Dreamcast maps?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
I'm still working on it when I time allows me to. The work that's now going into this mappack consists right now teaching myself 3ds Max so I can do a proper remake of Canyon Fear, and time spent in UnrealEd itself goes to technically improving the other maps where possible.

I also tried to modify existing maps to match them the way they are in the PS2 version, but sadly, so far fiddling around with the existing geometry (even if it was just removing stuff) resulted in very nasty BSP cuts. Perhaps I accidentally moved an object that should've been left untouched. Either way, I'll do another attempt and see if it works next time.

Maps done so far:

• CTF-Spirito
  • DM-Brickyard
  • DM-Coagulate
  • DM-Core
  • DM-Flux
  • DM-Hood
  • DM-Loathing
  • DM-Sorayama
  • DOM-Osiris

Maps remaining:

• CTF-Phalanx
  • CTF-Sepulchre
  • CTF-Stormfront
  • CTF-Sundial
  • DM-Canyon

Or would DM-CanyonFear make for a better filename?

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
I also tried to modify existing maps to match them the way they are in the PS2 version, but sadly, so far fiddling around with the existing geometry (even if it was just removing stuff) resulted in very nasty BSP cuts. Perhaps I accidentally moved an object that should've been left untouched. Either way, I'll do another attempt and see if it works next time.

oh i totally forgot about that, that is nasty. Epic is to blame, back then they wanted to produce as many maps as possible as fast as possible so they could meet the set release date. To do this they used lots of shoddy mapping techniques and dodgey tricks. These maps are literally falling apart at the seams. All you have to do is hit rebuild in some of the stock maps and the whole thing will fall apart in front of your eyes. unless you want to spend lots of time redoing BSP from scratch i don't think you should bother anymore with the stock UT maps.

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
Looking forward to seeing these, I never played any of the console versions of UT but am interested in these conversions/remakes of the official maps and how the layouts/gameplay compare to the levels designed for PC. :)

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Funny

It is funny to me that I just recently found out about these "exclusive" maps while reading the history of UT on this website. It made me interested to see if anyone had ported them over yet as I had suspected it had already been done.

RF_REX pointed me over to this and now I too am a person who wants to give everyone working on this a huge "pat on the back" and a even bigger "THANK YOU" for your efforts.

A thread like this one just further proves to me that UT and its fans still has a long long playabilty life to it still to come. I'll just sit back now and wait for the final package to be released. Thanks again to you all. Consider me subscribed as well!

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
oh i totally forgot about that, that is nasty. Epic is to blame, back then they wanted to produce as many maps as possible as fast as possible so they could meet the set release date. To do this they used lots of shoddy mapping techniques and dodgey tricks. These maps are literally falling apart at the seams. All you have to do is hit rebuild in some of the stock maps and the whole thing will fall apart in front of your eyes. unless you want to spend lots of time redoing BSP from scratch i don't think you should bother anymore with the stock UT maps.
Yep, I've tried hitting the rebuild button in KGalleon again, and even without changing anything to the geometry it still got the same screwed up results I described earlier. Like you said, I won't bother with these stock maps.

Stormfront is on its way. I hope I can actually release something pretty soon.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Indeed, exporting those maps also cause a lot of trouble and errors (usually "NULL brush reference" or something like that). At least it encourages you to remake maps so it would look even better :)

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
You know, every now and then i've conisdered just going through the stock maps and bringing them up to FoT and HOLP standards by adding trim, bloom, neato effects of that sort. It's always funny to be playing intensely on deck16 and then all of a sudden the map changes to one of the FoT maps and i think "Damn, this map looks good". The epic maps could benefit from an upgrade.... but damn epic and their shoddy mapping! :lol: Rebuild and die is the only way

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
Since these ported maps are so popular shouldn't them be included in the wiki w/ links?

(As time goes on, these forum pages become dust.)

Oh and Great job! I always appreciate these ports as I have no PS2 nor DC to play with.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Unfortunately I haven't had much time to work further on this, if you want excuses I'll tell you why: back when I started this project I had quit my studies at college because I didn't feel that was the thing I'd want to do for the rest of life. I neither had a job, so I had time in abundance to take on a lot, and I mean a LOT of creative projects, porting these levels included, so I went into a creative overdrive to decide what I would like to do next year. When I decided I wanted to go study photography next year I started taking on jobs to collect the required money to pay for these studies (I'd be crazy to let my parents pay for everything I want), and that's where the problem was: I found out that I took just too much **** on my plate to be allowed to properly work on while having a job.

So right now my situation is like this: I have at least two paintings that still need completion, there are a whole lot of books I still need to read, top of my head 6 videogames I still need to play/finish, and of course these levels I need to finish. One of the projects I finished is actually remixing almost the entire Unreal Tournament 3 soundtrack (I couldn't resist when I used the UT3 Music Extractor and found all those "divided" songs, waiting there to be united). I could post a sample song of what I did with it but I'm not sure if the copyright laws allow this.

Anyway, back to the point. This is where the good news comes, and that is that however slow, there still is progress, the project isn't dead. Even in this overly busy time Stormfront managed to develop (still kinda rough around the edges). Oh, and, two weeks from now, my contract at my work expires, so then I'll have all the time in the world to resume work on this once again.

Attachments

• StormfrontWIP.jpg
    StormfrontWIP.jpg
    726.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Thanks for the news and don't worry about it being too slow.