Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
So any of you have any cool ideas to add to the game?

A flaregun, works like the pipebomb except it doesn't blow up and carries a few rounds. Can be fired into zombies or survivors for lulz.
A nadelauncher, same as propane tanks in the sense that you can use it to wtfpwn a cluster of zombies or stun the tank, but only carries a handful of rounds. You'd basically be a dude with pistols who can spawn a few self-detonating propane tanks at will.
A special infected who'se intended purpose is to deal with closet campers. Like a kamikaze type with a "dash" ability that makes it charge forward, and leaves an area damage-over-time (or AoE DoT for us rpg nerds) at it's ragdoll.

I haven't thought much about what I'd like for extra campaigns or whatever. I'm happy with whatever they come up with.

Neddaf

Just a flesh wound!
Jul 19, 2001
Los Angeles, California
Ahhh, it's so much fun. The versus mode is by far more challenging and intense, you have to constantly stay on the move. Other than that, I'm glad I decided to buy it!!!

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Some random screenshots...

Toilet's best side
l4d_vs_farm05_cornfield0005.jpg

Zero doesn't have a best side
l4d_vs_hospital01_apartment0004.jpg

I'm guessing this ended badly
l4d_vs_hospital04_interior0000.jpg

& giving Funk server access is a bad idea
l4d_hospital01_apartment0017.jpg

Also, Hunters can go wherever they want
l4d_vs_hospital01_apartment0007.jpg

edit: finally did one on expert. dead air offline with ze bots :/

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Lol @ 4th image. So very familiar;)

A friend of mine had a problem with his keybinds (unbound his weapon switches) and didn't know how to fix it, so I offered to fix it for him.
Sent him a .cfg file with the fix in it ... and something extra:p
Any time he'd try to teamchat, he'd trigger a panic event.
Any time he'd try to zoom with the sniper, he'd spawn witches for as long as he held the button.

The funny thing is he didn't know you could do things like that in a .cfg file and we had him convinced for a couple of days that it was the director punishing him for staying back and camping with sniper;)
(No, he's not very bright;))

Last edited:

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2330/1230860173039qh2.jpg

:3

Looks like those weren't pain killers! :eek:

Yes. Boxed version generally just gives you serial key and a backup disc.
They finally started doing this? Last two Source games I bought for my old man DIDN'T.

Looks like I got some shop-stopping to do ('cause I AIN'T paying 64$ on Steam for this)

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
OK guys, I played this with my brother on his Xbox360 over the weekend and got owned because I can't seem to deal with the XBox controller at all. The game seems kinda cool and I'm thinking of getting the PC version, but I have some questions (I'm at work and got to page 9 before realizing I had to get back to work):

1. Can you play Versus between an XBox360 version and PC version?
2. Do I have to register with Steam to play online or can we do a direct connect sort of thing being in two different cities?
3. Can I do single player without registering with Steam and still be able to save my game on the PC?

Thank you and sorry if these answers are already in this thread somewhere. Just a comment: if my team doesn't want to get hit by friendly fire (in single player), then quit jumping in front of me when I'm on a rampage dumba$$es.;)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
1. Can you play Versus between an XBox360 version and PC version?
2. Do I have to register with Steam to play online or can we do a direct connect sort of thing being in two different cities?
3. Can I do single player without registering with Steam and still be able to save my game on the PC?

1. No cross-platforming.
2. You need a steam account to play this game. Don't know what you mean.
3. See 2. I take it you hate steam, if you hate steam so much and only seek the stupid single player then get a non-steam version "somewhere" on the net...

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
1. No
2. No
3. No idea

Why are you afraid of Steam?

Insta-posted by Kantham. So I'll just add this:

friendly-fire works two ways. You have to be just as judicious in where you fire as you are in where you run. In this game, it's very easy, by design, to become disoriented so you can't rely on the fact that your team mate is going to do something smart... like avoid running in front of your gun. ;)

I've found the best practice is when you start to get overwhelmed, either because of a horde-rush or because you've been "boomed", you just need to crouch and melee. Or at the very least, just melee. At least until you've regained your bearings.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Being crouched increase the chances of avoiding friendly fire, overall, that said when you move in or when you pass in front of your teamates. You can notice the players who tend to friendly fire the most. Some of them are aggressive players or simply players who doesn't coordinate with the team as horde rush in so they just spray on whatever they see. Friendly fire is only an issue on Expert IMO. As the other difficulties like Versus AKA normal and such doesn't really matter.

The best way to avoid friendly fire is to understand your teammates, definitively. The lamest case of friendly fire for me is with the sniper on expert. It happened a couple of time where my teammate walked behind the zombie I targeted so I accidentally incapacitate him. That or when someone simply walk in front of me.

Get out of the line of fire JD, yo.

BTW hal, I noticed the zombies does 10 DMG per hit in Expert. Sometimes 20. I suppose this is a random attack, notice the zombies sometimes use both their hands to hit someone? They also have mini combos sometimes which can be critical if you missed the zombie.

Expert really is about making sure you don't have zombies behind you.

Last edited:

Neddaf

Just a flesh wound!
Jul 19, 2001
Los Angeles, California
Versus is great fun. The only problem is, is that you must keep moving and remain on the run. People who stop, and lolly-gag around, totally ruin it, and the infected team just destroys you. I hate pugging it so much, I want to kill myself.

Peccavi

Jan 20, 2008
I thought about a spider-like boss infected that could cause obstructions at key points via some kind crazy web/membrane. Be pretty bad ass to be able to slow dow survivors at doors, and then wait for the cavalry.

Or even constrict survivors (via said membrane) leaving them helpless, but still able to move around, abliet slowly.

Movement could be imaginative.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So I've beat Dead Air and No Mercy on Expert.... and didn't get the achievemtn either time and neither counted towards my total. WTFG Valve......

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
So I've beat Dead Air and No Mercy on Expert.... and didn't get the achievemtn either time and neither counted towards my total. WTFG Valve......

Same thing happened to me on Death Toll. Since we did it legit, I had no problem in noclipping the entire thing.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
It doesn't count if you enter the game after the intro cinematic (in other words, if the level loads significantly slower for you than anyone else) or if you take a break at any point. Also I think some servers have sv_cheats enabled, which also disables the achievements...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It doesn't count if you enter the game after the intro cinematic (in other words, if the level loads significantly slower for you than anyone else) or if you take a break at any point. Also I think some servers have sv_cheats enabled, which also disables the achievements...
Nah, this was on the BU server both times. Annoyingly, the last time I took a break and didn't get it, but two people idled out and came back and they DID get it. I think that is probably pretty retarded.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
Nah, this was on the BU server both times. Annoyingly, the last time I took a break and didn't get it, but two people idled out and came back and they DID get it. I think that is probably pretty retarded.

Weird. I guess it's just plain bugged to hell then!
You could always cheat your way through in single-player for achievements you've been denied via bugs.