ONS Guidelines for players that s*ck!?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Anyone have any tips for Onslaught playing. I am having a difficult time handling the vehicles and am not sure why. They said the vehicles were supposed to be easy to handle, but it's not happening here. :eek:

spec_x

DA2 Project Lead/Level Designer
Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
zoom your view in closer, sometimes if the camera is too far back it's a little harder cause is looks like it's reacting really sensitively, closer in you are the more control you feel you have, or at least that's just me. Maybe I'm just used to racing games so it's easier for me, I dunno, lol. What specificly are you having trouble with?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Well, I figured out the rolling vehicles (car-type or tank-type, I'll get the names down soon enough), but the flying vehicles it's like I have no control. The one hugs the landscape and I can't seem to get any height in it. I try using the arrow keys, but it doesn't seem to want to go up if I hit up or down.....wait, let me look in the manual..........OK, the vehicles I have no problem with are the Goliath, Hellbender, Scorpion, Leviathan and all the turrets (including robot turret thing). I'm having trouble with the Manta (example mentioned above), Raptor and Phoenix. And I haven't even tried an ONS space map yet.

Uh, hehe, I need to read the manual more often. JUMP to ascend! CROUCH to descend! Now WTF am I going to set crouch to? Jump is already the right ctrl and if I make crouch the right shift, then I'll get confused about up and down because I'm one of those people that wishes I can switch all the up/down keys in flight simulator games. Can you make right shift ascend and ctrl descend, but only in ONS maps?

Last edited:

spec_x

DA2 Project Lead/Level Designer
Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
you're a silly bear! As far as the manta goes, your jump key is your best friend, hold it after a jump and you'll fly. Keep in mind that it turns slowly, learning to strife the opposite direction your turning well will help you out a lot when it comes to turning quicking, as it's rather slow if you don't. The raptor is pretty clunky for a flying vehicle, getting as much height as you can without loosing accuracy is a fun thing to practice, I usually just use my missles and act as a defense for ground vehicles, but it's also handy to use the same techniques as driving the manta, as it's pretty close to the same thing. As far as the pheonix goes, thats unmanned so you don't have to worry about flying it ;)

Skaarj, your problem obviously stems from the fact that you're on the wrong side of the keyboard! :D Right Ctrl for jump? Man! I guess you're still using arrow keys for movement? ;) You need to convert yourself to good ol' WASD, and from there all good things shall come. :) Just in case you missed it, W=fwd, A=strafe left, S=backwards and D=strafe right. Then you set your spacebar to jump (which you can then hit effortlessly with your thumb) and both Q and E to crouch. Why? Because then you can crouch when you're strafing left or right without cramping up your fingers (ie. crouch strafe left=A+E, crouch strafe right=D+Q). Maybe it sounds complicated, maybe it doesn't, but for me this setup rocks hard. It also means you have your arms nicely spaced apart without taking up masses of desk space! :D

Corion

Reviewer Dude ... Guy
Apr 18, 2004
Houston, TX
I use E for activate and Q for translocator. I ALWAYS, in every game, use C for crouch, because there are few times you need to jump and crouch at the same time (excluding half-life/counter-strike). This setup works very well for me.

I also like to change R to play the vehicle horn, because I'm so used to it being reload.
Since UT2004 has no reload, every time I'd hit it it would bring up the teamsay. I bound T to say and Y to teamsay, because thats how it is in pretty much every other online fps game. I also made TAB the "Hold-to-bring-up-scoreboard button" but its glitchy.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Gravity doesn't work very well in some maps and maybe all of them. I'll have to bind the crouch to something. Maybe the right shift key after all.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I know a lot of people do that, but I'm so used to the arrow I'll just stick with it for now. So, I guess the Raptor hovers when it stops in mid-air or they really did forget to enable gravity for this thing. :eek: Of course, it is an "Unreal" series game, hehe.

Corion

Reviewer Dude ... Guy
Apr 18, 2004
Houston, TX
I used the arrows for the longest time but switched sometime during the time I played JK online a lot. I thought all my other gamer friends were weird using WASD because I liked the arrows so much for running and turning and the letter keys as hotkeys for force powers and whatnot. Well eventually I started using the mouse for turning and aiming and I was instantly hooked. Since there are less keys in easy reach of Up down left and right, I decided to change to using WASD and started kicking all my friend's butts.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Forward is forward arrow, to turn left use the left arrow, turn right with the right arrow. If there's a weapon you turn, aim and shoot with the mouse. Ever play the Recoil tank game? It's the same deal.

Anyone know how to get rid of the respawning delay in ONS and AS? I know it will be impossible online, but what about offline? I keep hitting the fire button to respawn and all I see is a f*cking 5 second clock ticking down. Thanks UT2004 team :eek: :mad:

Johnny Bravo

May 3, 2004
Seattle
www.johnnybravo.org
Homeslice said:
I am good with the air vehicles but I can't control the *@&$#% ground vehicles! Someone *please* tell me how to do it!

Don't rely on pressing the forward key so much. Remember that when you start to go into a turn your forward momentum is going to carry you so lay off the gas, turn and use your existing momentum to get you through it.

One thing that helps me is to drive the land based vehicles as if they were real wheel drive. If you don't know what I mean then drive them normally except assume that the back end is going to kick out. So the slower you go into the turn the less you're going to lose control.

Corion

Reviewer Dude ... Guy
Apr 18, 2004
Houston, TX
LOL I find it hard to believe you are all having this much trouble with the unreal controls. Maybe they should make a drop-down list of control setups that you can choose from and then have the ability to create your own "profile" for controls like Jedi Knight I did... Or have a way to bind different controls for each vehicle ... man that sure would be cool ...