Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Boy A - 8/10

I ran across this on rottentomatoes and it was rated 91% so I figured I'd give it a shot. And wow, this is quite the hidden gem. Very depressing stuff, but a story well told. Beautifully acted and directed. Go see it now!

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - 9/10

An emotional story of a man who has a stroke and goes into what is known as 'locked in syndrome' essentially paralysing him and making him unable to speak. He is trained by two (very hot) speech therapists how to communicate with his eyelids. The movie manages to be humorous, insightful and gut wrenching all at once. The entire film is played from the first person perspective of the paralysed man in question (except for some flashbacks and when he imagines things).

You really feel the sense of being 'locked in' that is described (also referring to a diving bell - think of the big daddy suits in bioshock, but you can't get out. EVER).

Here is a trailer which pretty much gives the gist of it.

Totally worth watching.

Wow thanks this is now at the top of my to see list.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Clash of the Titans: Badass/10

Sure the quality is sub par and effects that were meant to be serious make you laugh, but the movie it self is just awesome.

I saw this ages ago in middle school Greek mythology classes. But found it today on Netflix streaming, had to watch it.

Good man! I love those old films with the stop motion effects.
Harryhausen is king!

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Jacob's Ladder. Weird. I never quite knew where I was with this movie - fantasy horror, conspiracy theory, anti-war? It's all three, really, with a somewhat anti-climactic ending that seems too easy considering the scenes leading up to it. Rich in symbolism, especially of the biblical kind, and with horror parts that were actually scary, it might have worked even better if it had concentrated on only that. Nevertheless, this one's a real keeper if you just let it work on you. 8/10

Agreed. The hospital scenes really freaked me out.

The Happening - 8/10

I really liked this movie. I heard lots of people complain about it (wah, trees? Wah), but I thought it was pretty damn good.

_Zd_Phoenix_

Queen of BuFdom
May 1, 2001
Over the street. With binoculars.
Visit site
Boy A - 8/10

I ran across this on rottentomatoes and it was rated 91% so I figured I'd give it a shot. And wow, this is quite the hidden gem. Very depressing stuff, but a story well told. Beautifully acted and directed. Go see it now!

It was a TV thing, but you're right, it was bloody brilliant. A really dark subject to begin with, but it's told from a perspective that I really don't think many people consider with crime. :tup:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Agreed. The hospital scenes really freaked me out.

The Happening - 8/10

I really liked this movie. I heard lots of people complain about it (wah, trees? Wah), but I thought it was pretty damn good.

Were you drunk when you saw this? You had to be to get past the wooden acting and plot.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
District 9- 10/10

Very well done. Went with a few co-workers and all of us spotted a video game references. Or just the fact we all work on video games we decided to attach the references from the games to what we saw in the film.

For example:
  • Instagib Rifle
  • Rail Gun
  • Mech Warrior or Dog from Half-Life 2
  • Gravity Gun

Overall good fun.

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
District 9 - 10/10

The first 10 I've given any movie EVER. I was floored with every aspect of this movie. It makes Cloverfield look like the steaming pile of sh*t that it is, not that they should be compared.

But hot damn, that was probably the greatest theater experience of my life. :)

Breadtruck

All's Well That Ends Well
Feb 6, 2005
Maine
Night of the Living Dead (1968) - 9/10

Found the DVD and decided to watch it. I found it entertaining, I laughed during quite a bit of it. I found some minor flaws, but it just made it more entertaining to watch :p Good movie though, I enjoyed it.

Was gonna go see District 9 tonight but decided to watch The Fifth Element on t.v. with my gf, who didn't want to go out. Judging from what I read on the forums and what my friend who did see it tells me...I made a bad ****in move tonight.

Oh yeah.

The Fifth Element -7.5/10

It's one of those movies that blew my socks off when I first saw it, and continued to be a fondly remembered flick over the years. Though when I watched it again tonight (first time I've sat through the whole thing in a good bit of time) I think it falls under the category of one of those kinds of movies that you still enjoy years later but you see it more clearly than you originally did. A lot of stuff in this flick has gone on to be relished in newer sci-fi movies (the space resort, for instance, is very similarly reused in Wall-E, and the futuristic tech-slums in the urban locales was widely replicated in Idiocracy, only in even more of parody sense). That being said, when I first saw it I was really fond of some of the Bladerunner moments it has. And other novelties in this film still stand out...like the Multipass, the hilarity of the tin-foil walls that Leeloo jumps through, the ridiculous cop uniforms with the gigantic light on the chest, the multi-purpose gun that Gary Oldman uses, and of course the exaggerated fashion styles which all sci-fi movies need.

What hasn't lasted are things like the story (which is largely stupid, if you really pay attention to it), much of the music (besides the dark battle music that reappears a lot in the score and is cool, most of the music is kind of clunky and jarring). I also think Chris Tucker kinda steals too much of the movie. He's actually kind of funny (watching him act like a fruit basket DJ still amuses me) but he's overused a bit I think. When he shows up he effectively kills any illusion that the movie was trying to be serious.

I remember when I first saw it, I said to a friend something along the lines of "this one is gonna be remembered for a while." A little over ten years later, I gotta retract that a bit. It's not a landmark sci-fi flick or nothing. But it's fun. And it has Gary Oldman in it, and he's never bad.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
District 9 - 8/10

The cloverfield type filming was what really intrigued me about this film, but once the credits started rolling I felt that I saw a film that was executed in a very original and creative way. Camera work was a bit spazzy in some areas, but really that was the only complaint. Also just in case someone asks the question as to why they could understand the aliens language, this is my theory. Kinda like how we allowed immigrants over into our country and learned their language over time, the same applies to the prawn and south africans.

Overall its a film that I would gladly go see again with a friend, and that doesn't happen very often.

Not a spoiler in a sense, but did anyone get a chuckle at the slow motion "you want some cake" :lol:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
It wasn't Cloverfield type filming though. Cloverfield was all done on a handheld shaky cam. District 9 was done on "real" cameras that were actually still. When did it get spazzy?

I chuckled at "this is why we abort" when he was talking about the child alien. :lol:

Nobody else in the theater caught it though. It was a really subtle side comment.