h e l p

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UTalkin to me?

Jan 17, 2001
CLeveland
Visit site
Ok I've uninstalled stuff on my PC before and reinstalled but heres my problem.
After reloading Win95, UT froze up when connecting to servers(i.e. rolling sound, reboot to get out of it)

After searching this board I decided to Uninstall UT and reinstall it. OH BOY :)

Well I can't reload cause the Install wizard says it can't find OpenglDrv.dll in the system folder on the CD. Says maybe yer CD is dirty- clean it try again HMMM.
Checked the CD - it doesn't have a file named OpenglDrv.dll!! What gives?

Unable to get a reload, tried to copy the CD to Hard dive but get a message when it gets to the System folder that I can't copy a file cause the "semaphore" is owned by another program.

OK so I'm gonna do these in order until I can get back here.
1. Drink another beer LOL
2. Gotta a bud with UT - will his CD work?
3. Check back tommorrow for replies
4. Gonna go play Q3

Thanks for any help!!

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
When you uninstalled UT, did you choose to delete a file that the Uninstaller gave you the option to keep (shared file)? Also, sometimes UT freezes on my machine too, I find that if I wait for a sec or two while the server query continues, then it will eventually continue.

There does seem to be a problem with the UT browser, IMO. When it's trying to receive info from a server that is crashing, going offline, experiencing net disruption, etc., it does tend to freeze for a few moments.

Have you been running UT problem free for a while? What changes have you made around the time the problems ocurred?

UTalkin to me?

Jan 17, 2001
CLeveland
Visit site
thanks for any help

Thanks for any ideas.
I ran UT with no problems for a few months.
I reloaded Win95 for other system problems last weeekend.
Since then the game froze but then degraded to the point where it would not launch.
GPF History
<UGalaxyAudio Subsytem
<UEngine init Audio
<UGameEngine init engine
So tried safe mode to fix an audio? problem. Game launched w/o sound enabled but still froze going online.
Decided to uninstall but did not get a message to keep any file.
? Is this file on the HD or the CD? I have the GOTY 432 version.
? Will it help to get that file and put it somewhere?
The UT browser had allowed me to jump right into FAV servers and connect before the whole list came up.

I am now going to try to Install UT ( after makin' room) onto another PC and see if the CD really is bad.
:( Sorry for the long message. I'll let ya know what I find

UTalkin to me?

Jan 17, 2001
CLeveland
Visit site
Thanks for the idea ...

Thanks for any help.
Also found that the reason I cant reinstall UT is that the CD is not reading long file names. :( I believe that I have the right drivers in ( only floppy I had for my Atapi from Mitsumi).
But the files names are still short example:
Opengldrv.dll (First file that UT setup can't "find")
looks like this when I look at the CD using open
Opengl~1.dll
I'm scouring the Web for info or drivers( Mitsumi says their in win95?) Kinda new territory for me.

Any more help or sites appreciated.

UTalkin to me?

Jan 17, 2001
CLeveland
Visit site
Yep

Your right I am in MSDOS compat mode on C and D.
I have tried reg cleaners - no help
Only the CD drive is shortening the files.
I have been to the Mitsumi site and tried the latest drivers (I have a FX240s)
Patience is a virtue (NOT!!)
LOL
I'll check the other site for X-Teq and keep pluggin' away
Thanks

Viking1

Highly Unstable
Aug 12, 2000
Winnipeg
www.cainsunited.net
Sounds like you may not have all the drivers for your motherboard installed. Go to their website and get the latest. Also check your Device Manager>System Devices to see if there are any yellow flags in there.

UTalkin to me?

Jan 17, 2001
CLeveland
Visit site
Me again, Yeah I have flags for my CD rom (says all drivers may not be installed) and my USB controller has one to. Says it needs a driver. Oh boy :(
I'll go to my Mob site tommorrow and poke around to see if I can find anything.
Maybe a reload (again) of Win95 with HD format will be needed but I'm hoping to avoid it.
Thanks again Talk at ya tomorrow.

UTalkin to me?

Jan 17, 2001
CLeveland
Visit site
Still at it

OK Viking I'll need to get U a :)beer:) if I get through this with my sanity.(Someone in another thread said the games don't make U aggressive, getting them running does)
Well first I've gotta fix my PC
Its like a puzzle U can't put down!
Anyway - from sites I've seen, I think what I did was put the drivers for the CD from floppy into my system. And sites say that an Atapi uses Win95 to run it doesn't need drivers from floppy.
That should explain the MSDOS running of the CD
Ok how do I get em out?
U asked if my C drive was in Compat mode.
It is because I got a flag on my Primary IDE controller
and one on my Secondary too.
OK I'm really stopping for now LOL
Till Tomorrow
P.S. This is the best support I'm getting from anyone. Thanks

UTalkin to me?

Jan 17, 2001
CLeveland
Visit site
Yo Viking1,
I am using my laptop from work to get back to u.
I loaded Win95 again and it runs worse.
After looking around the Net I know whats going on. I just have to try some of the fixes.
I have a
233 P2
64M ram
Western digital HD
Atapi 2speed CD
Intel 82371ab chipset
voodoo2
I believe that when I loaded win95 2 times ago that I must have put the dos drivers in for the CD. I removed the PCI bus in device man and let the machine look for the drivers upon restart. Same prob. I think now that is because there is a config.sys or autoexec.bat line that is reloading the dos drivers. I have to find the files and rem the references out.

How's this sound? :)

UTalkin to me?

Jan 17, 2001
CLeveland
Visit site
:) :) :) :)
Hey Viking1.
It lives!!
Depending to who u talk 2, some say u can reload Win95 overtop existing win95.
Talked to another person about my computer's death spiral.
He said I must reformat. Then I had to load my hard disk controller files onto C: before I loaded win95. They must have been corrupted. I had a floppy from when I got the system. Then I did a normal boot with my startup disk for my CDROM. At that point it was smooth sailing!
I hope by tonight to have reloaded my Net software and UT and see if I can go frag something! :)
Thanks for your help and support. I hope to use my experience to help others
Later

Viking1

Highly Unstable
Aug 12, 2000
Winnipeg
www.cainsunited.net
Best of luck.

Come see us at the lair when you're back up.

3dcool.gif

UTalkin to me?

Jan 17, 2001
CLeveland
Visit site
Viking last message (for this thread)
YEAH BABY!! (Yeah I know no caps)
I'm on my home puter finally.
Couple more settings and reload games and look out world!
Wee!
If I can get it 2 u, check your email!
Later!