppose that was add mainly for the console players. And most disappointing is the bot AI in single player. I found it so frustrating trying to do a campaign that I just gave up on it. I hope they have some new weapons in the expansion. I mean UT3 add no new weapons. In fact they took some away.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Read the first paragraph.

Umm........the armor system is about as same as first UT one and if you played "realtournament" preview (the project which was being made as commercial expansion for first UT but then dropped), then it is exactly the same as it contains helmet as well.....
Shieldbelt makes you invulnerable until you lose all of its shields, thats why it is unique, UT2004 has nothing like that, UT2003 had it better as it protected you more and it was shieldbelt like. UT2004 armor is just a normal bull**** armor, no special things.

I hope they have some new weapons in the expansion. I mean UT3 add no new weapons. In fact they took some away.

But its a new game, not expansion to UT2004.........and they took away the crappy weapons which I am glad of........

Last edited:

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
Well a lot comes down to personal preference and I don't think the grungy look adds to the game experience. And I think the game takes itself way to serious now. I would have been very happy with the original simple UT99 tournament story instead of the overblown, story. But I suppose that was add mainly for the console players. And most disappointing is the bot AI in single player. I found it so frustrating trying to do a campaign that I just gave up on it.

+1.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Hey, I just realised why Epic dropped so much configuration from UT3... Simple: consoles. Those console players want it to work out of the box without any personalisation, while we, PC players, naturally like tweaking things.
So, they should better split the game to separate console and PC versions, or else..!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well a lot comes down to personal preference and I don't think the grungy look adds to the game experience. And I think the game takes itself way to serious now. I would have been very happy with the original simple UT99 tournament story instead of the overblown, story. But I suppose that was add mainly for the console players. And most disappointing is the bot AI in single player. I found it so frustrating trying to do a campaign that I just gave up on it. I hope they have some new weapons in the expansion. I mean UT3 add no new weapons. In fact they took some away.
Of course it's personal preference. But you're going to be hard pressed to find any UT fan that wants UT3 to return back to UT200x gameplay. The only people who want that are people that started with UT200x (typically).

And the story is a common complaint. I actually don't mind the story at all whatsoever, but I question the purpose of leaving out the classic tournament ladder mode. They had both in UC2, why not in UT3?

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
The fun fact is iirc UT3 was supposed to be with tournament ladder, but suddenly someone found "oh lets make epic storyline with dramatic ending" and look where are we now. Hopefully the expansion will do a little better in that area. But if they won't touch the SP part this time they better polish the hell out of mp part.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.