So, I've been working on a game ...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com

Yep. Pine Hollow borrows quite a few ideas from Project Zomboid.

Speaking of, we've halted development of the game right now. It's a promising project (especially with all of the mutants and such we were working on) but we decided that it will take a much larger team to make this game properly. In the meantime we're going to work on and release some simpler projects.

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
After a lot of downtime (and some new help) work has finally resumed on Pine Hollow!

Today I rewrote the entire GUI and the inventory system is almost finished. After that we need to get the equip and crafting systems working. I have also been working on new 3D assets so we can toss in some more monsters and a lot of new environmental content; I've already finished the new models for a few handguns.

Unfortunately, multiplayer has been cut for now. I really want to do it but it's an insane amount of extra work that I simply can't do alone. If I have the right kind of help in the future MP might make a comeback.

The first public alpha build should be ready in a couple of months!

1ay0yvK.jpg

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Today I added per-pixel lighting (meaning all lights can cast shadows now) and death ragdolls. I practically rewrote camera system for a perspective camera along with new indoor/outdoor transitions that aren't nearly as annoying to the user. In fact, I think they're quite nice. Anyways here's a screenshot:

Of4TxQ7.jpg

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Looks cool. If you have that as a background with some sounds it would certainly be engaging.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Here's a thought: maybe you could have some maps with a mission. Like a mission to find a weapon or a car to get to the next map.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Looks cool. If you have that as a background with some sounds it would certainly be engaging.

Currently there's just the wind, but it works well :D

Here's a thought: maybe you could have some maps with a mission. Like a mission to find a weapon or a car to get to the next map.

It's going to be an open world with missions and set goals; it's just not time to start putting that stuff in yet.

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
It's update time again.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been primarily focused on marketing research for our upcoming release and crowdfunding campaign. However, over the past two days I was still able to squeeze in some improvements. I've tweaked lighting and the existing post-process FX extensively, added SSAO, and a ton of new 3D assets (mostly furniture and decoration objects.) Some of the assets are mine, most of them came from Open Game Art. Once I have a proper art team we'll roll our own assets, but for now these work nicely. I also regenerated normal maps for nearly every texture in the project; they're much more defined now.

8v9jbDh.jpg

M2wnplL.jpg

ZDNVNd9.jpg

viDIoaK.jpg

The SSAO shader adds a ton of depth to the world, but especially the grass. Here's a comparison (off, then on.)

HG9H2dZ.jpg

Bo0nyWE.jpg

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
So yeah, it's been a long time since I've updated this thread. The project isn't dead, I've just had a lot of other stuff going on so it's been shelved for the past six months. With the release of Unity 5, and some life stuff finally stabilizing, I'm finally ready to continue. The project has been updated to Unity 5 and all the resulting bugs from that transition have been squashed, so it's more-or-less in the same state as before.

11025904_10155361768755381_904499827937021909_o.jpg

The scope of the original concept (a large open world with lots of missions, voiced NPCs, crafting, etc. etc.) has proved to be a massive undertaking, far too much for one guy/a handful of guys to execute. Starting now, the focus will be on developing a defend-your-base game on a much smaller scale than originally called for. The player's main goal will be to survive for a set period of time, say 45 days, until the military can get around to providing evac.

You'll be tasked with holding and defending your position (your cabin/compound way out in the woods, but sadly locked within the anomalous region) from the mutant hordes. During the day (when the hordes are less aggressive) you'll be able to scavenge the surrounding countryside (a much smaller world than originally planned) for basic resources like food, water, and medical supplies, as well as building supplies for fortifications and repairs. You'll also be able to evac/rescue NPC refugees who are camping in the wilderness, a few with skills you can leverage to unlock better upgrades for your compound. You will also need to manage food and water supply/production to support your growing population.

Missions will be handed to the player via radio and NPCs you'll encounter in the world. The government may also communicate with you via radio to warn of an approaching boss monster, or to provide intel on supply drops or suspected refugee locations.

There's a lot of work to get there, but this is doable. See you guys in a few weeks.

Reactions: -Jes- and Big-Al

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Looks awesomesauce! I'm probably gonna get back into that hobby once my new shiny rig is built! I've been doing some bits with C# and probably SOME C++, but mainly C# (which is the language that OTHER engine that begins with the letter U uses). All in all, looks great.

Reactions: Big-Al

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Looks awesomesauce! I'm probably gonna get back into that hobby once my new shiny rig is built! I've been doing some bits with C# and probably SOME C++, but mainly C# (which is the language that OTHER engine that begins with the letter U uses). All in all, looks great.

Thanks man! I'm also waiting on parts, once I build my new workstation work will resume.

We should make something sometime :D

Reactions: Big-Al