UT-Files down

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
unreal-games.livejournal.com
Well...

That does put him in a better light but it still doesn't answer a few other questions.
Like I said, I'm on a guhzillion UT/Unreal forums.

Don't know how many of you are on this one · http://www.unrealadmin.org

Lil' update for folks:

Last thing most folks heard from Skillz:
http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showpost.php?p=167802&postcount=36

Question I hoped would reach him:
http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showpost.php?p=167901&postcount=39

Answer from a friend of Skillz:
http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showpost.php?p=167904&postcount=40

To those that didn't read any of that, your files are still out there. UT-Files may be down but they're being moved somewhere you'll eventually, hopefully, be able to access again.
What do you want that I do?
The photo of the skin at the start of this thread is the actual original one:
http://www.unrealfuzz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=385

Switch it to that.

Otherwise people are gonna download it and wonder why it doesn't have yellow eyes.

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
You guys realize that losing that many custom files -which most mods were buggy and half-assed- is like giving modders a second chance. Just think on how servers used to run whatever was coming out new to give the game a different twist. Although, most of those mods weren't used again because they were buggy, or had conflicts with other mods, or gave mismatches, or they weren't that useful. Now that we've seen that very few mods are being ran in most servers now days we can simply make new stuff that work properly with other mods and start fresh.

Yeah, losing those files isn't a bad thing after all. If you think back to when the game first came out, you could only wait for new mods and ideas to be released. In my opinion, this really doesn't make any change on the game itself since there are plenty of better/newer projects being worked-on then the old stuff that was there anyways. So, instead of thinking negative about all this, think positive and give a helping hand to fill a new site with newer mods and stuff.

medor

Mar 15, 2009
It's not fairplay to impute motives.
I recognize there in about the guy who tested nothing that i added but already criticizing everything in advance.:mad:

everything is tested offline and online

ZeaLitY

Modernaire
Feb 28, 2008
How are we on the Bunnytrack maps hosted there? I ripped the entire BT folder July 16, 2012 out of fear something like this would happen. There are assuredly some dupes in there, but altogether it's 2,193 files, 9.97 GB. If this part of our resurrected archive is missing let me know; I can upload it to my server for inclusion in the new site.

medor

Mar 15, 2009
How are we on the Bunnytrack maps hosted there? I ripped the entire BT folder July 16, 2012 out of fear something like this would happen. There are assuredly some dupes in there, but altogether it's 2,193 files, 9.97 GB. If this part of our resurrected archive is missing let me know; I can upload it to my server for inclusion in the new site.

13,9 Go for 2 470 files

medor

Mar 15, 2009
I don't suppose anyone made backups of the redirects at all, did they?

I have do it and i'm uploading at http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2162

The new redirect it at unrealkillers.com
http://www.utredirect.co.nr/uz/ you cant' see files it's for not abuse download.
For see if one file is on you can do like that
exemple $CW-Smallmountain.unr.uz
http://www.utredirect.co.nr/uz/$CW-Smallmountain.unr.uz

For set it as redirect

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://utredirect.co.nr/uz/ free one from unrealkillers.com
ProxyServerHost=
ProxyServerPort=3128
UseCompression=True

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I have do it and i'm uploading at http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2162

The new redirect it at unrealkillers.com
http://www.utredirect.co.nr/uz/ you cant' see files it's for not abuse download.
For see if one file is on you can do like that
exemple $CW-Smallmountain.unr.uz
http://www.utredirect.co.nr/uz/$CW-Smallmountain.unr.uz

For set it as redirect

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://utredirect.co.nr/uz/ free one from unrealkillers.com
ProxyServerHost=
ProxyServerPort=3128
UseCompression=True

Nice. Thanks. Will this all encompass the uz2 files as well?

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
...you cant' see files it's for not abuse download.

What constitutes download abuse? The way sites just suddenly disappear (and as long as people rely on centralized, single sources for these things, which is quite silly), I am thankful that people rip sites.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Here's a list of all the uz2 files that were hosted on UT-Files.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120505180344/http://uz2.ut-files.com/

I don't know if will be of any use to anyone though at this point.

EDIT: I just learned how to read and found out the uz2 files are safe somewhere. That's absolutely fine. We don't need the files at all right away. For a second, I thought Skillz made no backups and just trashed all the files. In which case, I take back about 99% of what I originally said. Still though, I really hope Skillz doesn't just make backups and then forget about them.

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Last edited:

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
I wouldn't put much faith in any free.fr mirror. It's against their terms to use them as a file hosting/serving service (last time I checked in 2009 while researching international file mirrors).

Last edited:

medor

Mar 15, 2009
I wouldn't put much faith in any free.fr mirror. It's against their terms to use them as a file hosting/serving service (last time I checked in 2009 while researching international file mirrors).

Is that you want to bring something constructive to UT?

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
Account has been suspended.

Shit NO since it is one of the best (and one of the few) Unreal file storages around. I can't send messages to Skillz in any way so posting here to ask what's up.

I really don't want that website to disappear forever.

The site is not gone forever. It wil be back when I am financially able to afford it.

Oh great. ANOTHER awesome site shut down without any prior warning.

"Whoopsy! Sorry guise but I'm not doing this anymore. Find your own crap. LOL"
*shuts down ENTIRE site*

Please understand. I'm not ticked off at him just because he shut it down but that he did so without telling anyone first so they could secure backups.

I gave multiple warnings on the site. Not my fault you never visited it.

A couple of things, and I mean absolutely no disrespect towards Skillz. We had our problems personally but he did far more for UT than I or most all of us here ever will.

If you mean no disrespect, then you'd keep your worthless mouth shut about it.

First, you assume responsibility once you self-designate as 'caretaker' and ask people to send you their files. Part of that responsibility is ensuring they are shared if you decide not to continue on. Yes, it's certainly his right to spend his money as he sees fit but it's another matter to gather everything from everyone and then (without warning) take it all offline.

I never once self-designated myself as "caretaker" for anything. I simply made my PERSONAL collection of UT files available to everyone at MY cost. So you can end that right now. I owe no one anything.

A little less than a year ago I had a conversation with Skillz at UA. I asked him for permission to site rip UT-Files and I wanted to know when I could do it and not affect his peak times. I had a feeling he was almost done and I didn't want to lose the things he had, since much of it existed only there. Anyway his answer was he would not help me and within a day he configured the site to resist site ripping. It's my own fault because I began a rip two days previous to that but felt uncomfortable because I didn't want to burn up a chunk of his BW without permission and so that's why I asked. I should have just kept my mouth shut and went ahead with things.

False. I never did anything to prevent anyone from ripping the contents of the site. Your IP, on the other hand, has been permanently banned on my server every since you took it upon yourself to delete the files I hosted at PlanetMonsterHunt.com. If you were able to access the site, then it was because IPTables wasn't doing it's job and/or you got a new IP address.

You damn right I wont help you with anything. You NEVER follow through with ANYTHING you have ever done, probably true for your entire life. Hell, after doing some reading around lately, it seems you've tried to start your own public redirect on a hosted server... that didn't even last a whole 24 hours before you threw in the towel because you obviously know nothing about security. Things are different when you don't have NAT protecting you. ;)

I have not cared one bit about people ripping the contents of UT-Files or any of it's sub-domains. The only people I regularly banned from the site was ones who downloaded MORE than that archive contained. For example. If all the files were 80GB and someone downloaded 100GB worth of data in a single month, I banned them. They're just wasting resources for no reason. Those bans lasted 60 days. Except for your lifetime ban. (This never happened on the redirects, only on the archives and it was only ut-files.com that it happened frequently. I suspect it was spammer bots anyway)

Now, you can rest assured these files will not be shared by him. I've already offered to NewEgg an HDD to his house with money for his time if he will just copy the files and let me share them. I've proven I'll share everything I get somehow (All UT skins torrent, My old siterips collection, the humongous mappack torrent, etc) and this would be no different. He hasn't answered me and the reason why is that it would end his relevancy to UT if someone else had his collection. No, he's going to keep it and sadly UT will suffer badly for it.

Again, I'm not taking the time out to help you do anything. I don't give a rats ass what you think you can prove. You couldn't even keep a forum running for more than half a year hosted on a free server... or anything you've tried to "fix" in the past. Absolutely, nothing.

When I get the funds to open another server, all the files I have backed up will be uploaded to the site. I have over 600GB worth of Unreal related files across all the domains. My ISP also gives me a monthly cap, so don't count on me uploading it to other places anytime soon either. It's not cheap when you go over your allowed bandwidth.

Don't give me that crap, Al. I can't see everything and I don't have the means to back everything up from every freaking site that hosts UT's files.

I posted plenty of warnings on the site last year. I'm not doing that again. It almost cost me dearly when people started ripping the site last year when I lost my job and the future of ut-files.com was uncertain. I was within' 5% of going over my monthly bandwidth limit on the server that first month I mentioned ut-files.com might be going away when I lost my job.

Funny that you're mad that I took the time and money to spend on something you "can't" do... exactly what is stopping you again?

Now, was it in his right to shut it down? Sure. Just as someone has every right to blare stupid music in the middle of the day. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And Skillz DEFINITELY shouldn't have. But he did.

What a stupid analogy. Pretty sure it wont cost someone over 10% of their income to blare music down the street in the middle of the day, which mind you, is perfectly legal. At night on the other hand is a different story. Though I am curious as to why I should be responsible for spending MY own money on MY own project to host files that I gathered for the most part ON MY OWN for you, to sit back and enjoy the benefits for FREE? Explain that to me.

He contributed a lot to the UT scene but if he keeps this up, the memory of him shutting down the site without any prior warning when it had people's files donated to it will taint the contributions he has made to the scene and maybe even override them. And don't tell me it won't. I've seen it before. People don't like getting shoved off to the side especially when they've contributed their work to something.

Nearly EVERY single download on the site was from downloading it on my personal connection, logging into the server, then uploading the file myself. Very, very few people uploaded zip/archive files to the public FTP server. Nearly 97% of all the files uploaded there were for the free redirects. You're welcome to get a refund on that if you wish.

Additionally, I don't owe you or anyone anything. 90% of the cost of ut-files.com and planetmonsterhunt.com came out of my own pocket. With the exception of the very helpful donators over the years, I kept the site running on my own, with my own funds and my own time. I made $0 on the site. Since I had been hosting a server since 2003 when I first started utmh.com to host Monster Hunt content that I later changed to PlanetMonsterHunt.com I paid between $100 to $175 a month for a server. Lets average that to say $120 per month since 2003. That's over $14k in 10 years that I've paid to host UT content. I could have some nice things with that kind of money. When you start to do that, then you can sit behind a computer and cry about something going away that you never paid for.

It wasn't until sometime last year that I started to ask for help with adding files because it was just too overwhelming with the little time I have, even with my old job. I just don't spend much time on the PC anymore and when I do, I want to enjoy the games I have. With that being said, some files were uploaded by people who I trusted FTP access with. Though, learning from my past mistakes... I had backups of everything that they had access to, just in case they tried to pull something funny on me.

This is one of the reasons I never bothered uploading to his site even when he gave me a direct folder to upload whatever I wanted.

Oh whatever. The main reason why you never bothered to upload the files yourself was because you had no way of counting how many times someone downloaded your files. Your ego was to blame for that. It's the reason why you kept bothering me to put a download counter on the files downloaded so you could stroke your ego more.

That was nearly 4 years ago and look at you now. Riding the high horse acting like you're better. Feel free to host your own content on your own servers.

Al, cut the bullshit. Yes, we ARE entitled to that stuff. We entrusted it to Skillz and he failed that trust. If he had said a month before: guys, I'm closing the site, grab the content while you can - this entire mess would never take place. There were many files there that were ONLY there due to being lost from other sites and now they will be lost completely. The full scope of the damage is unknown. People created all this stuff, working for hours, days, weeks, months and now you're saying Skillz had the RIGHT to just dump it all away?! Yeah, maybe it couldn't be helped but that doesn't make the problem go away. Skillz breached people's trust, period.

Say what? You aren't entitled to a damn thing either. Last time I checked, you didn't pay for the hosting. I did. If you relied on ut-files.com to preserve your files, then big deal. I still have them and they'll be back. People spending hours, days, weeks is the reason WHY I hosted ut-files.com to preserve those files, not the other way around. People put those hours, weeks, days, years, whatever into their mods, maps, etc... long before ut-files.com was around. I breached no ones trust. You're just butthurt that something FREE is no longer free. Maybe if you spent a little money on some of the finer things in life, they'd still be around.

You're more than welcome to start your own ut-files.com type hosting service.

What does it matter how old the game is? Point is that thing could have been done in more responsible way. If you don't care about the game and/or content that may be possibly lost you're free not to participate in this discussion.

Nothing is lost. As I have stated before, the files are stored between two hard drives at my home. So unless some catastrophic event takes out two hard drives in two completely different systems, then they aren't lost. If you cared so much about losing such precious data, nothing in this world is stopping you from buying your own hosting and serving the files to anyone who wants them; my only advice is to not take advice from Kelly. He obviously don't know shit about hosting.

I did see it and I did try to copy UT-Files, which Skillz prevented. I've also openly offered to NewEgg a HDD to his house so he can copy the files and send them to me. I can assure you I'll share them and everyone will have a crack at recovering.

It's not so much that he shut it down, it's that he is making no effort at all to mitigate the damage it's causing. This can be done at no cost to him so it moots the excuse that he needs money to do it. No, he's going to sit on those files and no one is going to get them. People should remember this part if he reopens, as that's the part that rubs the wrong way.

Nothing stopped you from copying UT-Files... except your whole banned IP thing. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to get around that block though, it's just not very convenient to have to download hundreds of GB worth of data through unreliable proxy servers. Then again, you could have got a paid proxy server and be fine.

Yes you offered to send me a hard drive, yes I refused to help you. I still refuse to help you. You should have thought about that before deleting files that I, to this day, can not replace. You did teach me one thing though. Backup, backup, and if in doubt. Backup.

It's causing no damage. The game will continue to be played just as it has before ut-files.com was started by Baiter, and before I started PlanetMonsterHunt.com back around 2004, and before I hosted UTMH.com in 2003 and before sportclan.com back in 2001... UT needs players, not forum ninjas.

What constitutes download abuse? The way sites just suddenly disappear (and as long as people rely on centralized, single sources for these things, which is quite silly), I am thankful that people rip sites.

Nearly all the content on ut-files.com is from me ripping the content from other sites. Though I use various programs to get the job done, I do it in the least intrustive way. Nearly all of them have a way to limit the number of inqueries and the bandwidth it downloads at. Personally I have no problem with people ripping the sites; I only ask that you do it responsibly. IE: Don't let site rippers continously download the same files over and over sort of thing.

Medor was the only other person who offers a similar service to ut-files.com. Why don't you ask him how many hours he spends a day searching for files to add to his repository. I bet it's more than everyone in this thread spend PLAYING the game. Nothing stopped anyone from doing the same thing. Nothing.

Here's a list of all the uz2 files that were hosted on UT-Files.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120505180344/http://uz2.ut-files.com/

I don't know if will be of any use to anyone though at this point.

EDIT: I just learned how to read and found out the uz2 files are safe somewhere. That's absolutely fine. We don't need the files at all right away. For a second, I thought Skillz made no backups and just trashed all the files. In which case, I take back about 99% of what I originally said. Still though, I really hope Skillz doesn't just make backups and then forget about them.

Like I said already, just repeating myself a lot here. I have backups of the entire site that was ut-files.com. It's over 600GB worth of data stored on two 3TB hard drives in two separate systems (My main rig and my NAS) and as soon as I get funds to get another hard drive, I will put them on it too until I get enough hard drives to get some level of redundancy on my NAS. With the huge pay cut I took last year with this new job, it wont be anytime soon I can assure that.

Additionally, I may be getting a new (cheaper) Internet package from my Cable Company that will more than triple my current monthly cap. Going to see how well that goes, if all goes well I might be able to start sending these files out to people who wish to host them somewhere.

Once I finish college and get a real job, I intend to do ut-files.com "right" that's for sure, but if I can afford to at least get it back where I left off before then, then I will. I just can't justify spending $165 a month on a dedicated server to host the content I hosted.

Although with all this negatively, I'm not seeing the point in hosting the content for people who aren't appreciative of a good thing. Had I known this was going to happen, I would have dropped UT-Files.com back when I first lost my job and never came back. :(