Diversions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I_LoveToKill

Danish Bastard!
Nov 11, 2001
Denmark
ROT

Ahhh, Rise Of The Triad - now THAT brings back memories....

It was actually way ahead of its time ahead as I remember
there was wolfenstein/DooM like gameplay, maze, pussle,
jumppads and breaking windows - I still remember the 'shroom'
powerup that made your display freak totally out and made you
want to wommit after a while, or the one that transformed you
into a mad dog ripping bad guys apart... :)

Loved the way sometimes a bad guy would fall to his knees and
beg for his life... hehehe BANG!

I also remember the last fight with the 'NME' bot - it looked like a
cross between R2D2 and a garbage can spewing ripper blades...

Games other than Unreal?...

Tombraider (Played all TR's) - I love all Lara's moves, like
jumping, flipping in the air and grabbing something - cool...

To relax I play Thief II which is also a cool game...

ThunderBirdUT

Dangerously Player
YEAH YEAH!!!!

I played all with oldest:

ROT
Duke Nukem all parts
Commander Keen all parts
DOOM I and II
Wolfenstein3D
Quake I

I finished all above!

I have ROT on disks!!! I think...heh

ThunderBirdUT
thunderbirdut.jpg

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Originally posted by Sir_Brizz
Find me Rise of the Triad :D

I will look for all my old floppies. I have them packed somewhere. I will let ya know what I find. There was a couple of other games that was really sweet can't remember titles right now but still remember certain floors or maps in them.

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Originally posted by Sir_Brizz
Rise of the Triad was a great game...I wonder why it never got popular. I wonder if there is an abandoned games list that has it somewhere....

OK here are some old games I found packed away except for 2-6 which are in my desk. Sorry couldn't find ROT must have D/L that one or it was a demo. I will start with the ones I really liked. This will start the list so see if you can add to it. Remember these are old games. I have lots of newer ones but UT is the Main One Still.

1) ROT
2) Duke Nukem all parts
3) Commander Keen all parts
4) DOOM I and II
5) Wolfenstein3D
6) Quake I & II
7) Terminator (Rampage)-Cool FPS
8) Jill of the Jungle
9) Hired Guns- Nice 4 Pane Screen each with 1 player.
10) X-COM-Very Different but Sweet
11) Chess Maniac (5 Billion and 1)
12) Descent
13) Martian Memorandum
14) Metal & Lace (Battle of the Robo Babes)
15) Streetfighter II
16) LEMMINGS (Liked that Game)
17) Laura Bow (Dagger of Amon RA)
18) Leizure Suit Larry (All of them)
19) Kings Quest
20) Arcade Classic's (Can still find)
21) Silent Thunder (A-10 Tank Killer)
22) Spring Break (Spellcasting 301)
23) Ultima VII & Underworld
24) Space Hulk
25) Wing Commander
26) F-15 Strike Eagle
27) Indianapolis 500
28) Patton Strikes Back (Battle of the Bulge)
29) Links386 (Now this game is a SUCCESS)
30) Lucas Arts Crap (All of them sucked)

aka(scorpius)

White Rabbit
Dec 5, 2001
nyc
Visit site
Jill of the Jungle - Epic's first big hit

i'd forgotten all about that game... I think I still have it on a floppy disk somewhere. Think I'll dig it out & play it again.:D

[T2K]dARK_g

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
I played ALOT of games since UT came out, I work at Electronics Boutique I can used the employees 'borrowing' abilities on every new game I want to play.
Ive got pretty much every fps since 6-2000 burned as well as a several others. It does make me very jaded and highly critical of every new release.

About the Cambridge 5.1 speakers; get them if you have somewhere decent to put the rear speakers, they come with these flimsy little stands that I am always knocking over, otherwise I recommend them, they have good sound (if you are close to the speakers) and ample volume.
The neighbour thinks there is a war going on when I play UT on quarter volume.
If you ever heard the female soldier scream when you gib at full volume it isn't particularly easy on the ears.

Word of warning, to take full advantage of the 3D surround in UT you need a very fast pc with a very high quality sound card. Otherwise it just chugs, I never bother with it except for DVDs and playing CS which seems to run fine and lets me hear exactly where people are.

ThunderBirdUT

Dangerously Player
Umm...

Wondering any one use Atari games?

I do still have:

1) Atari 800 (computer 8-bit)
2) Atari 800XL (computer 8-bit)
3) Atari 1040STF (computer 16-bit)
4) Atari 5200 (console)
5) Atari 2600 (console)
6) I have over 1000 games for atari's.

My Favor games is:
1) AtomSmasher
2) Jumerman I and II
3) Builder Dash I and II
etc...

Do you??

I am still Atari fans. it is best! sad.. no UT in it! :p

ThunderBirdUT
thunderbirdut.jpg

TwoHardCore

Feb 1, 2000
Calgary, Canada
Here's the games I've been diverged to and still come back to UT:

Serious Sam
Alice
Deus Ex
Max Payne
NHL 2002
Rally Master 3
F1 Championship Season 2000
eRacer
The Wheel of Time
AoE II
Colin McRae II
Operation Flashpoint (1st mention of this one so far!)
Star Trek Armada
Star Trek - Deep Space 9: The Fallen

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Since I've become addicted to UT, I've purposely stayed away from games that could very easily become addictive also, like AoE][ and Everquest. I'm sure these are great games, but I don't dare try. Also, I really like FPS games a lot.

Danz,
I have a P3-500 w/ 256 MB SDRAM and ATI Rage Fury video card. If I get the SBLiveAudigy X-Gamer card and Klipsch 5.1 speakers, will this cause UT to chug with surround sound or will I need to upgrade my MB-CPU-RAM also. I am eventually going to do this, but I'm just wondering. Thanks.

SkaarjMaster

[T2K]dARK_g

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
UT is basically a slightly modified version of Unreal, which was designed to run equally in software rendering. Therefore CPU makes the largest difference to how UT plays, UT is not going to run significantly faster on a Geforce than a voodoo 2 as it has no need for a GPU. UT also is not capable of using more than 112 megs of ram, if you just splash on new gfx card and ram you will be pretty much back where you started.

It sounds like you already have a decent enough amount of ram and an ok gfx card, thing is you are going to have to buy a whole new motherboard to make updating that P3 a significant gain.
If you really want to upgrade then get an athlon xp and new motherboard, you will be quite frankly stunned at the performance increase.

Probably worth giving the 3D sound a go, but it eats cpu and is hopeless online with lag thrown in. If I were you hold on to the P3 you have as long as you can bear it and upgrade when U2/UT2 (whichever comes out first?) recommended requirements are released :) At that time you will be needing a hardware T+L card anyway.
I would say beg family/friends/passers by to buy you a brand spanking new PC for U2 early next year.
Either that or get saving :p

If you don't use your pc for dvds it cuts the usefullness of 5.1 in half, most games are so hopelessly slow for me when it's running.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Sounds like I may want to get the MB-CPU-DDR/SDRAM first, before I get the speakers and new Sound card. If the games are going to run that slow, then why get the speakers now?

What system do you have (Danz) and which games run hopelessly slow?

Also, I will probably not get a spanking new computer, at least for a while. Just changing out parts in the box I have now; as long as ATX continues to be the norm and I don't have to get a new case for a new form factor.

I didn't realize surround sound would eat up that much CPU juice. I'm looking at a few different MB's, but I'm definitely going Athlon (most likely XP processor, although still running Win98SE) with 256 of DDR SDRAM. You may have run across this in other subjects I have posts in. I do have a 4.8X DVD-ROM in my system, but it may be too slow to run effectively these days.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

SkaarjMaster

Last edited:

[T2K]dARK_g

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
Yeah I would just save your cash unless you can find a very cheap P3.

I am running a P3 800 @ 1ghz Geforce 2 GTS and 704 ram.

Any game that uses Unreal engine ie Undying, Rune, DS9 has been bad for me, and countless others, you see my first reply too many to post right now (tell me which you were thinking of running and I will test them.) CS seems good though, but thats probably down to low requirements. If you have the cash to upgrade now and in the future it's up to you, but I would rather save it and use it on a new system, it will be better value for money.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Well, I see what you mean by better value for the money, but I already have a Kenwood 72X CD-ROM and a CD burner plus a DVD-ROM. I'm probably going to get a GeForce3 Ti500 or better just before U2 is released and the speakers and sound card I mentioned earlier just before that. I think it's better for me, especially since I don't want to run anything higher than Win98SE right now, to just buy parts and change them out.

I may have found exactly what I wanted when I bought my present OEM system, but it may be hard to find it again. I'll just get a new MB-CPU-DDR/SDRAM in January, new speakers and sound card in March or April and video card in July. Hopefully, this will last me for a while, until I get another hard drive and a new CD burner before the end of the year 2002! Oops, how did that last pipe dream sentence get in there? See Ya!

SkaarjMaster

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think Quake 3 should be added to that list of old games that are packaged away. ;)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Q what? I still have maps I've downloaded that I haven't played from that. I blame it all on UT! Bad UT! No, good UT, good UT!!!

SkaarjMaster

edited: just checked, 510 maps in UT/Maps subd., only 70 in baseq3 subd. in Q3. Of course, this is not including maps that come with each game.