changing the camera

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RI_maniac

Bringer of War
Oct 18, 2000
USA
www.maniac9.com
Anybody know if it is possible to get into the code and change where the third person view camera is in Unreal? For Example, switching to around the side of the player, or angling it up somewhat? Any ideas would be appreciated.

BitBasher

Quantum Singularity
Mar 24, 2001
The Void
www.user.dccnet.com
I know where you can look. First of all, I am NOT a UnrealScript kinda-guy --- I just play one in my dreams! :)

Anyways, if you look into the script PlayerPawn.uc, find the function, "CalcBehindView". This function is called from pretty much everywhere a behindview is needed. The function takes as arguments, your current camera "which is probably your eyes", your rotation (probably your orientation in space), and a distance to "pull back".

It might be possible to modify this function to add addition behindview functionality, but that is beyond the scope of my brain.

If you haven't exported all the script source files, you can find this script in the editor -- goto the Actor Class Browser and drill down the tree to Actor.Pawn.PlayerPawn, and then double-click it to bring up the script's source code. From there you can search for the CalcBehindView function. In my copy of UED2, when you search for something in the script source viewer, it doesn't bother to SCROLL to what it found, it just highlights your search results SOMEWHERE deep in the code - you have to manually scroll down to find it, or export the script to a REAL editor! :)

Hope this helps a bit,
BB.