Puff Puff Pass

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should the sniper have a puff of smoke.

• yes

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • no

Votes: 28 70.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Back on Topic.

Yeah, hal kinda paraphrased what I was saying earlier, in that it hopefully won't matter, it will be a new and different weapon even if by the same name.

Yeah, it not being exploitable can kinda hurt newbs, but that is something far easier to learn, because it is in you hands. You figure that out first hand. The easiest way to learn "where you're getting shot from" in similar circumstances is second hand, being told, or spectating. Something some people don't have the luxury of doing, or knowing how to do.

Again though, it prolly won't matter.

Plasma climbing is classed under weapon propulsion, as would be team rail/shock pushing, or other fun stuff like that, not just rocket/shield jumping etc.

fresh&minty said:
Wow, you obviously were never any good at quake. What about single beat, double beat, and half beat strafe jumps to build momentum...

No, I didn't even get to the point of finding competative servers in Quake because I am an Unreal Fanboi. I appreciate quake, and don't hate it like other "unreal fanboi's", and still like it as a change of pace, and played it many a LAN. I'm good at it in terms of carry'd over general FPS skills, IE: I did fine on pubs, but no, never really got into the finer points of quake.

I am however familiar with the engine, and if xBeat strafe jumps, refer to the exploitation of how friction is handled with certain timed jumps, and carried momentum, then as I said before, I veiw that as a bug. It's not something Id intended as a "feature of the game", even if they later embraced it. Hence, am not counting that in my assessment of movement from game to game. The same "problem" was experienced in HL (a very similar engine), and patched out.

If it's something other then that, then I'd love to hear about it, a link to a manual, or something, unless my now knowing as much as you has some bearing on how you feel about yourself ;)

fresh&minty

lollerbater
Mar 30, 2005
I'm roughly talking about the same trick/exploit (depending entirely on how you view it, and I am probably talking about it in a more advanced perspective), and as for half life, it was based on the quake2 engine and as such inherented the trick.

I don't mind sharing knowledge at all, I think it helps.

http://www.trickingq3.com/frames.html

read up, if you have the game instaled you can even run the demos :)

EDIT just saw this now

3) If you're so good, come play at FragBU.

WTF is that, a tournament?, and if so what clans and what rules.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
FragBU isn't a tournament. It's just a friendly get together game that we do every Friday and Saturday on our Viper server. You can check the weekly thread in the UT2004 forum if you're interested.

By no means is it a "pro" event. In fact, there are a lot of newer players and higher-pinging Euro players alongside our regulars.

I'm not sure what he meant by that. :eek:

Stilz

Mar 31, 2005
Parser said:
Hay guys, don't forget that people like these amazingly talented spotty teenagers own the entire world and that we are their righteous slaves in every respect because they're obviously elite by posting on a PRO FORUM. HURR.

If a teenager is 24... i guess im just that.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Back to the original argument ? Ok ?

// --
Right .. my two euro-cents as a total n00b like some would say.

The sniperrifle-class of weapons are supposed to be used as long range (near) insta-gib weapons. Any other damage-level makes them useless.

They need the extreme slow weapon-switch time and RoF to create the 'oh **** I missed'-feel such a weapon requires. This also would allow anyone catching the sniper from behind to do some damage before he manages to switch/reload. Another advantage is that it removes the sniperrifle from the list of weapons that can be used succesfully at short/medium-ranges. Again this is something an experienced player ought to know already. For anyone else it's a short and bloody lesson in the proper use of weapons.

Also consider the fact that without the slow switch the sniperrifle-class essentially acts like a free scope for any weapon. Something that allows weapons to be accurate at distances far beyond their original design-parameters.

Given the range of this weapon some type of shot-location-indicator is needed so the newbie targets at least know they were hit by a valid weapon instead of someone using cheats.
It won't do anything for the players that know how to play as a sniper.
It will remind the newbie players using this weapon that their target may be aware of their location and they should be considering a retreat (like a real 'sniper' should).

Last but certainly not least :
If the 'goal' of the game is supposed to be 'in-your-face' combat ... then the sniperrifle-class is the first weapon that should be removed, because it is anything but 'in-your-face'.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
No, it's a party and only cool people are invited ;)

Stilz

Mar 31, 2005
JaFO said:
Back to the original argument ? Ok ?

// --
Right .. my two euro-cents as a total n00b like some would say.

The sniperrifle-class of weapons are supposed to be used as long range (near) insta-gib weapons. Any other damage-level makes them useless.

They need the extreme slow weapon-switch time and RoF to create the 'oh **** I missed'-feel such a weapon requires. This also would allow anyone catching the sniper from behind to do some damage before he manages to switch/reload. Another advantage is that it removes the sniperrifle from the list of weapons that can be used succesfully at short/medium-ranges. Again this is something an experienced player ought to know already. For anyone else it's a short and bloody lesson in the proper use of weapons.

Also consider the fact that without the slow switch the sniperrifle-class essentially acts like a free scope for any weapon. Something that allows weapons to be accurate at distances far beyond their original design-parameters.

Given the range of this weapon some type of shot-location-indicator is needed so the newbie targets at least know they were hit by a valid weapon instead of someone using cheats.
It won't do anything for the players that know how to play as a sniper.
It will remind the newbie players using this weapon that their target may be aware of their location and they should be considering a retreat (like a real 'sniper' should).

Last but certainly not least :
If the 'goal' of the game is supposed to be 'in-your-face' combat ... then the sniperrifle-class is the first weapon that should be removed, because it is anything but 'in-your-face'.

GB2INA

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Stilz said:
I'm sorry sir, but English isn't my native language so I don't understand all these abbreviations.
Would you care to explain how that expression is supposed to be an argument ?
Or are you unable to find any decent counter to my arguments and must therefor resort to namecalling & insults ?

Symbolikal

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Jul 30, 2004
In britain in a small town.
Stilz said:
Another example of the dim-witted pro. Just because you can mop the floor with a pub doesn't mean you know it all or can force your opinion down the throats of others. I don't know why RO's haven't flown around the place yet. As hal explained, flaming isn't tolerated here.
Getting back to the argument on hand, I think Epic should just leave the LtG in.

Stilz

Mar 31, 2005
hey buddy, i dont mean to flame, but his points were retarded sorry. im not a pro so dont dub me one. sure im decent at the game, but im not pro by any means.

id like for the lg to stay in, but you know epic is to stubborn and is stuck on their ways. i was rather just saying for the sniper rifle to not have the smoke and for it to do to 70 damage instead of 60 which is what sniper does in 2k4.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I'm not really defending Stilz, but he could probably face six or seven guys at fragbu at once in a 1 v 6/7 tdm and still win by 30+. If some people here have trouble fragging me, Stilz is like, 12 of me. :D

The whole gb2ina attitude is quite infantile, but that's the attitude of prounrealers. Apparently playing games and being good at them is why they can talk like that. D:

fresh&minty

lollerbater
Mar 30, 2005
The Jackal-XMP said:
Ive been thinking the same thing. All these noobs. It's like a noob infestation.
Yes... good players concerned about the outcome of a new game must be noobs. I see xmp in your sig, did your quality beta input help that game become the shimmering gem of a huge massive failure it was :lol: Let's all listen your advice because it obviously works.

Just because a person is arguementative doesn't invalidate thier points, on the same note, just because somebody says something in a nice way, doesn't mean they aren't a total idiot.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
fresh&minty said:
Yes... good players concerned about the outcome of a new game must be noobs. I see xmp in your sig, did your quality beta input help that game become the shimmering gem of a huge massive failure it was :lol: Let's all listen your advice because it obviously works.
Then show your concern FOR THE GAME and leave the people and their opinions out of it. I see you attempting to mock XMP. Way to go, you can mock a game that is leaps and bounds beyond anything available right now tactically.
Just because a person is arguementative doesn't invalidate thier points, on the same note, just because somebody says something in a nice way, doesn't mean they aren't a total idiot.
People are more likely to listen/side with a nice person than an argumentative person, regardless of how accurate their points are.

Status
Not open for further replies.