There is no excuse not to have a great gaming GPU

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Sorry but there is just not one person who is a gamer that should have a GPU that is not at least equal to the 8800GT (on the ATI side if you are an ATI person). These days the prices for vid cards that can run UT3 at max visual fidelity are so low that it boggles my mind:

http://firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=20586

Now we should start seeing SLI take off in a big way. Most enthusiasts should be able to afford a dual 8800GT setup now. Even getting two 9800GTXs isn't too big a cost in comparison to what we are used to paying. Finally things are getting better for the average gamer. :)

funkblast

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Aug 4, 2001
California
Visit site
I have to support 8 children, 7 cats and 5 dogs, all this on a McDonald's salary. I owe $600 in lay away to Walmart so I can get one of those fancy HD T.V's. I just cant waste my money on things like "Gpu's" (whatever those are) I need my money to buy the newest Hannah Montana DVD for my daughters.

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
There's no excuse for anyone to have a 720p HDTV in these wonderous days of 1080p anyone with a 720p is clearly a luddite and possibly amish. :mad:

PS. posting from my comp with a Radeon 9800 SO THERE

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I have to support 8 children, 7 cats and 5 dogs, all this on a McDonald's salary. I owe $600 in lay away to Walmart so I can get one of those fancy HD T.V's. I just cant waste my money on things like "Gpu's" (whatever those are) I need my money to buy the newest Hannah Montana DVD for my daughters.

You might want to think about keeping your dick in your pants mate and ditch the idea that you're noahs ark.
That'll save you a shed load of cash.

Lruce

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com
not everyone has $150-200...you may have it, but others might not.

you also have to realize a good 50% of "gamers" are of the college age or younger which is the POOREST age, with everyone trying to balance there part times jobs, with there school.

AND its not only the gpu, if you are UPGRADING to a $200 GPU you need an equally fast cpu or else there is no point in buying the gpu in the first place...and if the $200 gpu is an upgrade, there is a high possiblity that your cpu isnt that great either.

pinnacle

Jan 22, 2008
Sorry but there is just not one person who is a gamer that should have a GPU that is not at least equal to the 8800GT (on the ATI side if you are an ATI person). These days the prices for vid cards that can run UT3 at max visual fidelity are so low that it boggles my mind:

http://firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=20586

Now we should start seeing SLI take off in a big way. Most enthusiasts should be able to afford a dual 8800GT setup now. Even getting two 9800GTXs isn't too big a cost in comparison to what we are used to paying. Finally things are getting better for the average gamer. :)
You're forgetting a few more things:

- A lot of people don't know how to install new computer components. Sure it might seem trivial to people who know how to do it, but it's not as simple to someone who's never seen the inside of a computer before. Not to mention the fact that a lot of people have Dell-style computers that make it difficult to upgrade anything.

- $149 is still a lot of money to someone who doesn't care enough. Especially when you consider the fact that these people you're describing are probably running older computers, possibly with discontinued CPU sockets, AGP slots, and/or DDR memory. You can't just throw in a new GPU and expect instant performance. Hell, a lot of people are noticing huge gains by going just from an AMD dual core CPU to an Intel dual core CPU. What this means is that it's nearly worthless to only upgrade one component of a really old computer.

- $1000 might get you a really good gaming PC these days but $300-400 will get you one that has graphics that are just as good and is easier to use/maintain, along with other features that gaming PCs don't have. I'm talking about an Xbox 360 or PS3. The appeal of these consoles is that you're paying the same amount on games as you would on PC (if you don't pirate software, that is) but the platform itself is significantly cheaper. These casual gamers you're talking about don't care as much about all the other stuff a high-end PC can do or its subtle benefits (like kb/mouse) so consoles are more attractive options.

Hopefully your mind has stopped boggling.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Let's see, this a good enough reason? My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, so while she's recovering from the surgery from that she will be off work, meaning it's up to my brother, my father and I to pay the bills and buy the groceries. Computer parts don't factor into that. Good enough reason for you?

[VaLkyR]Assassin

Kidneythieves and Poets of The Fall Fan
Jan 20, 2008
Blackpool, England, UK
valkyrgaming.com
I'm not going to waste money on getting a new card every year or so; current card is about 18 months old and still doing fine, and was only mid-range when i bought it. This is also far from "cheap", it's still alot of money even though it is great value for money - it'd be great if I was coming round to a new overall upgrade, but I'm not.

I have more important things to use the money for like BILLS and maybe saving up to buy a house one day (although virtually impossible under current crap government). I'm a moderate gamer and play games virtually every day btw.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Yes, I am waiting for the computer parts to drop in price somewhat. After this summer I am thinking about getting a new computer entirely.

Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz, 2GB DDR2 800MHz, GeForce 9600GT 512MB Silent and so on.

In what way was this thread moved by the way? (Source and destination.)

JD2

Jun 19, 2008
Can't afford bread? Let them eat cake!

There is no excuse not to have a great gaming GPU
Unless you plan to buy one for me and everyone else who lacks one of these video cards I suggest you shut the f*ck up.

These days the prices for vid cards that can run UT3 at max visual fidelity are so low that it boggles my mind:
At first it boggled my mind how presumptuously stupid you must be to think that everyone has a couple hundred dollars to spare for a new video card, but then I realized that you are probably some spoiled young punk without a family and other financial burdens whose parents provide his housing, buy his computer hardware, and pay his bills.

Yes, prices have come down significantly for the formerly top-of-the-line video cards as they always do over time. However, they are not yet in financial reach of everyone who wants one, Marie Antoinette.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.