Which videocard?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SHRED

Skilled
Nov 30, 1999
My friend is buying a new system (PIII 600).
Which videocard should I reccomend?
32 bit?

thanks

Voyd-

Nov 24, 1999
Visit site
by new system do you mean a whole new computer, or hes just upgrading his processor?

if its a whole new system a GeForce would probly be nice since hes already spending lots of money on a high end computer. might as well go all the way.

phishedNET

With a high end computer like that I would definitely recommend the GeForce. If all else fails, go with a TNT2.

Voodoo3 is good, but best on slower machines.

bullet2.gif

[PuF]Rezz
Quasimodo's Lair
overshadowed by assertion makes me certain - skinny puppy

Mr Z

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
Well find out what the system comes with first, you never know that video card might be adequate enough for the time being. I am a little weary on the current video cards that are out right now, being that the next generation should really be awesome. I would wait if you possibly can. The geforce is the best card right now only because it is the fastest card and it looks good, the T&L won't do much until we get games that really utilize it. By that time the next gen cards will be out and they will kick mucho a$$!

SHRED

Skilled
Nov 30, 1999
He's getting a whole NEW sys. They want to include an Annihilator as his card.

Dlitz

Jul 23, 1999
dlitz.webprovider.com
That would be the card. It's 3d-Blaster's version of the Geforce. I had one, but my computer didn't have an AGP slot so I had to go with the Voodoo3 PCI. But I used the extra $$to get UT...

bullet2.gif

Dlitz
I never felt so alive! ZZZzzz...

banko

Jan 29, 2000
Visit site
if he wants to to play UT the best combo is a Annihilator and a Voodoo2 PCI fro 3dfx glide support since UT is best with glide /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Why spend $300 on a video card like the GeForce to play UT at 800x600 on a $50 Voodoo2? If you get the GeForce forget the V2 as the GeForce will still be faster in UT using D3D than the V2 will be in Glide and it will look so much better. I would recommend a cheap V3 2000 AGP now and upgrade down the road. The V3 2k can be had for $75 and UT runs and looks awesome on it. In 4-6 months the V5 will be the card of choice for UT and he could upgrade then.

He should have gone the Athlon route. For the price of that 600 he could have got an Athlon 700.