Pupae=Baby Skaarj ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
It is not coding oversight....besides they perhaps did not intend that, they just created the pupae, even in singular form...not counting the existing "pupae" word...
so you are both wrong there darkpluse and GE. :)
Don't try to correct everything by the standards or what....

Why does the beta spirevillage sunspire says: Safe heaven for those who seek piece are welcome, or something like that then? :lol:
Instead of peace in final version, there is piece in beta. :)
Ok that is different thing, but still :)

War_Master

May 27, 2005
Exus, you're looking at the wrong article.
http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Pupa

And note that "Pupa" is the singular, not "Pupae"! So fix that, War Master ;)

Pupae is the name of the class that was given by the programmers of the game and it only describes a single member of that specie.

Just like my real name is written in plural doesnt mean there's 2 or more of me, see. I think you're going over your head as always and need to stop trying to convince hundreds of people here to follow the rules that you want them to as you want them to. Besides, I will not alter a default package of the game or write the name of the script I wrote here just to make you happy because I do follow the rules of what the community knows and understands best. I really dont give a damn if ae means plural in english when this game is played in so many other countries with different languages and they know that that alien race is called Pupae, period. Well, I hope I wrote this good enough in english so you can understand it, ok Mr UT1.5?

It's not really a big deal. For those who don't speak English as a native language....technically speaking it's an English typo. The game designers who made Unreal speak English. And it hardly matters in the context of the game. This isn't the first instance where this issue has been brought up in forums dating back to '98. And it's not the first coding/word discrepancy they put into the game (Krall and Kraal comes to mind). It doesn't matter that it's an English typo because the game has been out for ten years. The Pupae is an alien and the title sort of takes on a persona of its own. Even if the original context was incorrect. But at the very least, if you travel to an English speaking country and go to a zoo where they have butterfly exhibits and you see a single Pupa in a cage and say, "oh look at the Pupae" and someone corrects you, deal with the fact that you're saying it wrong.

Last edited:

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
summary: i think we agree on that pupae are babyskaarj so to say.that the queen gives them birth is also a matter of fact.ty for info all.
plus skaarj are predators and pupae are the lil facehuggers from the movie.
alienqueen is the queen brought to unreal too.

open for discussion: other species like the mercaneries or brutes...
they seem to own high technologies as they carry weapons.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Brutes are created by the Skaarj.

Mercenaries are... another, indipendent race of aliens, and there isn't a lot of official info about them, aside the fact that they are tough as heck. They are the rivals of the Skaarj.

BlackCheetah

Jan 22, 2008
Brutes are created by the Skaarj.

Mercenaries are... another, indipendent race of aliens, and there isn't a lot of official info about them, aside the fact that they are tough as heck. They are the rivals of the Skaarj.

Slith,Titan,Tentacle=Native of Napali

Queen= Big ass momma, pupae grow fast into her as you see she still has pupae legs on her.
Skaarjwarrior=stage of warrior classes where they are mature but they keep adapting or growing.
Warlord=Sick minded skaarj that can sex the queen up. Last stage of skaarj males. Tail removed.

Krall=Skaarj slave
Brute=Genetically Engineered idiots
Nali=Kenyans of Na pali

Mercenary=Scientists Aliens not for domination of universe but to study.

Stone Titan=King of Titans

SkaarjTrooper=The more advanced skaarj, the skaarjwarrior descents technology is inferior. Skaarjwarrior and Trooper classes have racism hate.

Fly=Diseased fly with skaarjilitnas (Skaarj anger)
Devilfish=Fish that mutated from skaarj waste
Squid=Likes to hug

IceSkaarj=Abandoned idiots that just guard what they were taught to guard, they are frozen berserkers but cold has tamed them down.

Warlords are part of SkaarjTRooper classes due to technology advancement... and little or no tail, They are still hated by skaarjwarrior class because they are more intelligent and they are selfish.
Warlords can't be from skaarjwarrior class because their physique is way different.

SkaarjTrooper last stage is Warlord
Skaarjwarrior last stage is berserker where they are too big to be controlled and have become very primal and animalistic
Pupae are first stages of baby queens they aren't skaarj males, Skaarj males are born as skaarj completely.
Skaarj males are born from queen's womb while pupae are from eggs.
SkaarjTRooper are born from her womb, and skaarjwarriors are either the retards or the southern race

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Mercenary:
Have a profound love for creating complicated and easy-to-get-lost-in bases. They do it with the sole intention of making "mercenaries funniest home videos". These consist out of confused and raging terrans/skaarj finding their way through their maze-like bases.

Whoever makes the most frustrating base (and if the enemy subject ends up commiting sepukku), wins 1000 mercenary coins (which is like a lot of money on their world).

Praised mercenary architects are the creators of terraniux and the lost base on Napali.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Btw according to the sources pupa is a latin word, not an english one...

EDIT: As for this topic, I believe we should ask someone from Epic whether Pupae is singular for them too...or how did they intend it....
You see it can be new word just based on the pupa/e word, because skaarj pupae is not technically pupa.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
As for this topic, I believe we should ask someone from Epic whether Pupae is singular for them too...or how did they intend it....
You see it can be new word just based on the pupa/e word, because skaarj pupae is not technically pupa.

1. You assume that they actually are going to care enough to answer this burning question. Why?
  2. Does it really matter? If so, give explanations. And not just ones that might not apply to this case. Such as the "Singular is Pupa in English" reason.
  3. Unless you can provide other reasons, please shut up.
Seriously. This is something to totally lose sleep over, guys. Leo(T.C.K.)'s life will be forever incomplete unless he solves this mystery.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Let's all them only Pupae as they are supposed to be and kthxbye, as everyone did in this long decade.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
  1. You assume that they actually are going to care enough to answer this burning question. Why?
  2. Does it really matter? If so, give explanations. And not just ones that might not apply to this case. Such as the "Singular is Pupa in English" reason.
  3. Unless you can provide other reasons, please shut up.
Seriously. This is something to totally lose sleep over, guys. Leo(T.C.K.)'s life will be forever incomplete unless he solves this mystery.

What the hell.
I just wanted to bring into the topic more light and that all sides can be happy and you go this way against me?

I said: Ask Epic about it, they can explain it properly so one side of us can shut up (but still can call them what they want).
I was just trying to be neutral and see what happens.

As to Mr.Prophet: Pupa is not called Pupa in czech (I even forgot before what the word means and it does not sound english even) anyway (my native language), anyway I just wanted to say that this whole ae thing is not even from english, got it? Unlike what some people might think..
And es many languages have part of that and that, but....meh..........................this probably has no value for you all whatsoever.

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I was just playing MH-Pupae and I saw a skaarj fighting against those red "Pupas". I wonder if they changed the script since they're custom ones because they're not supposed to fight against each other.

Oompa Pumpas rule!

Boy, I love my UT1.835!

As to Mr.Prophet: Pupa is not called Pupa in czech

I realize that.

anyway I just wanted to say that this whole ae thing is not even from english, got it? Unlike what some people might think..

As I said, some words in English (especially our scientific terminology) adopt Latin influences into the language. Some words come over whole, like Pupa and its plural. Meaning that they are one of the same. Pupa means what it does, whether in its Latin origin or how it used in English. Therefore my point remains. They used the word Pupa to describe Skaarj babies (which goes with the implication that Skaarj have insect-like lifecycles.) But even despite the plural -ae issue, there is also the issue that Pupa is supposed to mean Adult, and Larva means baby...as the BU wiki page mentions. It's all perplexing, and Epic never really explained it. What I think is that someone on the development team was just ignorant of the Larva/Pupa life-process and made a mistake. And then made a plural typo for good measure. It's not the first time Epic has cut corners...

Games sometimes have spelling and grammar mistakes. It happens. Gamers move on. Well, some of us.