UE3 - UT3 Cinematics In Matinee Tutorial

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MualamaAlien

Giggity Giggity
Mar 1, 2009
Earth
K so here's a little tutorial to get you started (with my technique at least, i don't know if there are others)

First we'll set up the skeletal mesh actor.

Go into your generic browser and open up the characters folder. Find the CH_IronGuard_Male file and open it. Find the mesh of the entire body (it has a pink border). Then select it in the browser and go into your level and right click on the ground and add it as a skeletal mesh. Move the character until it is placed as you want it.
Now for the skeletal mesh properties.
Double click on the skeletal mesh and open up its properties. Go to the movement tab and change the physics to PHYS_Interpolating. I had trouble with this at first because if you do not do this the movement track later on malfunctions.
Now open up the generic browser window again, and open the CH_AnimHuman file. Select only physics assets and select SK_CH_BaseMale_Physics in the browser window. Open up the skeletal mesh actor properties again and open up the SkeletalMeshActor tab, then the SkeletalMeshComponent tab, then scroll down to the PhysicsAsset box and press the button "Use current selection in browser" .
Now go back to the browser window and in CH_AnimHuman select only animations and select the K_AnimHuman_BaseMale Animset. This anim set has all the basic animations for the male characters. (You can view these animations by double clicking on it in the browser and opening the anim tab) This is what i used in my demo level. Now go back to the skeletal mesh's properties and in the SkeletalMeshComponent tab create a new AnimSet (green cross) and press the "Use current selection in browser" button.
Now we are done with the Characters properties.

Since there are numerous camera tutorials i am going to skip that part. (If you need one, google it, i believe 3dbuzz did one)

open up kismet

Create a new matinee and open it. Select your skeletal mesh actor in the perspective window. In the matinee window create a new skeletal Mesh Group and name it something like "CharacterDude". This will automatically bring up a movement and Anim track underneath this object. Click on the main group tab and go to the properties window below in the matinee window. (If it isn't there go to the Window file thing next to File/Edit/View and put properties on. Now with that selected go down to the "GroupAnimSets" and with the animset we used earlier selected in the generic browser create a new object and press the UCSIB button. (Use Current Selection In Browser). Now you can select the Anim track and place keys where you can select which animation you want. For animations like running which you want to repeat, right click on the actual track that shows the animation and make it looping. (Don't worry, this will only loop till the next animation). You can use the movement track along with animations to make the character move around and animate correctly. It takes a bit to get used to but once you get the hang of it it will be a piece of cake.

To create the sounds like music and footsteps you can create new Empty groups (I would recommend a group for each sound). Then in that empty group (name it something appropriate like footsteps or music) you can create sound tracks. When you have a sound cue selected in your browser, you can place keys with these sounds. Using this method you can put in all the sounds you need.

For explosions you will need a particle group. Add a particle emmitter in your level, like an explosion or something, and with it selected create a new particle group. This will automatically create a toggle track as well which can turn these particle affects on and off. (Pair explosions with sound tracks as well.)

I've only recently gotten all this stuff together so i am by no means a super duper expert on this stuff. But if you have any questions, once again, feel free to PM me :)

Happy Modding!

MualamaAlien

Giggity Giggity
Mar 1, 2009
Earth
More Info

I forgot to include how to make these cinematic sequences work in-game.

Once you have the matinee done, right click to the left of the matinee and go to actions/toggle and add a toggle cinematic mode. In this nodes properties you can select whether you want to disable the players movement, make the player dissapear, etc. Now make a player object by right clicking and going to Variable/Object and adding a player object. Connect this object to the target of the cinematic mode toggle. Then connect the cinematic mode to the matinee between the out and play nodes. Then select the cinematic toggle and player target, and copy paste them. Move them to the right of the matinee and get rid of the out-play connection (alt click). Then connect the finished-disable. Depending on how you want to trigger this cinematic you can have a trigger, event, etc. For this create a new event, level beginning and connect it to the Enable node on the first cinematic toggle we created.

Now when you play the level, the cinematic will occur.

Hope this helps!

Happy Modding!

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Hey wow thanks! This helps a ton! :D This might actually be enough to start a simple movie now :2thumb:.