UE3 - UT3 Chaos needs a coder

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

R.Flagg

Feb 15, 2000
Visit site
Hi folks. Needed to get this out, and didn't really have it in me today to do a big "formal" or fancy post. So I'm just gonna lay it out on the table. While it sucks to say it, the fact is that RealLife has taken a huge toll on our main coder's time lately, and progress has been all but stopped - in the coding department.

What we do have is several active members, currently working. Talented modelers/mappers, a sound guy, a music guy, 16 man server, ventrillo server, private FTP and forums, IRC, ..... and a history.

Experienced coders willing to work on already existing projects/concepts are hard to come by. But we're asking anyway.

There is a boatload of built-up energy and Works-In-Progress, as far as models and characters maps and concept work and so forth. It's just that we've had an unexpected and sudden change in our coding arrangement.

Recent model work includes the Chaos Lord by MacTom (this model is actually in-game already);
http://chaotic.beyondunreal.com/c3_screenshots/art/chaoslord_promo1.jpg
http://chaotic.beyondunreal.com/c3_screenshots/ChaosLord_menu1.jpg

The Proxy Mine by BitterPill;
http://chaotic.beyondunreal.com/c3_screenshots/proxydisplay.jpg

We also have other models in progress, such as the Anti-Gravity Belt, and a Gravity Vortex Launcher. And there's more stuff going on in and around Chaos as well.

Guess this may not be the kind of post I ask hal to quote on the front page, or mass email to gaming sites, as folks might expect something a little more involved and formatted and yadda. I suppose I can work on that. But again, I just wanted to get the info out in the 'open'.

There is still a team at Chaotic Dreams, and we would very much like to continue what we've started. Our goal is to still release projects for UT3 (perhaps for UT3 PS3 as well). But we need help. Somebody who is capable of coding weapons and game types.

Serious and non-serious replies to this thread are just fine. This was intended as a pretty casual post. Just please pass the word if you know somebody who might be interested.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

R.Flagg

Feb 15, 2000
Visit site
This is an update/reminder.

Even though we haven't yet been succesful in our search for a new lead coder, we have not given up. To this day, there are still items being created for Chaos in UT3. We have maps, models (with animation), music, custom game type design docs, plans for PC and PS3, and talented folks who just don't wanna quit.

If we can persuade a talented coder to join our team, we feel there is still great potential for a UT3 version of Chaos.

Keep in mind we have no intention of simply copying the last version of Chaos. Sure, we'd like to bring over a few of our better known items (much like UT retains a lot of itself through each version), but at the same time we are very much interested in brand new concepts to keep things fresh.

And if a talented coder were to join up with us, they would be in good company. Some of the most active talent recently, that is still committed to seeing this version of Chaos come alive;

MacTom - he has created items for Chaos III already (plenty of pics on our site, including the Vortex Launcher, and the Chaos Lord), but has also recently released these Liandri Bots: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=612576

BitterPill - Bitter has done a lot for Chaos (including the Proxy Mine model seen on our site), but has also created some great player models as well, like this hella neat looking guy: (craptastic, I have misplaced the link at this moment, will edit it in soon)

Hammerman - is currently banging away on at least 3 or 4 different alpha/beta maps for Chaos III (they are as yet unfinished, but pics of his CUT2 VCTF map SubMagma serve as just one example of his previous work)

MonsOlympus - one of those determined folks, who when faced with the lack of a coder for his mods, decided to take it upon himself. A mindset you just can't help but respect. We really need to find him some help though in order for Chaos to realize it's full potential, it's just too much for one guy. He is not only helping Chaos get off the ground by working our our Anti-Grav Belt and our grapple, but is also releasing these 'Newtators': http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=587881

And that's not all. We have DeadxAtxThexScene creating some great music tracks, we have our newest member Menderis, who is creating models for GravBelt, grappling hook, and the Chaos Spectator Camera (a feature Chaos hasn't seen since Q2).

Our 'movie guy' just got hired to do that for a living though, so we may have lost him, I'm not sure yet (congrats Zach!). And there's more help floating about too, awaiting the time when their services can be put to full use (ie: when we find a lead coder). Including more animation help, and custom sounds.

So sure, we are well aware of the odds against us at this point. It's not easy to find an experienced coder willing to work on an existing 'IP', for a 'dead' game. But so be it. This is what we want to do, and we're just not giving up. Millions of online players or not, contests or not, ... it just doesn't matter. We just wanna make Chaos.

If you are an experienced coder and are interested, we're serious about having fun and making a quality mod. I think the fact that we continue to produce content at this point in the game, even without a lead coder, shows that we are dedicated to seeing it through to completion. If we are lucky enough to find coding help, they can rest assured we are not going to abandon this project. And more projects after this one.

Thanks for reading.

http://chaotic.beyondunreal.com/

Last edited: