UE3 - General the Devil Behind Canvas Project Need your help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Guesscui

Feb 27, 2008
New_Theme_for_DBC_by_Guesscui.jpg

Hi BU!

I guess some of you still remember me. Had been studying level design with the UCMP team 2 years ago, I was back to do my art. And now I'm back to the game community, with some new ideas.

Here's a series of artworks I've done, the name is "The Devil behind Canvas". As a gamer for more than ten year, I got the original idea from several paintings I've done, I realized that this could be turned into a video game format. So I started to think about the story, and here are some original concept artworks I've done. Basically the story is about a little girl's adventure between the worlds of her father's paintings. There's one big horror story behind this and for now I can't talk more about it and the game would feature a unique "traumatized gameplay". Now I just want to share some of the artworks I've done for the project and get some opinion/comments from people. I don't wanna rush into anything yet since I'm serious about the project but I do need all the help I can get. No matter what part you are interested into the project, please notify me. If you are an artist, please prepare a portfolio, if you are a programmer/coder, please name the previous works that you have done. I would think about the future team format and I appreciate all your attention.

I worked mostly by myself so far but I do have some hands from the community, if it goes well then we may start an actual development in the future. Since it's a project without any investment right now, it'll appear as this game mod first. But the main goal is to make something that really unique and it has its own style, well, for both gameplay and visual.
Anybody who has interest please ps me or send email to
guesscui@msn.com

Thanks in advance!

Guesscui

DBC___New_version_Amy_2_by_Guesscui.jpg

DevilBehindCanvasScreenshot_by_Guesscui.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Guesscui

Feb 27, 2008
This last images was done in UE2 in the early days, it is from the interactive storyboard of the project, I expect better quality with UE3 now. It doesn't show anything about the gameplay yet.

DBC_interactive_storyboard_by_Guesscui.jpg

Peccavi

Jan 20, 2008
The concepts look beyond georgous.

I wish all the best with your modification.
Are you registered at moddb? Looking forward to keeping track of it.

Guesscui

Feb 27, 2008
Thanks to all!

I know it's hard to get people's attention with so little info about the gameplay. Basically you play as Amy, the daughter of the dark artist Edward, who has the ability to change the reality by painting things, what he paint will become real. The special part about this project is the unique level structure. I want to bring player a lively environment, or we can say a living environment. In most shooters or action games, after your enemies are killed, exploring the environment is just a boring task. But here I want to introduce something different, to make players always wondering, by bring you a traumatized system. I want to make the mental health a part of your life. Means that you have to keep your mental health good, or you lose your mind and see things differently, things will move, strange sound will appear, colors will look weird, but at this point, the game could be much harder. The level structure will change during your mental health is low. I think we can totally do it with scripted movers or switching level layouts at a centain time. But it's too hard for me to do it all by my self. I do need a few experienced programmers and some experienced mappers. And I mean serious about the project since it's been in my head for years. If you think this idea may sell and you as a player want to see this result, PLEASE HELP ME, PLEASE! Let other people know about this project! I need all the help I can get, to make it work! And I won't let it die while I know there's still hope.

I'll write a detailed design document soon. If you are interested into the project, no matter which part you want to be in, PLEASE CONTACT ME!

guesscui@msn.com

DBC__Rotten_Garden_by_Guesscui.jpg

Guesscui

Last edited:

Guesscui

Feb 27, 2008
I like the character design and conceptual art here, its pretty much the exact kind of stuff I am into. I can probably do some meshes, like characters models; if you would like.

Thanks Goldfenix! I would like to hear what you can do~ you got msn?

Guesscui

Feb 27, 2008
[SAS]Solid Snake;2095151 said:
Your mental state idea is used in Eternal Darkness, and it worked very well.

Yes I do know about eternal darkness, but I didn't get a chance to play it.
In the Devil behind Canvas there are several states about your mental health, each states will result a different level layout. And when your mental health is falling down, you can see how the level transfers to something different step by step, it would look like a animated environment, and that would create a good tension for the gameplay and the atmosphere~ :)

Guesscui

Feb 27, 2008
Hi there~ a little good news: the CG channel web site has posted up a featured story about the devil behind canvas project on the front page, please check this out: www.cgchannel.com

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
I think there is a link to submit news on the frontpage.

Would offer to help but I won't have the time till late this year.