Making Tarquin's Torusbuilder better

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lodev

Sep 3, 2000
Belgium
Anyone ever wanted to make Tarquin's torus without a hole in the middle? Then it's @|#{§! that the Tubethickness must be SMALLER than the Outerradius. It would be better if the Tubethickness had to be SMALLER OR THE SAME as the Outerradius.

The solution is to change in the script the line

if( TubeThickness >= OuterRadius )
return BadParameters("Thickness must be smaller than Outer Radius");

into

if( TubeThickness > OuterRadius )
return BadParameters("Thickness must be smaller than Outer Radius");

and compile changed

(to get into the script, first deselect Actor classes only and then go to brushbuilders)

You can even remove the line, then you can make torusses with a larger Tubethickness than the Outerradius. However these are quite ugly and BSP-y

Tarquin, please think about this in your next release... Or do I have an old release and do you have changed this already?

Here's a screen

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
I set the parameter check to a strict inequality because:
1. at the time I hadnt realised that UEd merges vertices that coexist at a point, so I thought it might cause BSP errors,
2. i thought a zero-hole torus looked really weird -- as a subtract you get a central pillar that shrinks to a point. I don't think you'd want to walk on it as an additive, the engine may cause the player to stick in the hole -- though as decoration it could look good. (polycount though! :eek: )

yup, I'll change it for the next release, whenever that is.
(no PC at the moment, fried my mobo. ordering new kit soon)
The big things I want to do for the next release, like the linear stairs & the sphere are taking a while (what can I say? the weather's been too good to spend afternoons in a dark room ;) ), and I didn't think that a 'small fix' release was worth my trouble to package or users' to download & install -- tell me if you disagree :)
The new spiral stairs are still doing weird things. if anyone knows anything about the ratio a chord is divided into by n radii spaced at even angular intervals, that would help!

Last edited:

Lodev

Sep 3, 2000
Belgium
Hey cool you read my thread :D

For me there isn't the danger to get stuck in the hole, because I needed only a 90° (25%) part of the torus, I use it for bends in pipes.

High polycount? who cares :) pc's are getting faster and faster anyways, the original guidelines were for PII 200's but that has changed now I think... I also try to use as many 512*512 textures as possible now

Hey your brushes are great, I couldn't imagine how to make a map without them, please keep doing the great job :)

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
oh yeah... I hadn't thought of using it for pipes :rolleyes:

have you seen the corner brush I posted? I posted a preliminary version in a map to this board, though I can't rememebr what the thread was called... a search for 'corner' should pick it out though :)
glad to hear you find them useful :D