Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
AMD quad core(3GHz) and a GTX 460
I can easily hold 60fps on most detail settings, but the slideshows become less frequent if I turn details down
Annoys the shit out of me...

Like I said, it's been brought to HiRez's attention dozens of times but they haven't done shit to fix it

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Oh I get it now. It's one of their shitty pre-requisite that messed with my GPU. It now stays at 43C on Mass Effect 3 and I get noticable lag even in menus as well, just like Tribes.

EDIT: Okay so, with all that in mind, I have been putting my computer in sleep mode for 2-3 days, a reset really did fix the problems in Mass effect 3.
I did however nuke everything related to Tribe in a desperate attempt to bring my fully operational GPU. :>

BTW I was derpy enough to think the tank-like vehicle morphed into a Striker last night, so there you had me trying all the possible keys on the keyboard, I hit G, my character exits the tank, the gunner takes first seat, I'm like, whatev's, I was getting bored anyway. *puts last 3000k on another tank and go get raped in enemy base, leave the game*

I only wanted to play Jugg after I tried all the classes.

Last edited:

Zer0

Jan 19, 2008
I'm running out of energy all the time since the game was "released" I don't know if they changed things or if I just suck all of a sudden.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
1- I've decided to start playing after the major FPS issues were solved, but now I have another one, at least it concerns me quite much.

You see, the game uses about 30% of my GPU, yet my GPU temps barely reach 70C. That's not usual, unless I'm playing BF3 or something, on my native Desktop resolution, and BF3 uses 100% GPU at most.

So I've tried to limit the FPS to 60, use Vsync on and off, Framerate Smoothing on and off, nothing worked. The game runs fine and everything, but why does it uses 30% of my GPU and it gives it so much heat?

2- Also. Shrikes, can you steer other than the mouse? I've been flying the thing around with the mouse sensitivity cap, I was under the impression that you can steer it using the keyboard.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Right, but why would my GPU go up to 75C while playing a such simple game? I get 70C from BF3, and that game has much more to say to my GPU.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Started playing yesterday, not gotten too far just yet. Came second in my first game, then didn't do so well thereafter.

Alias is 'ambershee' as always if you want to friend it up.

I'm running it on a 9800GT on max settings (720p), and it's smooth sailing on 60fps :p

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
So I've tried to limit the FPS to 60, use Vsync on and off, Framerate Smoothing on and off, nothing worked. The game runs fine and everything, but why does it uses 30% of my GPU and it gives it so much heat?
I'm going to get picky with your use of "giving so much heat" in hopes it helps you understand better:

A) 100% usage, 60% fan speed, 70 degrees
B) 30% usage, 40% fan speed, 70 degrees

Example A is giving off FAR more heat and would heat a small room far faster than example B, despite the temperatures feeling the same to touch. The card is doing far more work, drawing far more power and therefor has far more energy to disperse.

And so...

Right, but why would my GPU go up to 75C while playing a such simple game? I get 70C from BF3, and that game has much more to say to my GPU.
...fan controllers target a margin in temperatures. It doesn't matter how much load your GPU is under, the fan speed is just going to adjust to keep the temperature within a variable threshold. The whole point is so the cards fan is only spinning as fast (and more importantly, as loud) as it has to be.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Fan speed is set to 64% at all times in all my games. It's static. I'm not kidding when I say this game produces more heat than it should.

I'll refer to the things people said about the latest patch being troublesome for some user's GPUs. At least for now.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I've seen that the Jackal had a similar background story - the weapon was new; it's better than all the other guns.

I think the plasma gun could seriously do without the AOE. There's absolutely no need for that.
BTW what's your username in T:A?

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Plasma gun in previous tribes did have AOE effect, but I'm not sure if it was so easy to use. It could do with less ammunition, that's for damn sure. 5 in the magazine and 25 in reserve. It's just too easy to mid-air with the thing. I had 9 midairs an earlier game.