UTLive or Unreal Tournament 4

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT99Live or Unreal Tournament 4

• Total voters

boogler

Banned
Jun 4, 2008
What would you guys rather see, a unreal version like the very successful quakelive www.quakelive.com, or another Unreal tournament?

The UTlive would be based on unreal tournament 99 with a few upgrades since the engine can basically be played on any pc or laptop nowadays.

\o/

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I would love to see both, personally :) I think Epic would be wise to make something like Quake Live, though, or just release UT for free.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
One would likely take away from the other's player base, so Epic wouldn't do both. Also, they couldn't pimp their engine so they wouldn't do UTLive. But since Average Joe couldn't run UT4 it wouldn't sell too well.

Dilemma!

boogler

Banned
Jun 4, 2008
Non of the above. If we have to stick withing the Unreal universe I'd rather have a true sequel to Unreal.

How would that be wise? It doesn't make them any money.

Umm yes it does. The amount of advertisements that go on from various companies in quakelive is incredible. They not only gain money value from the advertising but also player interest that would see what epic has to offer and would be interested in what else they have up their sleaves. On any given day I can load up Qlive on ANY pc I feel like and play the game. Connect to various servers that are always FULL and sometimes have to hit the server browser refresh button mutliple times just so I can find space for me to get into the action. That type of annoyance was lost in the Unreal series a very long time ago. With UTlive piracy is non-existant.

Well will see how Qlive effects the sales of ID's future retail games. With the ammount of community support and advertising that goes on in Qlive, I'm pretty sure the money will be something to look forward to. :D

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Umm yes it does. The amount of advertisements that go on from various companies in quakelive is incredible. They not only gain money value from the advertising but also player interest that would see what epic has to offer and would be interested in what else they have up their sleaves.
Really? can you show me the numbers or are you just making them up. As far as I can see QuakeLive isn't even released yet, so how can you even say its successful or profitable.
And how well would you think UTlive would do when they have to compete with QuakeLive, BattleField Hero's, etc.

On any given day I can load up Qlive on ANY pc I feel like and play the game.
No you can't. You to have the rights to install software on the PC you use.

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Actually, to be pretty honest, I enjoyed playing Unreal2. I will admit that it was not as atmospheric as Unreal but it was perfectly fine game.:)

Yes, Unreal 2 was nice, but it wasn't Unreal 1+1 :) Besides the Skaarj there was not much that linked both games. Then again... Unreal 1 was just about Skaarj, Nali and a large unknown world to explore. I think it's mainly the latter that doesn't make Unreal 2 a true sequel to Unreal 1.

hmm... maybe I should install both games again...

Last edited:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I voted for UT99-Live.

First they could attract new players to the Unreal franchise while also hooking them in by offering the best of the UT games (and the greatest online multiplayer FPS of all time).

Then--after they've reestablished the UT franchise and increased the size of their fanbase--then they could release a UT4 that was a real, bona-fide UT99-2 but in a pristine, fully polished condition with an excellent user interface and server browser.

boogler

Banned
Jun 4, 2008
elmuerte yes I can install Qlive on any PC I want to by just asking the PC owner lmao. There is no "rights" I have to agree with from ID. All I have to do is login into my account, do a quick install, and I am good to go. And no the numbers are not wrong, there are more people in the Qlive B E T A than there was in UT3 during it's PEAK of online competition. This is just the B E T A version of the game and the official release will be coming soon. When that happens, I wonder what will happen when you realize that you are creating webadmin for a series that absolutely NO ONE will be playing. :lol:

Unreal Tournament 99 and Quake 3 came out roughly at the same time. Both made huge strides in the FPS genre and are still arguebly the best games Unreal and ID has ever made. ID knows what the people want. Why can't epic realize this also?

UTLive>QuakeLive but that will never happen since ID>Epic unfortunantely :mad:

Last edited:

boogler

Banned
Jun 4, 2008
I voted for UT99-Live.

First they could attract new players to the Unreal franchise while also hooking them in by offering the best of the UT games (and the greatest online multiplayer FPS of all time).

Then--after they've reestablished the UT franchise and increased the size of their fanbase--then they could release a UT4 that was a real, bona-fide UT99-2 but in a pristine, fully polished condition with an excellent user interface and server browser.

That is the best way to return UT to the forefront of PC gaming again. Not by shelling out another UT that runs of machines that the average joe can't afford to play or buy.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
That's something I call "beta envy"
Quite some people think being in a beta program makes you cool. And like any "gratis" game it will get quite some attention in the beginning. But after a while it'll deteriorate. Or lat least, that's what I observed from various other similar projects.