maps from orginal UT are better

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

kivi GF

Jun 17, 2001
poland
www.gfragers.republika.pl
Have you seen that people like better maps from orginal UT than
maps have been made by fans. In UT we have only 50maps and fans made milions maps. why don`t play on that maps but on the orginla maps because the second one are better

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
Who says that people like the originals better? The originals are played more because most people don't download user made maps, but that doesn't mean they are better.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
You are right about that. When talking ctf the most common map seems to be Face :(
I wish there where more good servers running custom maps.

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
Originally posted by Swedix|PuF

I wish there where more good servers running custom maps.
Indeed! Maps like CTF-NabooGen and Station BTS deserve to be out there, and playing other humans helps one realize a map's full potential.

Speaking of maps...I found another beautiful one last night called CTF-Area 52.
If anyone likes tech maps and the A L I E N S movie, get this one! It looks very nice.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
You are very wrong there.

Why do you think only because 50% of all severs run Face or some other standard maps, that they are better? Most admins are morons who don't know who to set up a server or don't care for it. And many people don't want to download much stuff.

But the Jolt or BW leagues play lots of custom maps like Terra (which is pretty much standard), McSwartzly, Lucius or Ranel

Last edited:

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
Some customs have become pretty common. A lot of CTF servers are running Bollwerk, Lucius, Terra and Orbital. Those maps are very popular picks in Clan matches too. Hell, Orbital is the default tiebreaker for teamplay.

And noone can deny the popularity of Thorns.

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
8-4-2-7 snuck his post in before mine. :)

I forgot Mcswartzly and Ranel. :eek: There are other custom maps that have become almost "standard" by now. I'm just thinking off the top of my head here.

|pOt|fArMeRx

3rd degree CD burns
Jun 12, 2001
canada eh
http
what about DM maps.... most of the user made's being run on DM servers are the giant maps

and if you go into a server and spec someone who is in the top 20 in ngworld stats, they have REALLY good fast aiming skillz

but then when a map like Turbine or Tempest comes around, those guys do ****ty

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
I think he was asking why do we play on the original maps when there are so many nice custom maps out there. The answer is simple. It's not cause the originals are better so to speak, it's because people have to DOWNLOAD them. Alot of players are still on 56k and then there's lazy cable users like me who just don't feel like waiting the 45 seconds it takes to download a map :D.

Aug 7, 2000
And there are a lot of people who don't want to play maps they don't know.....I usually practice on the BW servers and the server is filled with very skilled players. Then a custom map comes up (like November CE) and ppl quit,about 2-3 remain......
Then you have to play a game with 3 other ppl (who often also quit because it's no fun playing 2v2)
Then the map ended and we get another standard map,and within a minute the server is full again...

That always happens to me...

I like custom maps a lot :) I also seem to do better on them compared to other players.....

-Revenant

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
I love custom maps too. There are SO many good ones out there. But I see the same things you do. People quit when one comes up. I don't get it. They say they don't like the map cause they don't know where anything is. NO SH1T. That's the whole point, it's NEW. Good example is CTF-Darji-16. Everyone hated this map cause it's "soooo confusing". It's really not, its just a little twisty. But no more than CTF-Coret. Once you learn a map it's easy(any map). You just have to PLAY it.

My favorite excuse was on CTF-High. I don't know if you've played this but it was just two twin skyscrapers. Very simple design. Each building had like 3 levels to it and a very high roof level. People would constantly complain that they didn't know where to go. Even though one building was BLUE and one was RED. Just pathetic. :rolleyes: Oh well, you can't please everyone all the time...

Cryognosis

might never have a icon
Aug 2, 2001
are you serious?!
the first time i played the map i didn't know where everything is but i knew where the flags were!!!they probebly looked in the bottom/middle floors for the flags and gave up because they were idiots

Cablebait

May 23, 2001
canada
Visit site
8472 hit it exactly on the nose...its the no brainer server admins that aint got a clue.one other point however is that lots of peeps are so skilled in the ut maps they enjoy winning over more variety.Even with my 56k i would d/l some maps if i knew the server would run them for awhile [1 mnth minumum]and use some good game settings[no amp.deemer,invis]..however they use maps for one day then change them,and have 6-10 bots on the servers<<blah.. grrrr.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
What we need is a forum for server admins to advertise the maps lists they are using and ask what maps people would like to see. See my thread in the Planet Unreal forum "How about a server forum?". If you think this is a good idea, post a reply to let the PU admins know.

Most servers won't put up custom maps because not enough people will join. On the other hand, many players won't download maps because most servers don't run them. We need a place to come together on this.