Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
It's a problem with both Tartarus and Raindance (and to a lesser extent Crossfire) - the problem is pretty simple and breaks what is IMHO a fundamental rule of level design.

Each of these generators has only one route to it; in the case of Tartarus and Crossfire the structures have two entrances, but the generator is still housed at a dead end. When heavily entrenched, it can become pretty impossible to get at it. Bella Omega was removed for the same reason, but it doesn't looked like the development team has learned.

Katabatic and Sunstar both have great generator room layouts - note how they never get camped in except by dedicated generator defenders, and even that is occassional, However, both design still present space for one player to prevent access using motion sensors, shields, mines or turrets (or any combination).

Edit: I both agree and disagree with the article, but it does highlight some of the problems. A large part of the rest of it is rant.

I'm thinking a ladder set of servers for CTF and a non-ladder may work well; Halo 3 was a moderate example of this, with ranked and unranked TDM.

Last edited:

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
New patch is out

Details in link below
http://www.egmnow.com/tribesascend/tribes-ascend-update-6-stonehenge-version-1-0-1016/

Tribes Ascend Version 1.0.1016 is expected to be deployed on Friday, June 22. The servers will be down for several hours while the patch is deployed. Below are the preliminary patch notes.
Major Highlights

Added support for “lock to player view” while spectating players. This allows you to see what the spectated player target sees. Press ‘L’ by default to lock the view to the player’s viewpoint. Mousewheel in for a first-person perspective.
A new TDM map has been added to the list of maps in the Quick Play rotation. (Miasma)
A new CTF map has been added to the list of maps available to play on Custom Servers. Stonehenge is a remap of a classic Tribes map. The map is currently in a “beta” state and will be added to the Quick Play rotation after it goes through testing on Custom Servers.

Weapon/Balance Items

The Pathfinder’s Light Assault Rifle will now fire bursts from just holding down the fire button, rather than having to repress the fire button for each burst.
Increased Rage Perk activation radius by 50%.
Decreased effect radius of Raider’s Whiteout grenade by roughly 8%.
Decreased damage on Shrike Rockets by 22%.
Increased Shrike Rocket damage to armored targets (ex. base turrets, beowulfs) by 30%.
Decreased damage on Technician’s Rockwind SMG by roughly 8%
Slightly increased the distance from the reticule required for the Spotted command to work.
Increased the distance Raider’s EMP grenades can be thrown to match most other grenades.
Decreased explosion radius on Pathfinder’s Compact Nitrons by 13%.
The Phase Rifle’s downscope reticule has been tweaked and crosshairs added.

Raindance: A new route has been added into the generator room.

Additional Items

With the help of community feedback, we have reworked some of the mechanics of the emergent gameplay of “rock-bouncing.” The mechanic is more lenient than the last major patch:
Bouncing off a rock at an extreme angle is possible again, but the player will lose some of their speed.
The “grace angle” for a bounce that loses no speed has been widened
We will continue to adjust this feature as needed.
FIxed an issue where some Accolades were not being awarded with some of the new variant weapons.
Fixed an issue where the Determination Perk was not applying its health boost correctly.
Fixed a situation where XP was not being given if the player had left the match early.
Fixed an issue where a player could zoom and fire with weapons that don’t allow zooming while firing by holding down zoom through a reload sequence.
Fixed bug where the Raider’s NJ5 Reload and Retrieve sounds were not playing.
Fixed bug where the Infiltrator’s Remote Arx Buster Reload and Retrieve sounds were not playing.
Tartarus High intensity music added.
Fixed an issue where the Rage Perk would sometimes not apply when it should have.
Fixed an issue where Technician’s Long Range Repair tool was repairing vehicles too quickly.
Fixed an issue where rapid projectile fire wasn’t replicating to a spectator viewing the player who was firing.
Fixed an issue on Deal of the Day that was incorrectly showing an XP tag.
Fixed an issue with the Twitch streams that was causing not all of the active players to be shown.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Downloading the game right now. A Co-Worker of mine has been playing Tribes since the first, and won't shut up about this one, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Well I played a bit of it yesterday. Got my status up to level 5 or 6. So far, I'm enjoying the Soldier a lot. Been playing mostly TDM, and adding the flag holding is pretty cool. It's gotta be my favorite thing in TDM, just holding the flag and skiing through the maps.

So far, so good!

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Every game resumed in a jpg.

oqJ3W.jpg

They scream "Rank doesn't have to do with skill."; I add "Playtime has to do with knowledge."

I am on and off about Tribes, and the only reason of that is the team balance, do something about it, Hirez. Even if it has to split the community, those who desires rank-based teams should have the privilege.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I played a game at lunch time today with what were obviously six players who've been playing from the start, stacked onto one team and were communicating using VOIP.

Six top-level infiltrators with jackals - it was painful to play.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
In one of the key-features listed on Steam:

Don’t Fight Alone: Friend-list allows you to link up with others and establish supremacy online.

Establish VOIP teamstack supremacy online?

Are you fucking kidding me? :)

"Swat team vs Random pubs is where it's at man"
-Hirez

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I'd mind less if it wasn't a daily occurance and there were more than about two servers (in the aforementioned game, we were playing CTF, they were playing 'don't let the enemy team leave the spawn points').

Today I had to contend with 'spawn point disco rave party', which I must admit is creative. It involves putting Brutes on each spawn point and dropping fractals on them constantly (need to call down inventory station for it to work) -on Crossfire it's a nightmare!

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Just load up on landmines, force fields, and some good old fashioned HoF splattering. A back to front run should be pretty easy to stop. Plus the field will be a lot more condensed with enemy fire. You gotta think about what happens when the player count goes up. More chaos, more discs, more rockets, and more grenades flying through the air. Not to mention if you do choose to use nitrons and spinfusors to get going that fast, you only need take a few stray rounds to die. Theoretically, you could do a flag to flag run in 5 seconds, but it's extremely risky trying to do it like that. You might also encounter llama grabbers or brute grabbers. Games might not go so quickly.

Last edited:

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Cleaver way of Skiing. You gotta admit, that was pretty impressive.

Anywho, I can't wait until Hi-Rez releases the UED. Huge Terrain maps? Yes please! They said that they want to build a community first, but I think mod-ability would help create the community they are looking for.

Last edited: